British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

thepeacock Feb 25th 2010 12:58 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Yeah course they did:

"Political asylum..." "benefits" "call my lawyer"

dude we are talking about vagrants here..Illegal immigrants, gypsies, et. Not people who fly over with £25,000 in the bank and have applied for visas, jobs, homes, etc........LOL :p

OR perhaps they learned English as a second language, rather than french, of german, or flemish or spanish. You know, its not uncommon for English to be the first choice second language

thepeacock Feb 25th 2010 1:00 pm

OK....

Let's say last year 10,000 people were murdered in Canada...for example

And then this year it's great news beause only 9,900 were murdered and it is DOWN on last years figures..... :ohmy:

Got it? If not....let someone else explain it to you. :blink:

I did read it but fail to see why a drop should be good news, in quotes or not. Why is it good news?

iaink Feb 25th 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by thepeacock (Post 8374246)
Yeah course they did:

"Political asylum..." "benefits" "call my lawyer"

dude we are talking about vagrants here..Illegal immigrants, gypsies, et. Not people who fly over with £25,000 in the bank and have applied for visas, jobs, homes, etc........LOL :p

OK. Whatever. Canada has no one like that at all, just wealthy white rich immigrants who speak perfect english.

Just leave the "QUOTE= USERNAME;NUMBER" bit in place at least:rolleyes:

thepeacock Feb 25th 2010 1:04 pm

hmmm......when did I say Canada didn't have any of these "Political Asylum seekers"?

I do not know the facts.....but i wonder what they are allowed in "Easy Britain" compared to other countries? I know Aussie is very tough on this and I like that.

Now if you get 1,000 per month and we get 1,000 per day.......is that the same? Just an example. :unsure:

Geez..........it's difficult on here. :thumbdown:

You're missing the point, perhaps deliberately, Canada has proportionally more immigrants and more political refugees than the UK. You wont escape victims of persecution by moving here.
dbd33 is online now Add to dbd33's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

thepeacock Feb 25th 2010 1:05 pm

ok again......why has this turend into a "Canada has them as well post?" It's about the scale of it. Is it that hard to get around?

Country A has 10,000 or 1 per 1000 citiziens murders a year

Country B has 1,000 or 1 per 10,000 citizens murders a year.

So ........do you see the difference?

Maybe it's because your team are playing so badly this century?

OK. Whatever. Canada has no one like that at all, just wealthy white rich immigrants who speak perfect english.

thepeacock Feb 25th 2010 1:09 pm

I find this hard to beleive.

Source please.

Canada has proportionally more immigrants and more political refugees

dbd33 Feb 25th 2010 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by thepeacock (Post 8374257)
OK....

Let's say last year 10,000 people were murdered in Canada...for example

And then this year it's great news beause only 9,900 were murdered and it is DOWN on last years figures..... :ohmy:

Got it? If not....let someone else explain it to you. :blink:

A fall in the number of valuable workers entering a country is not the same as a fall in the murder rate. The latter might be good news.

Anyway, I'm surprised you cheer the following points from the article:

"The number of unauthorised migrants voluntarily leaving or being deported from the UK fell by three per cent."

That might mean more people without status staying.

"The number of people claiming citizenship was up by almost a third, reaching 51,315 in the last quarter of 2009. The boost could be a response to government announcements that the criteria for citizenship is set to be toughened up."

It doesn't say how many are Gypsies but presumably few of them speak English as a first language.

dbd33 Feb 25th 2010 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by thepeacock (Post 8374283)

Source please.

Note that I'm still waiting for you to substantiate any of your numbers but hang on.

christmasoompa Feb 25th 2010 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by thepeacock (Post 8374271)
ok again......why has this turend into a "Canada has them as well post?" It's about the scale of it. Is it that hard to get around?

But you seem to be under the misapprehension that Canada has less immigrants than the UK, but in fact proportionally there are more (just as there are more murders per capita than the UK - so perhaps neither of your examples are a good idea!). If your sole aim in moving is to get away from things like that, you really need to re-consider your destination choice.

If you admire Australia's immigration policy and it affects your life that much (which it seems to from what you've said - either that or you've been reading the Daily Mail far too much), then why did you not choose to move there?

And you might want to read up on the multi-quote function so that you don't have to post individual replies to everybody.

iaink Feb 25th 2010 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by thepeacock (Post 8374271)

Country A has 10,000 or 1 per 1000 citiziens murders a year

Country B has 1,000 or 1 per 10,000 citizens murders a year.

So ........do you see the difference?

Maybe it's because your team are playing so badly this century?

Exactly, its about the scale, Immigrants in the UK make up about 10-20% of the population, In canada its about 50%.

My team? Im not george gillett! Yeah, just the two FA cups, two league cup, One Champions league (plus runners up), and one UEFA cup, terrible aint it.

AND GET THE FRICKING QUOTE THING RIGHT! Pissing off a mod first thing in the morning is NOT a good idea.

dbd33 Feb 25th 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by thepeacock (Post 8374283)

Source please.

Immigration rate by country

http://www.umsl.edu/services/govdocs...elds/2112.html

Refugee immigration by country

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/im...ation-refugees

Of course this doesn't address the number of immigrants resident in a country but if the rate is always higher for one country than another, in absolute as well as proportionate terms, it stands to reason that that country, Canada, has more resident immigrants and refugees, dunnit?

Almost Canadian Feb 25th 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8372792)
Opps...I've wound up the Enoch Powell fan club! :D

I am no particular fan but I do not like ignorant people spouting rubbish they cannot support with evidence.

Blaming Enoch Powell for the fact that people today link him to racists is a bit like calling anyone that flies a St George's Cross at their home a racist simply because the far right use the flag as a rallying symbol.

Do you know which constituency Mr. Powell represented? Do you know how many times he was elected as an MP? Hardly evidence that the man was a racist, unless, of course, your argument is that because his constituents didn't understand English, they didn't understand the ballot papers they signed.

katybennett1984 Feb 25th 2010 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by thepeacock (Post 8374219)
LOL read by previous post then....

The figures you quoted were not "thousands per day" as you mentioned earlier. Thousands per year and quarter, yes.

PaulOK Feb 25th 2010 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 8374342)
I am no particular fan but I do not like ignorant people spouting rubbish they cannot support with evidence.

Blaming Enoch Powell for the fact that people today link him to racists is a bit like calling anyone that flies a St George's Cross at their home a racist simply because the far right use the flag as a rallying symbol.

Do you know which constituency Mr. Powell represented? Do you know how many times he was elected as an MP? Hardly evidence that the man was a racist, unless, of course, your argument is that because his constituents didn't understand English, they didn't understand the ballot papers they signed.

"I'm no particular fan".....Yeah, right.....Next you'll be stating, "Some of my best friends are Black, BUT...."

To infer that Powell didn't know exactly what he was doing when he made a series of racially loaded speeches (which DID appeal to the bigotry and base instincts of his target audience) in an opening bid for the Tory party leadership is naive and "ignorant" on your part 'Almost Canadian'. Thankfully, it massively backfired on him, got him sacked from the shadow cabinet and sent his career into a tailspin from which it never recovered.

Anyhow, You seem to be an expert on the late, unlamented, and political failure that was Mr. Powell, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

el_richo Feb 25th 2010 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 8374342)

Originally Posted by PaulOK (Post 8374481)
Gosh! I've really touched a nerve with the 'Daily Mail' brigade, however, I am just an ignorant person spouting rubbish so please forgive me 'Almost Canadian'. :D

You seem to be an expert on the late, unlamented, and political failure that was Mr. Powell, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

AC 1 - PaulOK 0 :thumbsup: