Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What was your dream?

What was your dream?

Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

the bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura about
Default What was your dream?

What was your dream when you moved to Canada? Have you achieved it?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Default Re: What was your dream?

To spend more time with my family, fish in my own lake and have no neighbours. Work less hours and not read in the papers everyday about rising crime levels, drugs and people wanting something for nothing. Have I achievied it almost!!!!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't describe it as having been a dream but I wanted to enjoy the early retirement that couldn't have been afforded in England.

It's lovely not having to work for a living.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Like most, it was a conflation of many smaller desires into a wider dream. But mainly get an office with a sea view, have a secretary who wouldn't refuse to make tea and bring in biscuits, be five minutes away from sailing or boating and get the hell out of the US.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:21 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I came over with a bf, didn't originally want to emmigrate and the relationship was not 100% when we moved anyway - but being me, I thought if I came over here with him we would have a brand new start, and everything would be all hearts and flowers.

6 months in I got dumped.

Then as pure chance would have it, a customer of mine at the bank I worked at here was adamant I meet her brother - to which I was very opposed to the point of considering turning lesbian due to my luck or lack of it in the man department.

I gave in - met the guy - we fell head over heels in love and got married last year.

So my dream was to come to Canada to love and be loved - and I absolutely found it, though not in the place I originally thought I would. the rural lifestyle, the close family (both of which I never had in the UK) are just a bonus
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:27 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

a personal sacrifice further my c hance to work in usa and move up corp ladder when returnin 2 the uk. meet looser women. yep.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

the bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I came over with a bf, didn't originally want to emmigrate and the relationship was not 100% when we moved anyway - but being me, I thought if I came over here with him we would have a brand new start, and everything would be all hearts and flowers.

6 months in I got dumped.

Then as pure chance would have it, a customer of mine at the bank I worked at here was adamant I meet her brother - to which I was very opposed to the point of considering turning lesbian due to my luck or lack of it in the man department.

I gave in - met the guy - we fell head over heels in love and got married last year.

So my dream was to come to Canada to love and be loved - and I absolutely found it, though not in the place I originally thought I would. the rural lifestyle, the close family (both of which I never had in the UK) are just a bonus
Good for you - glad it all worked out well in the end
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
a personal sacrifice further my c hance to work in usa and move up corp ladder when returnin 2 the uk. meet looser women. yep.
Does Google Translate or Babelfish have a feature where we can understand your stream of consciousness postings?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

be careful what you wish for

I wanted to live in a house on the ocean - now we have a flooded basement every time there is a storm surge

I wanted to get out of a 9-5 job - now I am unemployed
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it compulsory to have a dream then?

Stuff and nonsense.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:33 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
It may be prudent to learn to read, speak & write English if you wish to shin up the greasy pole back in the U.K.

Perhaps North America has allowed your literacy to atrophy.?..
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Stuff and nonsense.
Indeed. Although some people may have had dreams about moving to Canada, some people have more practical motives. Mine was that I simply came here for reasons that seemed good at the time and I have a Canadian spouse. Never had a dream. Hopes maybe?

If I have a dream about emigrating, I can assure you that it would probably involve things like lottery wins, nubile local women, sunny weather, exotic locations and parties, rather than endless ice hockey, cold weather, mind numbing bureaucracy and poor career prospects.

Whatever life throws at me, I shall maintain the utmost high standards for my dreams.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Stuff and nonsense.
Not so .... I presume people didn't move here on a whim? It's an enormous thing to do without a personal reason for doing so. Did you not have a dream ... even a tiny one?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
A lot of people come to Canada for selfless reasons, mainly to give their children a better life with greater opportunities and prospects.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
We came out on a 1 yr BUNAC visa in Nov 09, the idea initially was just to get out of England for a while, I was working for a high street bank and after they were bailed out (massively) by the government my job prospects weren't the safest and we were just generally bored and wanted some adventure and we've both always loved Canada.
So a year down the line I'm working for a great company, and my fiancee just got himself a new job which is paying him nearly DOUBLE! what he was earning in UK. We've started saving for a house deposit (which is somethig we could never afford to do in UK) and hope to buy a place in the next year or so. We are now both keen snowboarders in the winter, mountain bikers and surfers in the summer and Mike's even found an 'ok' soccer team to play for. So yeah i'd say even though we didn't have a definate 'dream' things have worked out so well for us so far and we are loving every minute!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.