Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What will you most miss about the UK

What will you most miss about the UK

Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you most miss about the UK

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Indian Curry

Thai Curry

West Indian Curry

There's no need to miss that. We can walk from home to twenty Indian curry places, four Thai ones, and two roti shops. At least one of each delivers to the door.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Absolutely RIGHT there me old cock!
I have to sell my...my...(shed tear) Jaguar XJ6 (sob..)
I had one of them in the UK; lovely motor, only non-convertible I've had I really enjoyed. There are some of them here but I suspect the only people looking longingly at them are other Brits.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
I am not briton but missing english accent , cheap airline/train tickets,

MUOAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You have got to be kidding me. Cheap flights and trains?

ROARING with laughter!
british sense of humor
Ok, I geddit, I geddit. You were joking.

...and certainly there are much more, but Canadian food and restaurants are much better
That they are indeed.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Cheap flights and trains?
That's a big advantage of the UK compared to Toronto and much more so compared to anywhere remote in Canada. Why's it funny?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:00 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Family and friends
Footie
Curry
Ability to hop over to mainland Europe for the weekend.

Other than that, based on our previous visits to Canada, not a lot.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:51 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

All is not lost:-

Here in Winnipeg we have;

"The Clay Oven" on Inkster/Keewatin, simply the best Indian Restaurant I have ever been to any where. So great Curry is no Problem.

Football; if you like playing there are loads of league's, both indoor and outdoor, and loads of Italians, Portuguese, Germans etc to play against in Friendlies. Plus Fox Sports on cable is pretty much Sky Sports including their news and live football.

Pubs; we actually have one here that feels just a little bit like a real pub, its called The Toad and its in Osbourn Village, they have Boddingtons and Caffertys on Draught along with Guinness.

And for British Foods we have Raging Brit at 1919 Portage Ave, for Walkers Crisps, Cadburys, Heinz Beans etc.

Plus though can be a mite chilly here, the Sun does shine most of the time.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:58 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely RIGHT there me old cock!
I have to sell my...my...(shed tear) Jaguar XJ6 (sob..)
Very nice, you could just get another one here, but servicing might be a pain outside a major metro area.

I disagree about the lack of car love anyway, they just love different sorts of cars. Ive seen more "show and shines" here than I ever did in the UK. People talk in hallowed tones about GTOs and BOSS mustangs, Carol Shelby is a living god. My neighbour Hugh spends way more time with his fantastically loud '37 coupe hot rod than he does with his wife. Another neighbour races some sort of stock car (even louder than hughs rod) most weekends. Cars are a big deal here to some. They just dont drive those particular ones in the snow, thats all.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I had one of them in the UK; lovely motor, only non-convertible I've had I really enjoyed. There are some of them here but I suspect the only people looking longingly at them are other Brits.
Yes it is a lovely motor, took me 25 years to finally afford one. Can't take it with me so unless I win megabucks when in Canada I'll just have to do with Jap stuff. Still, cars aint everything...
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
All is not lost:-

Here in Winnipeg we have;

And for British Foods we have Raging Brit at 1919 Portage Ave, for Walkers Crisps, Cadburys, Heinz Beans etc.

Plus though can be a mite chilly here, the Sun does shine most of the time.
Grilled SPAM, just like I'm eating now....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'll just have to do with Jap stuff.
If that's the price, are you sure it's worth moving?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
Cars are a big deal here to some.
Sure, there are some enthusiasts, just as there are enthusiasts for, say, steam trains, in the UK but what's missing is day-to-day interest by ordinary people. I think in the UK, in Europe in general, most people have a mild interest in cars and would notice a new car in the driveway or the office car park. Here they don't, they just have beige or gray Hondas or Toyotas and trading one for another isn't an event; a new snowblower excites more interest.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

; a new snowblower excites more interest.
Yeah i've seen Atlantic Expats avatar.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure, there are some enthusiasts, just as there are enthusiasts for, say, steam trains, in the UK but what's missing is day-to-day interest by ordinary people. I think in the UK, in Europe in general, most people have a mild interest in cars and would notice a new car in the driveway or the office car park. Here they don't, they just have beige or gray Hondas or Toyotas and trading one for another isn't an event; a new snowblower excites more interest.
The bloke living opposite me spends more time preening his Lexus SUV than he does with his wife. I don't think he's a car fanatic as such; I'm certainly not. However, I reckon we'd both agree that the SUV has more sex-appeal than his missus.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by printer
Yeah i've seen Atlantic Expats avatar.
That's a bit tacky if you ask me. We know he has a big one. We know he thinks it's the best one. Does he have to flaunt it?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think there is a lot of difference TBH. Just cos people in the UK are stupid enough to want to keep up with the joneses, doesnt mean they know a twin cam VTEC from a pushrod 6. They arent car enthusiasts, just snobs. I suspect a far larger proportion of canadians have a "weekend" car in the garage or shed for purely enthusiast reasons than you would ever find in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.