British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

Dave+Jules Feb 21st 2010 2:33 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8362485)
Don't think I ever said I was not proud to be British. I was meerly pointing out aspects of the cultural decline of the UK, that is but one type of example, the entire thread contains many examples of the decline in the UK society. I haven't got the time or inclantion to list all the examples in regard to not flying the flag

re what I hope to achieve well I plan on educating the 33 Million Canadians who are not UK expats how to speak the queens English as she is the head of state yet:p.

Its Football not Soccer, Its a Pavement not a Sidewalk, Its a Boot not a Trunk, Its a Bonnet not a Hood, its a Central reservation not a median, its a Body Warmer not a Vest. Oh and Fanny is not your bottom :o (I still can't work out how that got lost in translation across the Atlantic).

Good luck with the education piece, although my project team now use words such as: "Stroppy", "Flipping", "Mardy" and a few others that regularly leave my Nottingham educated lips.:D

PS On the education piece try subtle explanations when a 50 year old church going woman who doesnt drink alcohol, when she asks you what a Wanker is (she heard it on Coronation Street).

hampshire Feb 21st 2010 4:05 pm

My take on this is that the UK are too scared to say no. Instead we have to keep all the minorities happy at the expense of the majority. I have just read the following article:
http://news.aol.co.uk/harman-plays-down-school-skirt-ban/article/20100221083541686882880?icid=main|uk|dl1|link4|htt p%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fharman-plays-down-school-skirt-ban%2Farticle%2F20100221083541686882880
This is from the deputy leader of our Government and shows you how the UK and Europe have completely lost the plot! We have ridiculous health and safety laws which takes away the fact that accidents happen and always have. We have to watch what we say and do so as not to offend everyone. My issue isn't just with the UK- the downturn and demise has really been since our Government handed power and lawmaking to Brussels without us even having a referendum. Everything here is done underhand. I am under no illusion that Canada have the same issues but my understanding (and I do welcome your comments as a potential immigrant!) is that there is not so much madness. The police have their hands tied. I live in a small village and a friend's daughter was beaten up quite badly. The thugs said they didn't do it and the victim said they did (her face was black and blue so I don't think she would have done this to herself!) and the police had to let them off as there was a 'conflicting' story!!! Of course there would be- they won't admit it!!! You can't shop to the police safely without fear of recrimination and the conflicting evidence issue pops up again. Gosh- I could go on forever. The long and short of this is that I don't want my daughter growing up in this environment and I don't see things changing for the better.

JonboyE Feb 21st 2010 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bali2010 (Post 8361218)
that must be a different uk to the one I'm living in:lol:

John Wyndham wrote a short story based on the idea that the Universe was continuously dividing. The hero of the story had found a way to travel between the various universes. In one the point of divergence was only an hour ago so it was virtually the same, in another the divergence must have been several years ago because the woman who was his wide in the "real" world was married to his best friend. In yet another he had left school without any qualifications so he had a completely different job and consequently a completely different life.

I can't help but think this must be true reading these threads - both about Canada and the UK. The experience of Vancouver that some people describe is so completely different from mine that I can't help feeling they must be in a different Universe that diverged many years ago.

JonboyE Feb 21st 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by hampshire (Post 8362677)
My take on this is that the UK are too scared to say no. Instead we have to keep all the minorities happy at the expense of the majority.

Protecting the minority from the tyranny of the majority is almost the definition of a civilized society. Canada is no different.

Bali2010 Feb 21st 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 8362718)
John Wyndham wrote a short story based on the idea that the Universe was continuously dividing. The hero of the story had found a way to travel between the various universes. In one the point of divergence was only an hour ago so it was virtually the same, in another the divergence must have been several years ago because the woman who was his wide in the "real" world was married to his best friend. In yet another he had left school without any qualifications so he had a completely different job and consequently a completely different life.

I can't help but think this must be true reading these threads - both about Canada and the UK. The experience of Vancouver that some people describe is so completely different from mine that I can't help feeling they must be in a different Universe that diverged many years ago.

Me too
:thumbup:

I also get reminded of an old advert about perspectives - will go hunt it down

Edit : link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKScopMnKI

dboy Feb 21st 2010 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8362396)
Well lets see, there was the recent issue of Met Police officers who were told they couldn't where the Union jack on their uniform, then there was an issue a few years back with Worksop town hall banning the Union Jack being flown at the town hall through fear of offending people. Arsenal FC banned the flying of National Flags in its stadium, There are other examples too.

Thankfully The Met and Worksop council saw sense and did a u turn.

I was home for a visit a few years ago, and my elderly mother and I went out for a bite to eat in a pub on a Sunday afternoon in Stalybridge. I was wearing a blue polo shirt that had a very simple St George's cross over the heart barey 4 inches. I was denied entry because, according to the oaf who was the door, said That's footie gear - even though I pointed out that it was the English flag and I was a copper and my mum and I would be on out best behviour, he told me to f**k off and said I should know better being a copper. My mum hit him with her brolly.

R I C H Feb 21st 2010 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8362773)
I was home for a visit a few years ago, and my elderly mother and I went out for a bite to eat in a pub on a Sunday afternoon in Stalybridge. I was wearing a blue polo shirt that had a very simple St George's cross over the heart barey 4 inches. I was denied entry because, according to the oaf who was the door, said That's footie gear - even though I pointed out that it was the English flag and I was a copper and my mum and I would be on out best behviour, he told me to f**k off and said I should know better being a copper. My mum hit him with her brolly.

If you take your elderly Mum to an establishment for lunch that requires an oaf on the door, you deserve all the hassle that entails ;)

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2010 5:08 pm

re what I hope to achieve well I plan on educating the 33 Million Canadians who are not UK expats how to speak the queens English as she is the head of state yet

Perhaps you should look to your own house first before attempting to educate Canadians. Have you heard how the various areas of the UK bastardize the Q(note the capital)een'(note the apostrophe)s English?

dboy Feb 21st 2010 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 8362779)
If you take your elderly Mum to an establishment for lunch that requires an oaf on the door, you deserve all the hassle that entails ;)

I forget the name of the place, it was actually one of the better places. Stralybridge can get quite rowdy so all the pubs in the centre have door men on the weekends, even in the later afternoon.

I'm a copper and an ex-Manchester lad at that, I know where to go and not go thank-you very much.

R I C H Feb 21st 2010 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8362789)
I forget the name of the place, it was actually one of the better places. Stralybridge can get quite rowdy so all the pubs in the centre have door men on the weekends, even in the later afternoon.

I'm a copper and an ex-Manchester lad at that, I know where to go and not go thank-you very much.

No need to be sensitive, I was just pulling your leg.

I've never come across anywhere that's needed an oaf on the door, except nightclubs - it's a poor reflection on society that some communities need that sort of protection on a Sunday afternoon, or anytime really.

Jingsamichty Feb 21st 2010 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362787)
Perhaps you should look to your own house first before attempting to educate Canadians. Have you heard how the various areas of the UK bastardize the Q(note the capital)een'(note the apostrophe)s English?

Wot's up wiv "u"?

If you're going to play Teacher, get it right!

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2010 5:49 pm

I am always willing/eager to learn. Please enlighten me?

Novocastrian Feb 21st 2010 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362860)

Yo merely missed ot a letter Ald Yin.

I tut in the face of such wanton pedantry.

Jingsamichty Feb 21st 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 8362860)

In your haste to insert an apostrophe into the word "Queen's", you mislaid the "u".

Auld Yin Feb 21st 2010 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8362981)
In your haste to insert an apostrophe into the word "Queen's", you mislaid the "u".

There's a u after the Q? As I said I'm always willing to learn, so thank you both in my qest for knowledge..