Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I was just checking that was the thread name as it seems to have gone way off topic!
It is only natural

Incidentally, one thing i love about my particular part of Canuckia, is that when it is a nice sunny afternoon here, it is very early morning in London.

This means i can lay out in the back garden with a chilled bottle of beer and listen to the post-pub / insomniac nutters on LBC radio via the interweb.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just checking that was the thread name as it seems to have gone way off topic!
I think that's more the case on pro-Canada threads than anti-Canada ones. It seems to me that the best and worst of Canada is that nothing ever happens, it's stable but a backwater. It only takes a couple of posts to sing the praises of the place "no one bothers me, people tend not to be rude" and there's not much excitement in that.

Consequently, when someone posts something outrageous, such as "the radio/TV is ok", everyone else jumps on that and the thread picks up pace while going off topic.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

but surely the lack of a UK-esque, overt television tax in Canada is another reason to love this land!!?

Yay! we remain on topic!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
John Peel breaking new acts on R1 then, because he didnt have to worry what the advertisers would think?
How long has he been dead?

Or the Old Grey Whistle Test on the telly? Didnt even run to a schedule, sometimes acts would play for an hour and a half if they were having fun!
If I had a time machine I wouldn't have emigrated. There was a time when pop music wasn't a cookie cutter industry run by Simon Cowell.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
If I had a time machine I wouldn't have emigrated. There was a time when pop music wasn't a cookie cutter industry run by Simon Cowell.
You left because you didn't like a percieved decline in the quality of pop music and you went to Calgary, Canada? Blimey. That's a bit Bogart in Casablanca.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
it's stable but a backwater
I like dull, less stressful. One of the main reasons I moved here was because it's less stressful. Dull is underrated, imo.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

You left because you didn't like a percieved decline in the quality of pop music and you went to Calgary, Canada? Blimey. That's a bit Bogart in Casablanca.
No I moved I think primarily because I grew up in a rural area. That became a suburban area. That became an urban area. And because I moved around so much and kept coming back to it, it was blatantly apparent to me, but people who lived there didn't notice it so much because to them it happened more gradually.

"Why do you live in this s--thole?" "Oh, it's not that bad."

Yes it is.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:02 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that the best and worst of Canada is that nothing ever happens, it's stable but a backwater.
Sums it up pretty well for me. Easy place to live but all rather bland. I find it hard to have any really strong feelings about living here. I suspect I will end up in London again at some point.

Last edited by lmartin999; Jul 15th 2010 at 7:04 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

There was a time when pop music wasn't a cookie cutter industry run by Simon Cowell.
Pop music has a history of assembly line manufactured hits and hit makers....think Motown, disco hits, one hit wonders, power balladers or many songs not performed by their writer etc.

Despite this, Simon Cowell is a rather odious smug twunt. I saw him yesterday on an old episode of Top Gear and him plus Clarkson was not a pleasant combo as they both seem to have a healthy scorn for one another.

Radio 1 to me seems to be (in the daytime at least) more about the DJ and their over inflated ego about themselves than the music. The breakfast show is the prime example of this.

Canadian commercial morning shows are often just as excutiating as a team of the 'morning zoo crew' or 'breakfast bunch' have inane chat and laugh over one anothers lame attempts at humour.

These days, my listening tends to be 6Music (on line), 5Live (online for the sport), Radio1 and 2 and the local university stations. I'm too old to be spending time listening to live remotes from furniture stores.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:15 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Pop music has a history of assembly line manufactured hits and hit makers....think Motown, disco hits, one hit wonders, power balladers or many songs not performed by their writer etc.
I agree, and also think this doesn't make the music any less creative or original. A good friend of mine from school is the guy (writer/producer) behind Girls Aloud and other bands and I know the work and energy etc that goes into what he does and what is involved in creating a 'hit'. It certainly is not simple, quick or automatic and the word 'manufactured' is probably not a fair description. I also don't think there is anything wrong with good 'pop' music.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
A vague guess of bullshit?

The stats that shalt not be doubted (despite a lack of qualifying linky dinks) states '18 minutes or so' of ads per televisual hour.

Whereas my baseless conjecture brazenly suggested 20 minutes per hour.

As bullshit guesses go, i am quite content with my summation!

Just saying.
Happy for you.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:18 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Because it costs me less!!!
I still believe you get what you pay for. It may be cheap, but if it's rubbish, then what value are you really getting for you money?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

As per usual.

Nothing new there.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How long has he been dead?

Thats not the point though is it, the fact the BBC doesnt have to pander to advertisers seeking particular demographics means there is a place there for innovation and stuff that has not (yet) got a commercial following. I just dont happen to know who it was inherited his mantle.

As others have pointed out there is nothing new about mass produced commercial pop.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:36 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

My dad was into Radio 2, it's crap in my finely attuned opinion. Not quite as crap as Radio 1 I'll grant you.

Have to admit I only listened to Radio 6 once after I discovered the existence of Radio 5, I don't recall it being particularly special but it was better than Radio 1. I just did a Google search and it looks as though its days are numbered.
In the 90's I listened to Radio 1, now I listen to R2. I suppose you kind of make the switch as you grow up, or rather older. I don't think R2 has the 'Old Fogey' stigma it used to have. Terry wogan has gone, replaced by the Ginger Tosser. Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie have an excellent show in the evenings. Some of the music is a little too middle of the road for me though.

6 Music has actually just had a reprieve. The case for closing them (made by Mark Thompson DGM) was reviewed by the BBC Trust. The trust decided that the case hadn't been made.

6 Music is a truly excellent station in every aspect. Another great place for music is npr http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=37 which is based in the US.
This has a great archive of recordings and podcasts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.