British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

katybennett1984 Feb 23rd 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368036)
I imagine so but, in Britain, one can just wander down to a shop and buy free range eggs. Why trouble to keep a chicken?

I agree..which brings me to my original point as to why the OP said eggs were a reason to move to Canada, since I found it really hard to buy decent, free-range eggs there.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by katybennett1984 (Post 8368039)
I agree..which brings me to my original point as to why the OP said eggs were a reason to move to Canada, since I found it really hard to buy decent, free-range eggs there.

In Ontario it's not lawful to sell free range eggs. They are available, as is raw milk and marijuana, but one needs a connection. I would discourage anyone from moving to Ontario for the eggs.

JonboyE Feb 23rd 2010 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Les Butler (Post 8367736)
French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ;)) and it just seems easier here.

Hi Les.

EAGLES!

Oink Feb 23rd 2010 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Les Butler (Post 8367736)
French Canadian(Ok Québecoise) wife who did not like Waddon Croydon !

A few of us (Brits) sitting around a table in a bar here in Montreal asked the same question after we just played a round of golf on a nice hot summer day and we came to the conclusion that it's like being on holiday.

We are all in our 50's play golf still try to play football and just do things activity wise that my family and mates back home just do not do unless it revolves round the pub

I am unskilled have a small biz (have a job going if anyone wants one ;)) and it just seems easier here.

Me and a couple of mates were on the 18th hole and one of us said how much we liked living Canada. How different it is to the lazy bastards back in the UK who won't do anything unless it involves a round of golf.

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by katybennett1984 (Post 8368039)

Maybe the ones I bought in Scotland(M & S and the butchers)were just crap then, I buy free range here from Superstore and they are the bollocks!

The ones from Safeway are crap though.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368113)
I buy free range here from Superstore

I bet you don't. "Free Run", perhaps.

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8368116)
I bet you don't. "Free Run", perhaps.

Shit, never noticed that before!

But they are Organic Free Run

What the heck is the difference between run and range:confused:

Souvy Feb 23rd 2010 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368161)

At a guess; a door.

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 8368168)
At a guess; a door.

Looked it up, apparently most chickens in Canada are free run as its too cold for them to go outside and the coyotes eat them so free run means they can run around a big barn and lay where they want.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368161)

Firstly, an egg can't be both free range and organic, if the chicken is free range it can eat anything it comes across, there's no control over the feed so it can't be guaranteed organic. Unfenced chickens, such as mine, roam over a wide area pecking at everything; fertilized crops, manure from horses fed non-organic-certified feed, dog food, all sorts. The eggs are free range but the content is anyone's guess.

"Free run" is a marketing term invented to confuse consumers. It means factory farmed with some nominal concessions to humane treatment. The chickens can turn around. They can't peck because, even if they haven't been de-beaked, they're raised on concrete. My concern with these eggs isn't so much the treatment of the animals, I'm not an ethical consumer, but the age of the eggs. I know they're sprayed but still, an egg in a supermarket is likely older than a chicken in the supermarket, that's whythe yokes don't stand up.

Since keeping laying hens I can't eat supermarket eggs, they're just not very good. Since keeping meat birds I'm iffy on eating supermarket chickens but that's another story.

dbd33 Feb 23rd 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368196)
Looked it up, apparently most chickens in Canada are free run as its too cold for them to go outside and the coyotes eat them so free run means they can run around a big barn and lay where they want.

Oh yeah, and unwanted dogs go to the country and live on farms.

iaink Feb 23rd 2010 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368196)

You might want to check out the population densities in those barns:sneaky: We are not talking "charlotee's web" bucolic niceness:eek:

Pammy Feb 23rd 2010 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8368210)
You might want to check out the population densities in those barns:sneaky: We are not talking "charlotee's web" bucolic niceness:eek:

Well the way I look at it is if it tastes good eat it, even vegetables are crammed into little rows:rofl:

el_richo Feb 23rd 2010 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pammy (Post 8368221)
...even vegetables are crammed into little rows:rofl:

Surely that's not very humane? Or does the old adage ring true: Out of mind, out of sight?

iaink Feb 23rd 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8368332)
Surely that's not very humane?

Very romaine though:lol:

I'll fetch my hat:o:rolleyes: