Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what's wrong with Brampton?

what's wrong with Brampton?

Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:40 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what's wrong with Brampton?

You can get a really nice tandoori fish in Brampton. I'd specify the restaurant but, quite frankly, one strip mall looks exactly like the other. And that's the problem with Brampton, aside from the leafy older streets (which I expect come with a price tag) the majority of it is brute ugly.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
You can get a really nice tandoori fish in Brampton. I'd specify the restaurant but, quite frankly, one strip mall looks exactly like the other. And that's the problem with Brampton, aside from the leafy older streets (which I expect come with a price tag) the majority of it is brute ugly.
Yup...had I never been to Canada before, and on my arrival at Pearson had been taken to Brampton, I would have told the driver to take me back to the airport sharpish! ....
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I think we'll all accept that, aside from a few streets in the centre, Brampton looks awful, but does it look more awful than, say, Mississauga? (I pick Mississauga because we've done the rough bits of Oakville to death). Dundas Street from Hurontario towards Toronto is as miserable place to live as one could imagine and yet it's more expensive than Brampton. Why is Brampton cheap? Ask in any bar in Orangeville, that's where the white flight landed.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:01 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think we'll all accept that, aside from a few streets in the centre, Brampton looks awful, but does it look more awful than, say, Mississauga? (I pick Mississauga because we've done the rough bits of Oakville to death). Dundas Street from Hurontario towards Toronto is as miserable place to live as one could imagine and yet it's more expensive than Brampton. Why is Brampton cheap? Ask in any bar in Orangeville, that's where the white flight landed.
I don't know that, appearance wise, Brampton is any worse than Mississauga. Mississauga is closer to Toronto which, I suppose, explains the rise in cost.

If the promise of work takes a prospective immigrant to either Mississauga or Brampton, then fair enough, you have to go where the work is. But, for someone who has never lived in England, I am left wondering how soul crushingly shit their part of England must be for someone to pack up and take the financial hit involved in moving countries....to end up in Brampton.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting silly. Do you accept that the population of Brampton is overwhelmingly Asian (Indian subcontinent Asian) or Black? A clue, btw, might be to take a look at the ethnicity of Brampton politicians, cradles don't elect Indian women to Parliament. Failing that, I suppose there's the census, (showing 57% shades of brown in 2006)

http://www.brampton.ca/en/Business/e...20Minority.pdf

If you don't accept the demographics, how do you account for the relatively low house prices in Brampton?
No - I don't accept that the population of Brampton is "overwhelmingly" Asian or Black. I don't need clues. Just take the information in that link you provided and add up the populations who are labelled as being of Canadian, English, Scottish, Irish, Italian, Portuguese, French or German descent. Those people are overwhelmingly white and added together outnumber those you would class as Asian or Black. Someone could make the argument that the population of Brampton is overwhelmingly European and be closer to the truth than you are. What is "silly" is making assertions that fly in the face of the very facts that you are presenting.

House prices in Brampton are low relative to what?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 7th 2011 at 1:20 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
No - I don't accept that the population of Brampton is "overwhelmingly" Asian or Black. I don't need clues. Just take the information in that link you provided and add up the populations who are labelled as being of Canadian, English, Scottish, Irish, Italian, Portuguese, French or German descent. Those people are overwhelmingly white and added together outnumber those you would class as Asian or Black. Someone could make the argument that the population of Brampton is overwhelmingly European and be closer to the truth than you are. What is "silly" is making assertions that fly in the face of the very facts that you are presenting.
Suit yourself. The popular use of the name, Bramledesh, instead of Bramalea, to describe the projects there is a mystery then.

House prices in Brampton are low relative to what?
Oakville. That's the premise of the thread, it's about Brampton being cheap.

I suppose, if one accepted that the population is largely poor brown immigrants, one might say that's because they arrive poor and have to go there, rather than their presence lowering the value of property. However, in the absence of the poor brown immigrants we're left with two puzzles. Why is it cheap and why, dear God, would anyone put up with living there?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Suit yourself. The popular use of the name, Bramledesh, instead of Bramalea, to describe the projects there is a mystery then.

Oakville. That's the premise of the thread, it's about Brampton being cheap.

I suppose, if one accepted that the population is largely poor brown immigrants, one might say that's because they arrive poor and have to go there, rather than their presence lowering the value of property. However, in the absence of the poor brown immigrants we're left with two puzzles. Why is it cheap and why, dear God, would anyone put up with living there?
No mystery. Springdale is also referred to as "Singhdale". There are certainly enclaves within Brampton that are overwhelmingly of South Asian ethnicity. But if you extrapolate this to assume that the population of Brampton overall is overwhelmingly South Asian then you end up being wrong.

I don't claim to have expert recent knowledge of Brampton and Oakville real estate but there could be many reasons for any difference in real estate prices. Yes, there are demographic (ethnicity, socioeconomic, etc) differences between the 2 cities and that's almost certainly a factor. There are also geographical differences (e.g. Oakville is closer to the lake and has a harbour). I'm sure someone could come up with more reasons.

None of this means that you can just claim that Brampton is overwhelming of Asian and Black descent. That's simply not true.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

None of this means that you can just claim that Brampton is overwhelming of Asian and Black descent. That's simply not true.
To put this in context for someone in the UK reading the thread, the places in the UK with similar demographics to Brampton are Bradford and Southall.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Pendonk is an unknown quantity at this point

To put this in context for someone in the UK reading the thread, the places in the UK with similar demographics to Brampton are Bradford and Southall.
Phew, we got there in the end. Thanks

So... my job, should I accept it, will be very close to the west side of Parson airport. Brampton is close and affordable but really fugly and there is a considerable risk that my cats could end up as someones dinner. Oakville has been recommended but is a greater distance to travel, is massively more expensive, generally nicer, better transport infrastructure, and close to the lake.

What are the other alternatives? I guess Mississauga? Is that an ok area? How about Milton? Maybe I should rent...
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pendonk
Maybe I should rent...
Absolutely rent for a year. Selling a house is expensive in Canada, you want to try and choose somewhere you'll be content to stay for a while so as to avoid buying twice.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Pendonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely rent for a year. Selling a house is expensive in Canada, you want to try and choose somewhere you'll be content to stay for a while so as to avoid buying twice.
thanks for the advice. Appreciated
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Platinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to all

Why, Oh why does it all comes down to the color of someone's skin. Brown, Pink or Ebony - We are all the same. ps: I own a English Pie & Mash shop in Brampton, all welcome!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Indians eat cats?
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Indians eat cats?
Thought cats were Chinese chicken?...especially in a 'chowmein'
Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Thought cats were Chinese chicken?...especially in a 'chowmein'
Close enough I suppose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.