British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

dboy Feb 20th 2010 7:10 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by EasyRider (Post 8359796)
What? It's you acting like have never finished high school. I think what you're really trying to say is that Vancouver is a boring mediocre backwater, but can't admit and say this here 'cause of all bunch of your complexes? Are places like New York, Chicago, Montreal for "grown ups" as well or Vancouver apparently got a leg on these places?

Weak.

My comment was based on the fact that you childishly restored to name calling. I don't have a complex, just don't agree with the diatribe that you passed off as a post. Is Vancouver boring? Well interms of bar hopping, which I imagine is how you define a place, then yes, it is, you'll get no arguments from me. There's more to a place than pubs and clubs. When you grow up you'll realize that.

EasyRider Feb 20th 2010 7:40 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8359827)
My comment was based on the fact that you childishly restored to name calling. I don't have a complex, just don't agree with the diatribe that you passed off as a post. Is Vancouver boring? Well interms of bar hopping, which I imagine is how you define a place, then yes, it is, you'll get no arguments from me. There's more to a place than pubs and clubs. When you grow up you'll realize that.

You think aforementioned places seem not boring for me because of bars and clubs? I don't give much *** (or else he'll call me childish!) about bars and pubs though how can be good pubs a bad thing I don't know.

You're like hanging out here and call whatever you don't like "a bunch of crap"? And you tell me you're grown up, sure of that? You're in a bubble of delusional assumptions, sir.

dboy Feb 20th 2010 7:57 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by EasyRider (Post 8359857)
You think aforementioned places seem not boring for me because of bars and clubs? I don't give much *** (or else he'll call me childish!) about bars and pubs though how can be good pubs a bad thing I don't know.

You're like hanging out here and call whatever you don't like "a bunch of crap"? And you tell me you're grown up, sure of that? You're in a bubble of delusional assumptions, sir.

i didn't understand a word of that.

chrisfromusa Feb 20th 2010 10:26 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 
Think we can all agree that all the hot hip tourist and nice climate cities in a given country are full of real estate speculation, narcissists, and whatever else you call them. People complain of the same thing from the coasts of Spain to Florida and everywhere else that is a magnet for snowbirds. BTW wasps stands for White Anglo-Saxon Protestants so it was redundant mentioning wasps and protestants. But hey if you're complaining about wasp culture and want to know about Québec, aren't you British? Why don't you move to France instead of Québec? Québeccers aren't terribly different from the rest of Canada, they just speak a different language and have a few things that are different but they still work 40 hour work weeks and have 2-3 or so weeks of vacation off a year. Québec is by no means a mini France

el_richo Feb 20th 2010 10:51 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by mocol (Post 8358118)
...we hear tales of what the UK is like now it makes it easier to bear.

What tales? It's looking up, work wise, from what I see in may areas.

el_richo Feb 20th 2010 10:59 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by mocol (Post 8358168)
I hope your eventual return to the UK is a good one and that you are not disappointed in what you find there.

Unfortunately i think this person will have a hard time if his view on immigrants (ironic) is anything to go on.

The influx in "non British" folk will keep his blood pressure levels high.

The guy is a waste of space

el_richo Feb 20th 2010 11:02 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8359308)
Plus add to the fact that British people come visit the U.S. and Canada and think they are entitled to live here simply because they speak English and both of our countries used to be British colonies.

We do?

el_richo Feb 20th 2010 11:17 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8359460)
...she feels that she's treated like a 2nd class citizen because she's English.

I don't :thumbsup:

Devil Girl Feb 20th 2010 11:36 am

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8359314)
I'm glad that you're catching on. You too can contribute to the Oinki.

Thank you, though I am not sure what the oinki is :o:o


Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8359329)
US is better, at least 4/5 of my country isn't frozen tundra :rolleyes:

Well if I make it to Canada I will be able to go to the US for Vacations and if I make my millions the I will be able to stay there while Canada freezes in winter ;) :lol:


Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8359460)
That's what I don't understand, as an American anyway. Why would waving the Union Jack about or St. George's Cross be offensive, latter being illegal last I heard??

Maybe it is just an English thing, as here in Scotland there is no problems about flying the Saltire (or the Union Jack)

There is one house on my street and another nearby that have got the Saltire flag flying.


Originally Posted by chrisfromusa (Post 8359460)
Though ym British girlfriend does say the same thing, and is quite sick of it as well, she feels that she's treated like a 2nd class citizen because she's English.

I do not either and I live in Scotland :lol:

Though technically that makes me an immigrant so maybe that is why I am having no problems ;) :lol:

chrisfromusa Feb 20th 2010 5:29 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Devil Girl (Post 8360158)
Thank you, though I am not sure what the oinki is :o:o

Maybe it is just an English thing, as here in Scotland there is no problems about flying the Saltire (or the Union Jack)

There is one house on my street and another nearby that have got the Saltire flag flying.



I do not either and I live in Scotland :lol:

Though technically that makes me an immigrant so maybe that is why I am having no problems ;) :lol:

I thought it was like that, can anyone enlighten me as to why a lot of the equality and antidiscrimination legislation seems to only apply to people in England? Like I'm sure that it applies to all the land but, poster I quoted seems to confirm for me what I always suspected and that is it's mostly the English getting the sharp end of the stick?

blue mondays girl Feb 20th 2010 6:44 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by blue monday (Post 8355815)
Awesome, thats what im talking about, a 'proper' circuit :) As you say I should have done better research.

Ill have to perused the wife to be to move to BC though as I imaging it's a long drive there Lol. Then again its a quick flight on westjet for a weekend trip to the races. :D

That now means I can't think of one negative about Canada, ah except the holiday entitlement but I can live with that in all honesty.:thumbsup:

We're not moving, babe. We can fly all you want, though.

mocol Feb 20th 2010 7:00 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8360091)
What tales? It's looking up, work wise, from what I see in may areas.

Friends and family who we speak with have a different view - depends on the area I suppose.

mocol Feb 20th 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8360106)
Unfortunately i think this person will have a hard time if his view on immigrants (ironic) is anything to go on.

The influx in "non British" folk will keep his blood pressure levels high.

That is why I hope he won't be disappointed. There was a reason why he left the UK in the first place - those reasons are probably still valid but in the time he has been away the country has moved on and it is not the place he left. So if he didn't like it then, he sure as hell won't now.

ExKiwilass Feb 20th 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by EasyRider (Post 8359566)
I understand where they are coming from. I have a question-- does it hold true for the province of Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City)? Who can tell?

I'm almost certain not, I'm in Vancouver and I'm looking to escape this awful, cold, almost Darwinian social culture of narcissism and segregation. Very antisocial existence, there are no interesting real communities worth mentioning or common bond here. Some thrive in all that, but it's just not my cup of tea. Comparing to Europe-- life's totally antisocial here. I think the OP who has sent this is from Western Canada, likely Vancouver.

I'm honestly tired of wasps and protestants with their live-to-work corporate-brainwashed culture with cities that leave impression of large labor camps after you actually try to "live" there for a while with some cheap entertainment thrown for color.

I just wanted to confirm-- is Quebec culture so different from the rest of Canada? I'm looking for a place in Canada where people are actually lively and laid back (not lazy or dumb like so many in Vancouver), can have genuine fun and can let go (not these stiff anglo-saxon parties with pretend fun) and people talk to each other on the streets. I've heard Montreal is much like Barcelona which would be great. Why would I stay in Vancouver then?

As for Vancouver I can't wait to leave, the place is seriously messed up socially and politically. People are backward and aren't able to work together and cooperate efficiently which has come to limelight during this Olympics-- scandal after scandal, poor planning, organization and implementation. Everybody just seems to want to escape any responsibility "I'm done-- F.U. attitude" and walk over the others heads at any cost. Very backward society-- back to the caves, I'd say. I like this post I found and resonate with it pretty well:

Did you resonate with this?

"You do not meet people who form their opinions based upon facts."

um....

ExKiwilass Feb 20th 2010 8:44 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8359545)
I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, sorry you took it that way. I was merely trotting out the same old baseless, nonsensical and overly generalized drivel that masquerades as factual reason in this thread. I thought it must all have been a joke, as no one could take these positions as anything other than that.

:rofl: :thumbup:


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:11 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.