Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what's wrong with Brampton?

what's wrong with Brampton?

Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's wrong with Brampton?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Earlier this year I took my daughter to an open day at the University of Toronto. She felt completely overwhelmed by the number of East Asian (Korean, Chinese, etc) and South Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, etc) students and families there. .... She felt claustrophobic and turned down the opportunity to attend U of T mostly on the basis of the demographics she saw that day.
She should consider another University in Toronto. I teach 3rd year science classes of between 50 and 80 students (aside from my day job). I usually have as many as 5 students with anglo-saxon sourced names. Not like that ghetto college downtown, oh no.

I think Canada has to be careful about its immigration policy. It's important that new immigrants integrate into Canadian society and complement it - not congregate in their own enclaves within it while turning those enclaves into microcosms of their home countries.
I agree. U of T is going to the Year of the Dogs.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
She should consider another University in Toronto. I teach 3rd year science classes of between 50 and 80 students (aside from my day job). I usually have as many as 5 students with anglo-saxon sourced names. Not like that ghetto college downtown, oh no.
But, in the absence of government policies such as Affirmitive Action, university populations are never going to reflect the demographics of the population as a whole. It's the immigrants who are driven to get their children educated to a higher level than themselves (some of mine even finished high school!) and so the names of the established population, Bo, or Bubba, for example, are not going to proportionally represented. The answer, I think, for someone wanting higher education in less diverse atmosphere is Agricultural College or, for the gifted, the University of Guelph.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But, in the absence of government policies such as Affirmitive Action, university populations are never going to reflect the demographics of the population as a whole. It's the immigrants who are driven to get their children educated to a higher level than themselves (some of mine even finished high school!) and so the names of the established population, Bo, or Bubba, for example, are not going to proportionally represented. The answer, I think, for someone wanting higher education in less diverse atmosphere is Agricultural College or, for the gifted, the University of Guelph.
I've had a Bo. She was from Ghana.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a Bo. She was from Ghana.
Not my Bo, I hope, fluent in French, thing for the outdoors?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:43 pm
Born again atheist

Not my Bo, I hope, fluent in French, thing for the outdoors?
Couldn't say; I'm a bit stand-offish with the riffraff.

But to address your earlier point about children of immigrants, many of the Patels and Ngyungs and Pengs and Shiriyatanas etc were born here. Some are second generation cradles.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 12th 2011 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Couldn't say; I'm a bit stand-offish with the riffraff.

But to address your earlier point about children of immigrants, many of the Patels and Ngyungs and Pengs and Shiriyatanas etc were born here. Some are second generation cradles.

It's routinely the case that the children of immigrants are born here, that has do with our propensity to breed like rabbits. What I don't know is how long it takes for the immigrant fervour to wear off, presumably the cradles arrived keen and competent at the wheel, or reins, how many generations is it before people cease being foreigners and start moaning about them?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:47 pm
Born again atheist

It's routinely the case that the children of immigrants are born here, that has do with our propensity to breed like rabbits. What I don't know is how long it takes for the immigrant fervour to wear off, presumably the cradles arrived keen and competent at the wheel, or reins, how many generations is it before people cease being foreigners and start moaning about them?
Since we agree in all this, I suspect the thread is going nowhere.

So I'll just say in defense of MarylandNed's over-sensitive daughter, when I first came back to where I teach after 8 years in Germany, where aside from a few Turkish folk, if you ever saw a person of colour, it was assuredly an American GI, it was a bit overwhelming for the first half hour or so.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:52 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Since we agree in all this, I suspect the thread is going nowhere.

So I'll just say in defense of MarylandNed's over-sensitive daughter, when I first came back to where I teach after 8 years in Germany, where aside from a few Turkish folk, if you ever saw a person of colour, it was assuredly an American GI, it was a bit overwhelming for the first half hour or so.
There was one Chinese girl in my high school year. I assume her family was Chinese as her father owned the local take away. They could have been from anywhere vaguely like China, I suppose.

It was a culture shock, landing in downtown Toronto. That swiftly became refreshing, everyone is different so no-one has any great reason to hate me. Wonderful
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:56 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
There was one Chinese girl in my high school year. I assume her family was Chinese as her father owned the local take away. They could have been from anywhere vaguely like China, I suppose.

It was a culture shock, landing in downtown Toronto. That swiftly became refreshing, everyone is different so no-one has any great reason to hate me. Wonderful
Well, I did say for the first half an hour. Certainly no longer.

Of course it's refreshing after that.

<but I don't like the Irish>.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:58 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I did say for the first half an hour. Certainly no longer.

Of course it's refreshing after that.

<but I don't like the Irish>.
The cheek of you.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:05 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
The cheek of you.
It's just a question knowing the buttons, and of brilliant style.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

I'm reasonably well adapted to everyone being from somewhere else. Note that, even in Guelph, a project team will typically have more nationalities than there are people, even after "Canadian" is discounted. It's challenging to deal with so many prejudices all at once. I can be doing with sectarianism though, too difficult, the sides aren't even colour coded.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:18 am
Born again atheist

I'm reasonably well adapted to everyone being from somewhere else. Note that, even in Guelph, a project team will typically have more nationalities than there are people, even after "Canadian" is discounted. It's challenging to deal with so many prejudices all at once. I can be doing with sectarianism though, too difficult, the sides aren't even colour coded.
It's easier where I'm from. Black & white stripes against red & white.

We like to keep it simple.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
You mean by doing things like attending university?
Except that too many of them don't integrate into university life at all. For example, many at U of T commute from home and go straight back home once class is over.

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I actually don't understand what you mean. Integrate how?
By learning the language for one thing. By not bringing their home country's problems and disputes to Canada with them. By embracing other cultures while also offering their own culture to others.

I see too many who create microcosms of their own country within Canada and try to enforce their own cultures while disregarding other cultures. That's not multiculturalism.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:23 am
Born again atheist

Jesus.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Except that too many of them don't integrate into university life at all. For example, many at U of T commute from home and go straight back home once class is over.
It's those Koreans, they don't understand that integrating into university life means drinking copious quantities of alcohol and chundering on their professors. Shameful.

By learning the language for one thing. By not bringing their home country's problems and disputes to Canada with them. By embracing other cultures while also offering their own culture to others.
Not all of my students have a perfect command of english; but they are all able to cope or they wouldn't be there.

I see too many who create microcosms of their own country within Canada and try to enforce their own cultures while disregarding other cultures. That's not multiculturalism.
Yes, it is actually. Apart from the enforcement bit which is unique to cradles. And in a different context, to Americans.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 13th 2011 at 1:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.