Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what's wrong with Brampton?

what's wrong with Brampton?

Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's wrong with Brampton?

Originally Posted by lmartin999
My students are Canadian. That's it. Nothing more to be said.
Apparently there is....

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/11/10/too-asian/
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilipuddlian
Clapping loudly.
He's not talking about the UofT, of course. If he were one could make the point that the management of the school has turned it Asian by deliberately targetting international students from Asia. They're good for the school because they pay a lot and they work hard, potentially boosting the school's rankings. They're not Canadian though.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The UofT isn't a better school than, say, McGill, it's just more Asian.
Actually, UofT is the top research centre (overall) in Canada. Times Higher will confirm this. It has a global reputation and not many universities in Canada can boast this. This is probably why many people want to attend the university, Canadian, Asian or otherwise.

All universities like to attract overseas students, more than ever now - they pay more. As it happens Canadian universities offer some of the most competitive rates in the Western world for overseas students. I would imagine this is why Asian students are attracted to Canadian universities - it's a darn side cheaper than going to university in the US. But, I cannot imagine for an instant why a university could be accused of or being seen as 'too Asian' to affect its culture negatively.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
But, I cannot imagine for an instant why a university could be accused of or being seen as 'too Asian' to affect its culture negatively.
It's very simple - just read the article I posted. If there was no issue, there wouldn't have been an article.

A school that is "too Asian" is one where the student body in general is overly focused on academic achievement almost to the complete exclusion of all other aspects of university life.

I have been on a lot of university tours with my daughters over the last couple of years and every single one of them (including U of T) has emphasized very strongly that university life is about much more than pure academic achievement. For example, it's about being away from home for the first time. It's about making (often life long) connections with people from different backgrounds, races, and cultures. It's about exploring other interests outside of your major e.g joining clubs, playing sports, getting involved in issues, etc.

The case against the "too Asian" schools is that kids who want to lead a more balanced university life can't compete with the Asians academically because the Asians in general focus ALL of their energy on (or are at least skewed towards) pure academic achievement and ignore the other important aspects of university life. They are completely driven by grades. If they do join clubs, they are also "too Asian" and don't involve enough interaction with other races and cultures. U of T also has a relatively large commuter population which further reduces social interaction and contributes to a lack of community and "school spirit".

All of this combines to suck the life and the fun out of a university for many students. These students don't want to spend every waking hour completely focused on one very narrow goal just to be top of a class. For one thing, that's not even healthy.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's very simple - just read the article I posted. If there was no issue, there wouldn't have been an article.

A school that is "too Asian" is one where the student body in general is overly focused on academic achievement almost to the complete exclusion of all other aspects of university life.

I have been on a lot of university tours with my daughters over the last couple of years and every single one of them (including U of T) has emphasized very strongly that university life is about much more than pure academic achievement. For example, it's about being away from home for the first time. It's about making (often life long) connections with people from different backgrounds, races, and cultures. It's about exploring other interests outside of your major e.g joining clubs, playing sports, getting involved in issues, etc.

The case against the "too Asian" schools is that kids who want to lead a more balanced university life can't compete with the Asians academically because the Asians in general focus ALL of their energy on (or are at least skewed towards) pure academic achievement and ignore the other important aspects of university life. They are completely driven by grades. If they do join clubs, they are also "too Asian" and don't involve enough interaction with other races and cultures. U of T also has a relatively large commuter population which further reduces social interaction and contributes to a lack of community and "school spirit".

All of this combines to suck the life and the fun out of a university for many students. These students don't want to spend every waking hour completely focused on one very narrow goal just to be top of a class. For one thing, that's not even healthy.
Wow, that's some reality you have created for yourself. Really, it's as deluded as it is very disoncerting. The point is: you have issues with 'Asian people'. There is a slightly bad smelling link between your assertions here and your comments earlier about Brampton's population. Get a bubble and live in it, if that makes you/your daughter happier. It doesn't make any of your comments true though because they're not - this is all complete nonsense.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by London Mike
Wow, that's some reality you have created for yourself. Really, it's as deluded as it is very disoncerting. The point is: you have issues with 'Asian people'. There is a slightly bad smelling link between your assertions here and your comments earlier about Brampton's population. Get a bubble and live in it, if that makes you/your daughter happier. It doesn't make any of your comments true though because they're not - this is all complete nonsense.
Read the article. You'll find it makes some of the same points. So hardly something I created and hardly nonsense.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/11/10/too-asian/

Some of my best friends are Asian. I think you're the one in the bubble.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 17th 2011 at 1:13 am.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:03 am
Just Joined

maximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant futuremaximumthrust has a brilliant future

I was shown round by a 'Canadian', 3 days of being driven around all the different areas with my 12 year old slowly driving me nuts in the back seat.

Whats wrong with Brampton? No comment - you can quote me on that !
Whats the difference compared to Oakville?

I can answer that one - Whatever this means ..

The police in Oakville travel in there cars on there own.
The police in Brampton travel in pairs.

As for house price difference? Simples

Its worth the extra 200K to live near me
Old Aug 1st 2011, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

bramptonguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: what's wrong with Brampton?

Everyone seems to think they are experts on Brampton without ever living here. I've lived here for 46 of 51 years on this planet and my ancestors have been in north america for seven generations. Yes more and more new comers to Canada are settling here (Brampton) and most of these people are from India and it's surrounding countries. Most people that are calling Canada their new home are from these countries, that's just the way it is. My belief is that people are settling here because the city has allowed housing starts to expand too quickly to the point that land in Brampton to build housing on is quickly running out. I live and have lived in the Bramalea part of Brampton, the Bramalea part was amalgamated into Brampton in the 1980s. It may be to your benefit to check out the history of this area online if you are interested in moving here. I agree that you may want to rent for awhile before considering buying wherever you decide to live. That being said Brampton has other things to offer such as many different sports leagues. Oakville! give me a break I find the people in Oakville think they are better than every body else and are on the snobby side always demanding what they want with a sense of entitlement.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Try Georgetown, very close to Brampton but populated with people of mainly British descent. It is also quite a safe area surrounded by nice countryside.
I went to Georgetown University and was overwhelmed by Jesuits.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I went to Georgetown University and was overwhelmed by Jesuits.
Hallelujah....did they crush you to their collective bosom's?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:52 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Hallelujah....did they crush you to their collective bosom's?
To be honest I spent most of my time down in a bar called The Tombs having long, long boozy lunches talking bollocks about bollocks.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
To be honest I spent most of my time down in a bar called The Tombs having long, long boozy lunches talking bollocks about bollocks.
Much the same as we do on here perchance.....
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:36 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh.....I am reading here people saying "Canadians", what is your description of a "Canadian"? I ask because it seems people are expecting "Canadians" to be only "Caucasian looking"?

With regards to U of T attracting a lot of Asians, who cares really? Iam sure it's like any other business that is making profit, you don't care where your work force is coming from or what they look like, "cash is king".

Steve Nash ( Canadian Basketball player ) born in south africa, now if he told you he is "African", why would that be a problem?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:39 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramptonguy
Everyone seems to think they are experts on Brampton without ever living here. I've lived here for 46 of 51 years on this planet and my ancestors have been in north america for seven generations. Yes more and more new comers to Canada are settling here (Brampton) and most of these people are from India and it's surrounding countries. Most people that are calling Canada their new home are from these countries, that's just the way it is. My belief is that people are settling here because the city has allowed housing starts to expand too quickly to the point that land in Brampton to build housing on is quickly running out. I live and have lived in the Bramalea part of Brampton, the Bramalea part was amalgamated into Brampton in the 1980s. It may be to your benefit to check out the history of this area online if you are interested in moving here. I agree that you may want to rent for awhile before considering buying wherever you decide to live. That being said Brampton has other things to offer such as many different sports leagues. Oakville! give me a break I find the people in Oakville think they are better than every body else and are on the snobby side always demanding what they want with a sense of entitlement.
There is always the other options eh....Woodbridge and Vaughan

Oh wait.....that is Italian territory