Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Makes People emmigrate

What Makes People emmigrate

Old May 26th 2007, 5:03 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Makes People emmigrate

My parents have moved to France - after recently needing to use the French health service they've vowed never to return to England. My brother spent a year living in Oz and is keen to get back out there.
Old May 27th 2007, 1:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
Not quite sure what's on this last page so back to thread topic

If the posters here have the negative comments about the reason they left or want to leave the UK what do their friends or relatives think? Are they too applying to come here now? Just a small minority of the population leave the UK and come to Canada- about an average of 5,000 per year out of a population of 60 million.
My contemporaries mostly left the UK after high school, it was the beginning of the Thatcher era and things looked grim. I'm still in touch with two friends from high school, one lives in Denver after working all over the world for a US based MNC, one lives in Maidenhead having worked for engineering firms in the UK. Curiously, as CAs working in industry, their careers have followed similar trajectories despite one having emigrated and the other not. Overall, the age which they divorced has mattered more to their net worth than where they lived and they've ended up with a similar level of affluence.

I have one brother who lives in the UK and, afaik, has never considered leaving and one who came to Canada as an illegal immigrant one step ahead of the plod in the UK. I don't think the brother who emigrated would have done so but for the prospect of a lengthy jail term had he stayed. He's lately been trying to persuade our parents to move out here, they've visited annually for twenty years or so, but they think the idea crazy; too cold, too far from the people and things they love (thanks!) and, besides, they don't have to flee. (Incidentally, despite reading the Daily Mail, they never mention crime in the UK, if the streets are full of rampaging chavs they don't seem to have reached the Costa Geriatrica).

One of my children took a gap year and worked in Europe, I think she would move there now but for having taken up with an American, she'll end up in the US. Another, the one who already lived in Halifax and now Montreal, is looking at schools in the US and in Europe for her masters, she'll go and move on and on I have no idea where she'll end up.

All in all, Canada hasn't made a great impact on those around me.
Old May 27th 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

What makes people emigrate is this example that happened to my daughter yesterday.
Well she wanted a new trampoline and as i was feeling on the rather generous side we did just that, anyway wife goes out buys nice 10ft trampoline and i wake up to put it up,(i work nights). After doing a good job with my wife she and her friend joe get on with bouncing on the thing like two tiggers gone mad. They played with no bother until she came in and said that some local boy had thrown a jam tart at them and landed on the matt leaving it in a sticky mess. Wife goes out to speak to this boy and gets a load of mouth back, he is only 8yrs old, he says to go see his mother so she did and all was sorted there, my daughter on the other hand was upset at this and now feels that she will be bullied and victimized by that boy and his friends.
Where does it stop when you cant even let your kids play safe in your own garden and we dont live in a bad part of town but i guess there will always be someone who will want to spoil all the fun eh.

LOAFY...
Old May 27th 2007, 3:27 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Liana
Not quite sure what's on this last page so back to thread topic

If the posters here have the negative comments about the reason they left or want to leave the UK what do their friends or relatives think? Are they too applying to come here now? Just a small minority of the population leave the UK and come to Canada- about an average of 5,000 per year out of a population of 60 million.
A massive 400,000 Brits are leaving every year, not applying or refusal but leaving, not all are lucky enough to go to Canada and as you have pointed out a small number, but still a lot of people want to leave.

rgds

John
Old May 27th 2007, 3:33 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by loafy
What makes people emigrate is this example that happened to my daughter yesterday.
Well she wanted a new trampoline and as i was feeling on the rather generous side we did just that, anyway wife goes out buys nice 10ft trampoline and i wake up to put it up,(i work nights). After doing a good job with my wife she and her friend joe get on with bouncing on the thing like two tiggers gone mad. They played with no bother until she came in and said that some local boy had thrown a jam tart at them and landed on the matt leaving it in a sticky mess. Wife goes out to speak to this boy and gets a load of mouth back, he is only 8yrs old, he says to go see his mother so she did and all was sorted there, my daughter on the other hand was upset at this and now feels that she will be bullied and victimized by that boy and his friends.
Where does it stop when you cant even let your kids play safe in your own garden and we dont live in a bad part of town but i guess there will always be someone who will want to spoil all the fun eh.

LOAFY...

Loafy, you spot on, a great example....pound for pound yob culture int he UK is totally out of control. Try explaining something like this to the police, they would not be interested. Now if on the other you hand you went outside and said something, you'd be arrested...not too mention a group of thugs or a worse chav parents to deal with.

Sit tight and work on your application buddy, there are thousand that think like you do.

rgds

john
Old May 27th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dozy_muppet03
Loafy, you spot on, a great example....pound for pound yob culture int he UK is totally out of control. Try explaining something like this to the police, they would not be interested. Now if on the other you hand you went outside and said something, you'd be arrested...not too mention a group of thugs or a worse chav parents to deal with.

Sit tight and work on your application buddy, there are thousand that think like you do.

rgds

john
For sure the police wont do anything unless someone is hurt and the best part is that it is nearly always the victim in question. The mother of the boy was this time good and did punish him but to what extent i wont know but then she could have just said a few words and let him stay in for the rest of the day, like most parents who dont have the time for kids now days.
If for one moment i thought this as acceptable behavior in a small community i would leave for sure but life is not always able to give you what you wish for but hey im going to try as hard as any man can to make my families life that bit better where they dont have to put up with the yob culture that is increasingly growing in the UK.

Job interview on Thursday and i see no problem there unless they dont like my face which is a good point but i'm not going there LOL

Many Thanks LOAFY...
Old May 28th 2007, 10:50 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Loafy, where is you rjob interview? Have you been out to Regina already and if so what do you think of it . OH and I are going in mif June for his interview with Curtis Construction in the North of Regina, as an industrial mechanic. What are you hoping to do. Have you any contacts for realtors or rental companies for accommodation?
Old May 28th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alison Annett
Loafy, where is you rjob interview? Have you been out to Regina already and if so what do you think of it . OH and I are going in mif June for his interview with Curtis Construction in the North of Regina, as an industrial mechanic. What are you hoping to do. Have you any contacts for realtors or rental companies for accommodation?
Sent you a private message.
Kind regards
LOAFY...
Old May 29th 2007, 8:32 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks sent you one back