Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What language do they speak,it aint English

What language do they speak,it aint English

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Funny thread this,all i had hoped for was a collection of funny phrases and wierd terms,,all i got was a load of flack and BS
If that's what you were looking for why didn't you ask?

The way you phrased your original post just invited ridicule.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:43 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Funny thread this,all i had hoped for was a collection of funny phrases and wierd terms,,all i got was a load of flack and BS
Then far be it from me to criticize, however if that were the response that you were after then instead of

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs

Would it not have been better to phrase it maybe like this

I heard a saying today that I have never come across before. It was "kitty corner" which apparently means 'diagonally across from'.

Is this a Canadian term that anyone else has heard used before and does anyone know the roots of this phrase.

Has anybody else heard other terms or phrases since being here that you haven't heard before.

And this comes from a person that was born and bought up on one of the roughest council estates in Leicester, mum worked in a shop, dad was a mechanic amongst other things. I have done many jobs - one of which was working behind a make-up counter. All of which I enjoyed and none of which were worthy of a Nobel Prize but all of which I enjoyed immensely. None of these gave me an excuse for bad spelling.

That sweetie is just laziness
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If that's what you were looking for why didn't you ask?

The way you phrased your original post just invited ridicule.
Duhh !!! which bit of ( Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ) was not clear
As too the ridicule,that was not invited,but imparted on me by narrow minded bored expats who,s sole purpose on here is to shoot others down

OK rant is over,,now sit back and enjoy even more flack
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Then far be it from me to criticize, however if that were the response that you were after then instead of

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs

Would it not have been better to phrase it maybe like this

I heard a saying today that I have never come across before. It was "kitty corner" which apparently means 'diagonally across from'.

Is this a Canadian term that anyone else has heard used before and does anyone know the roots of this phrase.

Has anybody else heard other terms or phrases since being here that you haven't heard before.

And this comes from a person that was born and bought up on one of the roughest council estates in Leicester, mum worked in a shop, dad was a mechanic amongst other things. I have done many jobs - one of which was working behind a make-up counter. All of which I enjoyed and none of which were worthy of a Nobel Prize but all of which I enjoyed immensely. None of these gave me an excuse for bad spelling.

That sweetie is just laziness
In future i shall send all my thread ideas to you for screening,,and re-writing yours sound better than mine
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, do you know this phrase?

If you can't stand the heat stay out of the Kitchen.

OR

Shit happens

OR

Suck it up Buttercup
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:54 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Duhh !!! which bit of ( Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ) was not clear
As too the ridicule,that was not invited,but imparted on me by narrow minded bored expats who,s sole purpose on here is to shoot others down

Ok, Matey just a few MORE spelling and grammar mistakes.

Oddly enough there is a spell check function which could have avoided this response.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:55 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

In future i shall send all my thread ideas to you for screening,,and re-writing yours sound better than mine

Its not a case of criticizing or screening - it was more your self deprecation that made me cross. Are you that insecure that you need to blame your job????

If your grammar worries you then start every post with a disclaimer - not about being a truck driver (see YYZ's post and my frickin god this gal is clever) but just explain "my spelling and grammar are atrocious - I am too lazy to use a spell checker - but you know what - I don't care" (however as an aside probably best to steer clear in that case of comments relating to others use of the same)
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

You omit in your above quote your most unkind comment about Canadian grammar which you managed to spell incorrectly along with numerous other misspelled words and you called North Americans/Canadians "uncouth yobs".

And you have the nerve to call those that attacked you narrow minded?

Perhaps had you been a little less sanctimonious in your original thread people wouldn't have jumped all over you.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You omit in your above quote your most unkind comment about Canadian grammar which you managed to spell incorrectly along with numerous other misspelled words and you called North Americans/Canadians "uncouth yobs".

And you have the nerve to call those that attacked you narrow minded?

Perhaps had you been a little less sanctimonious in your original thread people wouldn't have jumped all over you.
OI, I only jump the sexy ones
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:03 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Graham's been taking flack for his spelling for years now he's typing with one hand it's gone to the dogs
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Graham's been taking flack for his spelling for years now he's typing with one hand it's gone to the dogs
OI, is it really necessary to call him a Wanker?????
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:20 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OI, is it really necessary to call him a Wanker?????
stop making juvenile comments
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:26 am
Banned

stop making juvenile comments
Yes Miss

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:32 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yes Miss

now now Butch, I'm a working girl by name only
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:02 am
Banned

now now Butch, I'm a working girl by name only
What Melanie Griffith?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.