Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What was your dream?

What was your dream?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:50 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was your dream?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I suppose a dream has an advantage over a whim in that it has an extra letter.

Whims are more likely to be productive though.

We came over on what amounted to a whim ..... turned out to be more of a wher!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 5:53 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is my dream?

Originally Posted by fuzzbottle
Future tense....Mortgage free...
Where are you moving to? ... it's a nice dream..... or maybe you are bringing a ton of capital with you? ... in which case... congratulations!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I didn't mean that. Just that it's our fave, like.

God! Artists!!
Fragile little things, aren't they? #2 is my favourite, too - I think I prefer the rather more muted colours, and I really like the moody, lowering sky.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

-30Brrrr is an unknown quantity at this point

We came over mainly to escape rising crime and the pay and display commonly known as the M25 - with hubby being a truck driver it was driving him insane and then me as a result. We seemed to be working hard for no return.

We wanted a house in the middle of a field, and decided that Canada was the place for that - hoping that kids would follow when they got fed up with the fast life.

The house is at the side of the field, but it's ours and movable if the nearby 'town' gets too big! And of course the roads are empty for the time being - although they're not roads as we Brits know them! We love it - deer in the yard, moose aswell but they wait 'til we're out so the neighbours driving by can tell us...

We keep the neighbours amused being the eccentric English couple who do things like chlorinate the well when it's -30C and inadvertently turn the carport into a skating rink!

The only things I can't stand are the damn mosquitoes which made me look like bubble wrap the first 2 years and the ticks that make me freak! But now we have free range chickens and guinea hens that take care of the ticks and this year hopefully a propane skeeter killer for the other pests
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
What was your dream when you moved to Canada? Have you achieved it?
I moved from the UK to Canada in 1989 with my wife (no kids). We were in our mid 20's and our goal was to broaden our horizons and learn about a different part of the world. We moved on temporary work permits and thought we'd return to the UK after a year or 2. We stayed in Canada for 7 years, spent 2 years back in the UK and have spent the last 13 years in the US. Along the way we had 4 kids (born in 3 different countries) who all have 4 citizenships and a much broader view of the world than their typical US friends. So, yes, I think we achieved our goals - and also helped our kids achieve the same goals whether they wanted to or not!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:57 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
A lot of people come to Canada for selfless reasons, mainly to give their children a better life with greater opportunities and prospects.
I want to move to Canada offer my wife a better life with greater opportunities and prospects., she wants to go to Canada to offer me a better life with greater opportunities and prospects.. How selfless is that
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:55 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

For the children
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
A lot of people come to Canada for selfless reasons, mainly to give their children a better life with greater opportunities and prospects.
I did that 48 years ago and it's been a dream come true. Both of my children are in their 50's and living their dreams. My son in Washington with the IMF and daughter in Montreal with her cats and husband Mike.
I also have a grandson flying Dash 7's for the UN and a one year old great grandchild.

My wife and I ( 58th aniversary this July) have been retired 20 years and still living the dream.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

My dream was to move to a diff country, then join an expats website where I could share wot I have learnt with people, who are happy to read wot I am sharing with them regardless of spelling mistakes and the lack of paragraphs in my posts!!!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
My dream was to move to a diff country, then join an expats website where I could share wot I have learnt with people, who are happy to read wot I am sharing with them regardless of spelling mistakes and the lack of paragraphs in my posts!!!
Look, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but if you post full page posts with a large number of different themes/points/pieces of information drawn from your experience, but use no paragraphs or other punctuation, the simple fact is that no-one will read them.

At least it wasn't all caps.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

drumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
Not so .... I presume people didn't move here on a whim? It's an enormous thing to do without a personal reason for doing so. Did you not have a dream ... even a tiny one?
Oh? really? damn! ("presuming people didn't move here on a whim and it's a enormous thing to do" blah blah) [note to self: must GROW UP!] (PS: I did have a dream....: better summers. Came true mind, despite the weather.)
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

I had no dream. I came for adventure.
Attached Thumbnails What was your dream?-1957-11.jpg  
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brizzle
Indeed. Although some people may have had dreams about moving to Canada, some people have more practical motives. Mine was that I simply came here for reasons that seemed good at the time and I have a Canadian spouse. Never had a dream. Hopes maybe?

If I have a dream about emigrating, I can assure you that it would probably involve things like lottery wins, nubile local women, sunny weather, exotic locations and parties, rather than endless ice hockey, cold weather, mind numbing bureaucracy and poor career prospects.

Whatever life throws at me, I shall maintain the utmost high standards for my dreams.
I can only agree. With my job, I have lived and worked in numerous countries and, once the novelty wears off, getting up on a morning and going through the usual ritual of commuting and going to work also becomes tedious. Maybe there are actually people out there that like their job? Don't tell me, they did it for the kids.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 22nd 2011 at 9:30 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

LondonderryMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What was your dream?

Been waiting nearly ten years to fulfil my Canadian dream. Only a few months to go....I now see light at the end of the tunnel - it was worth the wait
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

I came to get away from the likelihood of a right wing majority government and the feeling that things I knew and loved about the country I was living in were being dismantled bit by bit.

... Whoops!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.