Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What language do they speak,it aint English

What language do they speak,it aint English

Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You know, the pedant in me should really be getting some pleasure from this thread. But somehow it's not working.

Ok, a diversion......

Many years ago, as a student, I took a placement job in London (I'm Scottish). One Friday night I had the joy of sitting in Victoria Bus Station waiting for the overnight bus to Glasgow. As I tried to mind my own business and ignore the drunks around me a young man came up and spoke to me in a language I didn't understand. I shook my head, tried to look apologetic and said 'sorry' but he just repeated what he'd said before. So, I shook my head again and said 'Sorry, I only speak English' (true, I didn't even sit O Grade French ) when he repeated himself again I realised he was asking where to get the bus to Newcastle (his home town)!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
I wasn't aware that there was such a language.....
Duhh..Switzerland has 4 official langauges
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
And 'fortnight' makes more sense?
Yes it would,as the term bi-weekly meens TWICE A WEEK not FORTNIGHTLY
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:05 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Duhh..Switzerland has 4 official langauges
NONE of which is Swiss.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs
and to think we were once a colony of the UK......!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
NONE of which is Swiss.
swiss german,swiss french,swiss italian and retro romansch
so min liibe gold schatz jetz bisch du wiider drah
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Cmorffew is an unknown quantity at this point

My favourite .....

write me.

:curse:
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:57 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

In my deffence i,m a truck driver,,only just scrapped an O level in English together, but speak and write three langauges, German and Swiss and English badly.
So do you have any examples of North American English ???
Ok a couple of "issues" I have here. One pretty much the same as everyone else is why open yourself to ridicule when the subject of your post is as you stated above something you know nothing about.

Secondly and more to the point - why are you putting yourself down???? Are you saying that all truck drivers are thick or something - cos let me tell you just because someone chooses to drive for a living, certainly doesn't make them uneducated. That was a stupid thing to say.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:01 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

does the term clutching at straws mean anything to you?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Ok a couple of "issues" I have here. One pretty much the same as everyone else is why open yourself to ridicule when the subject of your post is as you stated above something you know nothing about.

Secondly and more to the point - why are you putting yourself down???? Are you saying that all truck drivers are thick or something - cos let me tell you just because someone chooses to drive for a living, certainly doesn't make them uneducated. That was a stupid thing to say.
I dont think the OP started out thick, I imagine he addled his three brain cells whilst sniffing the diesel fumes
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:07 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
And 'fortnight' makes more sense?
You mean they haven't heard of a Millifortnight?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Swiss german, swiss french and swiss italian are dialects, not languages....in the same way that the french spoken in Quebec (well not the french spoken in Gatineau...I don't think anybody else wants to claim that) is a dialect of 'french'.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 5:21 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs
You've got too much time on your hands Keep up with the therapy and get back to work.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:07 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
did you get it from me or this your own personal pet hate as well ?

see post *3

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!
No, I didn't get it from you, hadn't read your post when I responded. This is something that drives me nuts and is written and said by so many so-called educated Brits, so now it seems to be accepted as correct. :curse:
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I dont think the OP started out thick, I imagine he addled his three brain cells whilst sniffing the diesel fumes
if butch says you`re thick and can`t spell or puncuate,you`re a mug and should stay off the keypad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.