Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What language do they speak,it aint English

What language do they speak,it aint English

Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:47 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What language do they speak,it aint English

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
All good over here thanks Although I guess my accent is a little screwed up I've had a few people ask me where I'm from and this is the town I grew up in

We were home for a visit recently and I found that everybody sounded really Scottish - bizarre! Just sounded a bit strange on the ears - how have you found it? I suppose I am just used to the Newfoundland accent now.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
And 'fortnight' makes more sense?
Exactly so what if they use different terms. When I moved to Canada at first I used let these thing annoy me, now I'm a lot more relaxed about it especially with a little boy who has spend his first 5 years of life in Canada I'm not going to correct him if he calls a bin a garbage can or pronounces tomato the "north American way".
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar

We were home for a visit recently and I found that everybody sounded really Scottish - bizarre! Just sounded a bit strange on the ears - how have you found it? I suppose I am just used to the Newfoundland accent now.
I find the accents sound a lot stronger and I'm kinda hoping my little boy keeps his Canadian accent but he's only 5 so that's unlikely.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

terrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???
And as to the grammer they use

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "
It means diagonaly across from some where.

You will never hear a North American say " Susan and i went shopping"
it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs

You don't hear English people saying that either. Very few people speak grammatically correct English. Why should they?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:15 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrywogan
You don't hear English people saying that either. Very few people speak grammatically correct English. Why should they?
they should because it should be taught properly.

I was corrected more than once by my Yorkshire mother for saying "me n' Gemma and especially for what she considered to be slang like "shut door without a 'the'
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:17 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Been here a year now and am still amaized and sometimes confused at some of the terms and expretions i hear..have you heard some strange things ???

Kitty corner my boss said that to me whilst giving dirrections.. " its kitty corner the parking lot "

it will allways be "Me and Susan " this from the President and Prime Minister down...the uncouth yobs
Well who are "they"?
This is Canada, not the UK.
You know what really gets me? When people from the UK use the term "could of" instead of "could have" etc.
And your spelling is the pits.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm not really a nasty old bitch but I am terrible and I cannot ignore a post about English when the English in the post itself is not correct.

I won't say anything more as I know we all type very quickly and with mistakes, especially when we are annoyed - but at the risk of sounding condescending I agree with what you say and personally hate a lot of mistakes that now seem to be the norm.

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!

Gah...this used to drive me nuts in my GCSE English classes. My brothers and I all came top of our years in English in England, which made us (the Canadian implants) laugh hysterically. I couldn't comprehend the fact that the teachers never corrected this mistake, despite the fact that it would actually make me cringe. Got worse when they decided before my A-levels that txt speak was allowed, and spelling and grammar no longer mattered.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

it will allways be "Me and Susan "
Actually...EVERY North American I have contact with (family, colleagues, friends) say it correctly...whereas nearly EVERY person I knew in England (family, friends, colleagues) said it incorrectly. Are generalisations wonderful?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

terrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the roughterrywogan is a jewel in the rough

they should because it should be taught properly.

I was corrected more than once by my Yorkshire mother for saying "me n' Gemma and especially for what she considered to be slang like "shut door without a 'the'
Yes -it should be taught properly; and when the Queen comes to stay, it can be dusted off and used. But for everyday conversation with your friends you just need to talk how they talk. It is only necessary to know how to speak properly.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:26 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Well who are "they"?
This is Canada, not the UK.
You know what really gets me? When people from the UK use the term "could of" instead of "could have" etc.
And your spelling is the pits.
did you get it from me or this your own personal pet hate as well ?

see post *3

My personal pet hate is ...... I would of - I could of ..... instead of HAVE !!!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:30 pm

so we should all speak like the people in Catherine Tate videos and Borat and suchlike and East - friggin - Eastenders where nobody uses an actual TH anymore but only an 'F' or a 'V''

I really like yous Bradley but I don't Fink we sould be togeVer !
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

so we should all speak like the people in Catherine Tate videos and Borat and suchlike and East - friggin - Eastenders where nobody uses an actual TH anymore but only an 'F' or a 'V''

I really like yous Bradley but I don't Fink we sould be togeVer !
Well, yes. If that's what your friends sound like, then speak as they do. I had a broad Liverpudlian accent when I first came to London and I lost it fairly quickly when I got a job and I mixed with Londoners.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrywogan
Well, yes. If that's what your friends sound like, then speak as they do. I had a broad Liverpudlian accent when I first came to London and I lost it fairly quickly when I got a job and I mixed with Londoners.
You know, the pedant in me should really be getting some pleasure from this thread. But somehow it's not working.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

In my deffence i,m a truck driver,,only just scrapped an O level in English together, but speak and write three langauges, German and Swiss and English badly.
I wasn't aware that there was such a language.....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Wait for the usual vultures to jump in. It is why we left the UK. Trouble is they are over here as well....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.