Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What language do they speak,it aint English

What language do they speak,it aint English

Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default What language do they speak,it aint English

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things???

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "

it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs
Geez who p*ssed in your cornflakes this morning.

Pot kettle black, I've highlighted some of your own mistakes, uncouth yob.

Last edited by Steve_P; Sep 19th 2008 at 9:07 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really a nasty old bitch but I am terrible and I cannot ignore a post about English when the English in the post itself is not correct.

I won't say anything more as I know we all type very quickly and with mistakes, especially when we are annoyed - but at the risk of sounding condescending I agree with what you say and personally hate a lot of mistakes that now seem to be the norm.

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Geez who p*ssed in your cornflakes this morning.
No one Steve.. i just find how the Kanuks and Yanks use our langauge quite amusing some times and very misleading... i spent 30 mins driving arround the tiny town of Emerson trying to find Kitty Corner:curse: the Tom Tom didnt help either
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:09 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???

sorry to be picky.....being an uncouth yob to be.....but check your spelling mate!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No one Steve.. i just find how the Kanuks and Yanks use our langauge quite amusing some times and very misleading... i spent 30 mins driving arround the tiny town of Emerson trying to find Kitty Corner:curse: the Tom Tom didnt help either
Ooh, my turn!

Berk.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm not really a nasty old bitch but I am terrible and I cannot ignore a post about English when the English in the post itself is not correct.

I won't say anything more as I know we all type very quickly and with mistakes, especially when we are annoyed - but at the risk of sounding condescending I agree with what you say and personally hate a lot of mistakes that now seem to be the norm.

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!
In my deffence i,m a truck driver,,only just scrapped an O level in English together, but speak and write three langauges, German and Swiss and English badly.
So do you have any examples of North American English ???
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:16 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Try moving to Newfoundland - that'll open your eyes (or ears?!?)

Some day for weather b'y.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar

Duhh !!!!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite thing I ever heard from a Newfie was a guy describing someone who was sick by saying he had "a wee touch of the AIDS".

(sorry I know it's in really bad taste but it still made me laugh)
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:27 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problems with typos ....... I do loads of them, but I have noticed a huge amount of "too" instead of 'to' and as I said before - "of" annoys me instead of 'have'.

I know it sounds that way when we are speaking but it's not correct to write that way.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:30 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

One time I was in the launderette doing washing and an older guy (70's) came to speak to me. I think I got about 1 word in 10 - did a lot of smiling and nodding my head!

The Newfoundland accent generally sounds a lot more Irish than Canadian, and has a whole pile of words and sayings that I am slowly picking up.

touch of the AIDS!

Elaine - hows life back over the pond?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

One time I was in the launderette doing washing and an older guy (70's) came to speak to me. I think I got about 1 word in 10 - did a lot of smiling and nodding my head!

The Newfoundland accent generally sounds a lot more Irish than Canadian, and has a whole pile of words and sayings that I am slowly picking up.

touch of the AIDS!

Elaine - hows life back over the pond?
All good over here thanks Although I guess my accent is a little screwed up I've had a few people ask me where I'm from and this is the town I grew up in
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

heard this on a radio advert for car sales..
"payments can be made bi-weekly " this to a north American means once every two weeks
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:46 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

heard this on a radio advert for car sales..
"payments can be made bi-weekly " this to a north American means once every two weeks
And 'fortnight' makes more sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.