Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What language do they speak,it aint English

What language do they speak,it aint English

Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Yes it would,as the term bi-weekly meens TWICE A WEEK not FORTNIGHTLY
Err, no it doesn't. Bi-weekly means once every two weeks. If you wanted to say "twice a week" with a similar construction, it would be "semi-weekly".

cf. bi-annual (once every 2 years)
semi-annual (once every 6 months)
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Ok, a diversion......

Many years ago, as a student, I took a placement job in London (I'm Scottish). One Friday night I had the joy of sitting in Victoria Bus Station waiting for the overnight bus to Glasgow. As I tried to mind my own business and ignore the drunks around me a young man came up and spoke to me in a language I didn't understand. I shook my head, tried to look apologetic and said 'sorry' but he just repeated what he'd said before. So, I shook my head again and said 'Sorry, I only speak English' (true, I didn't even sit O Grade French ) when he repeated himself again I realised he was asking where to get the bus to Newcastle (his home town)!
D' y' knaa wheor ah gerron for the Toon, pet?

Perfectly clear to me.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:44 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
One time I was in the launderette doing washing and an older guy (70's) came to speak to me. I think I got about 1 word in 10 - did a lot of smiling and nodding my head!

The Newfoundland accent generally sounds a lot more Irish than Canadian, and has a whole pile of words and sayings that I am slowly picking up.

touch of the AIDS!

Elaine - hows life back over the pond?
As a fellow Aberdonian we probably find the NF (Irish) accent easier to understand than most because the Doric language is a mouthful itself and usually spoken at one helluva speed.

ken fit I mean quine
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
D' y' knaa wheor ah gerron for the Toon, pet?

Perfectly clear to me.
My mum went to Newcastle from Sunderland and couldn't understand what they were saying. Some of my stupid "friends" down south couldn't understand my Dad's accent, funnily enough some American students had no problem, and, even if they did they wouldn't dream of mocking him.

Languages vary and evolve. We shouldn't look down on someone because they speak differently to the way we do. It may be a local speech pattern, all the "would've" "would have", "he done" phrases. I do hate it when I see these written down, especially spelling mistakes in homophones. One thing the rows on this forum have taught me is to try and be more tolerant of other's writing style. It’s hard to do, and because of the spelling and grammar errors posts often don't make sense to me on first reading.

I expect formal writing to be correct. I have seen job adverts that talk of "to better serve" and one for a "Priniciple Accountant". I do think accountants should have principles though.

Back to the OP, stupid mistake to criticize others language and not use the spell checker. Also it’s another country another way of doing things. We have to learn! I don't like to hear the use of "impact" as in "it impacted us". I could go on but I won't. (Sighs of relief all round.)
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I must admit the OP does have a point. After all, everyone in the UK speaks perfect grammatical English all the time, and as well they all spell perfectly too!!! This is what gives people from the UK the right to criticize other people (or should it be criticise?).

I figure (think?) that if you can't accept the differences; you can't accept that Canadian/Australian/New Zealand etc. etc. version of English is different but just as correct as the English version, then you should stay in England where, as I said, they all speak perfectly!!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Purley
Well, I must admit the OP does have a point. After all, everyone in the UK speaks perfect grammatical English all the time, and as well they all spell perfectly too!!! This is what gives people from the UK the right to criticize other people (or should it be criticise?).

I figure (think?) that if you can't accept the differences; you can't accept that Canadian/Australian/New Zealand etc. etc. version of English is different but just as correct as the English version, then you should stay in England where, as I said, they all speak perfectly!!
Too right sunshine

As evidenced by the consistent use of good spelling and grammar on this forum!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
It’s hard to do, and because of the spelling and grammar errors posts often don't make sense to me on first reading.

Back to the OP, stupid mistake to criticize others language and not use the spell checker.
But even the spell checker has a limited use.

I recall reading an article about sexual assault where the word 'therapist' came out as 'the rapist'.

A simple typo perhaps, but not funny.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Which makes me wonder how many here will re-read their posts. I try to for mine.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:44 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

We had been in Canada over 20 years before my husband heard the expression of 'kitty corner' for the first time. He was quite confused and had no idea of what it meant. I had heard it a number of times so then had to explain what it meant.

As for using words like 'too' and 'to' frequently people write 'loose' for 'lose' may be it would seem that English was not their strong subject even for those in N.America.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:57 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simeongb
if butch says you`re thick and can`t spell or puncuate,you`re a mug and should stay off the keypad
Welcome back old 'friend'.
Now why don't you take your own advice?

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; Sep 20th 2008 at 6:59 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:59 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We had been in Canada over 20 years before my husband heard the expression of 'kitty corner' for the first time. He was quite confused and had no idea of what it meant. I had heard it a number of times so then had to explain what it meant.
I have been in North America on and off (mostly on) since 1977. I'd never heard of the expression until it appeared in this thread. Is it a regional thing?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:00 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in North America on and off (mostly on) since 1977. I'd never heard of the expression until it appeared in this thread. Is it a regional thing?
I had actually heard it used in the UK. I have also heard Katie Corner
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:23 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I had actually heard it used in the UK. I have also heard Katie Corner
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kitty-corner

I've never heard the alternative "catercorner" either. I must get out more.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kitty-corner

I've never heard the alternative "catercorner" either. I must get out more.
(oh no, will you warn us when??)

I have heard it used in these parts, took me a while to work out what they meant.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
"of" annoys me instead of 'have'.
I'm not even born british/english spoken but learnt when I was a kid and kept it going. Add to it being grammatically and spelling dyslexic. (I'm still trying to work out how I even managed to teach English.) "of" instead of "have" is one of my pet peeves.

I know it sounds that way when we are speaking but it's not correct to write that way.
I disagree! The two sound different. Or at least they should.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.