British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why move to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-move-canada-655540/)

Jingsamichty Feb 19th 2010 12:14 am

Re: Why move to Canada?

Because my boss asked me to.

The other alternatives were Nigeria or Sakhalin Island.

Novocastrian Feb 19th 2010 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 8356156)
Because my boss asked me to.

The other alternatives were Nigeria or Sakhalin Island.

Surely either are preferable?

Dave n Ailsa Feb 19th 2010 12:21 am

I don't necessarily feel threatened by the kids. In fact I try my hardest to get along with them and try and give them some respect. During summer, I'm usually out on my driveway working on some daft vehicular project of some description. Last year it was an old Charger, year before that it was a Impreza Turbo, so I get the wee fan club popping round to see whats going on.

But they just don't seem to have the respect for possessions and property I had as a kid. I was no angel, but I knew the worth of something and would never knowingly destroy or damage something on purpose.

It's a bit like these posters that come on here and post some random garbage that THEY think is funny. Well guess what guys, you're making a fool out of yourselves and wasting other people's time.

Go on, have your dig at the grumpy old man now :sneaky:

Jingsamichty Feb 19th 2010 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8356164)
Surely either are preferable?

I think Nigerians and Russians might be easier to work with...

thesidds Feb 19th 2010 1:50 am

Originally Posted by eduardj72 (Post 8355422)
Hi everyone. I ve been trying to find an answer from the posts on this forum but so far failed. This is the reason I am posting a direct question. Why do people immigrate to Canada? I am from the former soviet union republic and I understand why people what to leave those countries, but I am somewhat bewildered when people from the UK-a quite well off country with stable economy decide to immigrate to Canada or Australia. Can somebody give me a few ideas why?

Why . . .ooooo lets see:confused:
Hot sunny summers
White snowy winters
genuine friendly people - with respect (ok vast generalisation)
wonderful scenery
80's rock
cowboy culture
skiiing
free space to quad, bike, snowmobile, boat, fish . . .just play etc etc
ability to take responsibity for my own actions
living for the now rather than the past
I could go on and on but I'm sure you've got the picture
Oh one more thing . . . .. . to get away from the drizzle and bad attitude in the UK:eek:

bsmith Feb 19th 2010 3:10 am

Originally Posted by thesidds (Post 8356334)
Why . . .ooooo lets see:confused:
Hot sunny summers
White snowy winters
genuine friendly people - with respect (ok vast generalisation)
wonderful scenery
80's rock
cowboy culture
skiiing
free space to quad, bike, snowmobile, boat, fish . . .just play etc etc
ability to take responsibity for my own actions
living for the now rather than the past
I could go on and on but I'm sure you've got the picture
Oh one more thing . . . .. . to get away from the drizzle and bad attitude in the UK:eek:

ffs :rofl:

iaink Feb 19th 2010 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8355717)
Why move to Canada?
With over 150,000 Canadians leaving every week - in four years this country will be devoid of Candians. (hehehe:rofl:)

But you can all take peace of mind that every month 250,000 foreign workers will be here to take your place. Mmmm, think of all those Chinese, Colombians, Vietnamese, Asians, and Africans taking over the Maple leaf.

Oooh, doesnt it make you wanna grab a Molsen!

Hmm, you dont really think that those 150k canadians leaving are all cradle born rather than including many of the new canadians for around the world. You cant seriously be that narrow minded can you? If I left for the US, then I would be a canadian leaving, wouldnt I:rolleyes:

Atlantic Xpat Feb 19th 2010 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8357556)
Hmm, you dont really think that those 150k canadians leaving are all cradle born rather than including many of the new canadians for around the world. You cant seriously be that narrow minded can you? If I left for the US, then I would be a canadian leaving, wouldnt I:rolleyes:

The 150k Canadians leaving a week is of course utter bullshit. Think about it. Pop of 32m /150k = a little over 4 years until there is no one left here but the moose.

dbd33 Feb 19th 2010 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 8357569)
The 150k Canadians leaving a week is of course utter bullshit. Think about it. Pop of 32m /150k = a little over 4 years until there is no one left here but the moose.

Not if there are 150,000 immigrants arriving per week.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 1:46 pm

Thankyou dbd for that;)
Perhaps bullshit is the right word for a country that wont let foreign workers actually work and still lets in 250,00 every month. A country that is full of bullshit that stops company owners from getting LMOs and rather see a company close because it cannot find Canadians to actually work, perhaps you are so full of shit that you cannot see what is happening or maybe you are a true Canadian blinded by that fact.:sneaky:

dbd33 Feb 19th 2010 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357709)
Thankyou dbd for that;)
Perhaps bullshit is the right word for a country that wont let foreign workers actually work and still lets in 250,00 every month. A country that is full of bullshit that stops company owners from getting LMOs and rather see a company close because it cannot find Canadians to actually work, perhaps you are so full of shit that you cannot see what is happening or maybe you are a true Canadian blinded by that fact.:sneaky:

Are you claiming 250,000 immigrants per month + 150,000 emigrants for a net influx of 100,000 per month; 1,200,000 per year?

No wonder the Toronto airport is such a **** up.

backhomeagain Feb 19th 2010 1:53 pm

well dbd,
Having attended a seminar for foreign workers in a room that holds probably no more than 70 plus the staff, the wife and me were the only "white people" attending. We felt third class - god only knows what a Canadian must be thinking when he sees all these Asians, Mexicans, Spanish, Vietnamese and Chinese everywhere.

iaink Feb 19th 2010 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357709)
Thankyou dbd for that;)

Im a foreign worker, I was allowed to work? Im almost certain that Im not the only one!

One bad experience, that we are not privy to the circumstances of, does not necessarily have to reflect on the country as a whole. The LMO process exists for the greater good. Now, I cant see how in that specific case it was for the greater good, but there are rules and they are there to be followed. In most cases they work well.

Maybe we are not the ones being blinded here?

iaink Feb 19th 2010 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357741)
well dbd,
CUT.

You are bordering on racism now. Any more and it will be cut, and you with it. Perhaps the average canadian can see beyond the colour of someones skin?

dbd33 Feb 19th 2010 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Squiddgelalert (Post 8357741)
well dbd,
Having attended a seminar for foreign workers in a room that holds probably no more than 70 plus the staff, the wife and me were the only "white people" attending. We felt third class - god only knows what a Canadian must be thinking when he sees all these Asians, Mexicans, Spanish, Vietnamese and Chinese everywhere.

Why would you feel third class? Those people are immigrants, you're immigrants, there'd only be a case to differentiate between attendees if some of them were cradles.