Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Canada?

What's wrong with Canada?

Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:47 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Canada?

Originally Posted by clynnog
You have a very valid point there about the beer snob type people who think their opinions are held by many people.
You see from a brewers point of view its actually cheaper and easier to make those strong ales
Ales take less time to make than a lager as they need much less conditioning time and so are much quicker and much cheaper to make as a result.
Those bland lagers show up any spoilage organisms and oxidation problems much quicker and easier than those high hop high malt brews which mask many off flavours.
From a brewers perspective the publics move (here and in the UK) to lagers was a long slow fight that they lost

Its just supply and demand

To be honest Labatt fought tooth and claw to prevent Bud becoming their number one brand, party because they've had to pay royalties on it and partly as it was one of the most expensive beers to make with 21 days siting in the conditioning tank on bleached wood chips, when an ale would sit in the tank for no more than 7 days

Last edited by MikeUK; Mar 30th 2009 at 9:51 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not exactly relevant, but I actually witnessed a middle aged Canadian purchasing a 12 pack of 50 just yesterday. I should've took a photo.
I've seen that in eastern Ontario small towns (almost always an un-hypenated). Was he heading to the legion after the beer store.

A quite nice pub I've been in Perth, Ontario has 'cinquante' on draught.

Years ago, there was 50 Light...back when 50 was a bit of a distinctive taste.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Not exactly relevant, but I actually witnessed a middle aged Canadian purchasing a 12 pack of 50 just yesterday. I should've taken a photo.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That would have been the sort of English emphatically not used by purchasers of Labbat 50. As I'm sure you'd accept.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:25 pm

That would have been the sort of English emphatically not used by purchasers of Labbat 50. As I'm sure you're accept.
Agreed.

Although I would think the purchaser most likely would have said tooken a pitcher.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Probably not the first and last fib that they would tell you at Labatt's...

Did they tell you that Canadians prefer bland lager with little in the way of discernible taste and that they know best when it comes to Canadians preferences for beer.
Very close. Rather than bland they said "more drinkable." Apparently, Canadians also like their beer to smell and taste of bananas
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

Although I would think the purchaser most likely would have said tooken a pitcher.
Toque-n a pitcher, shirley?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

OK, since you seem to be a veteran here...you are the chosen one to lead me into the land of threads and posts. I cannot find how to start a thread, please can you help?
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:49 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
OK, since you seem to be a veteran here...you are the chosen one to lead me into the land of threads and posts. I cannot find how to start a thread, please can you help?
Yer mean me, pet? Gan to the forum page, 'n' have a gander bottom left. There's a thingymejig wot sez "new thread".
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:59 pm

Yer mean me, pet? Gan to the forum page, 'n' have a gander bottom left. There's a thingymejig wot sez "new thread".
Der's one of dem "new thread" thingies in the upper left too.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:00 pm
Born again atheist

Whey man! Bugger me, soah there is, like.

<Which reminds me; what's wrong with Canada is insufficient linguistic diversity>.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 30th 2009 at 11:03 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have laughed at that, had I been able to click on it in a timely fashion.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Muchos grasias
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Aren't all the liquor stores etc owned by the government?

I guess that could be seen as good and bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.