British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What do you like about living in your part of Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-do-you-like-about-living-your-part-canada-676675/)

Steve_ Jul 14th 2010 5:28 pm

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

I'm sure this thread already exists in the x hundred pages of threads but when I was going through the whinging thread I was actually thinking of a lot more reasons why I like Canada than dislike it. Frankly rarely a day goes by when I don't think to myself: "Thank God I don't live in the UK anymore".

Some of the things I like:

Space - the UK is too crowded, Calgary is not. And it manifests itself in so many ways, like parking spaces I can actually fit my car into, supermarkets I can walk around;
Lower taxes - in fact way lower taxes in Alberta, the top rate doesn't kick in until you're earning over $127,000 and even then it's 39%. What is it in the UK now, 40% over £35,000 or something? And there's even a 50% bracket for really big earners. 5% GST! $1 a litre for premium gas!
More people to talk to - sort of contrary to my first point but what I mean is that there are 350 million plus people in N America who speak English (sort of), anywhere I go I can talk to people - plus they're usually polite;
Sunshine - okay sort of a praries thing I grant you but God I've been in a better mood ever since I moved to Canada;
Less crapness - by which I mean less yobbos, graffiti, rudeness, urban decay generally. And frankly I think it's not just low population density that's responsible for that one, I think the additional controls on alcohol play a large part too;
Countryside - you can't beat the Rockies on your doorstep. I quite like BC too but I start to go a bit mad when the trees start to close in around me;
Music - I think one of the most underrated things about Canada is that they do have a lot of good musicians here. It's such a relief to turn on the radio and they're not playing boy/girl band manufactured crappo pop on most of the stations.

dbd33 Jul 14th 2010 5:33 pm

Re: What do you like about living in Canada?

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 8701584)
Music - I think one of the most underrated things about Canada is that they do have a lot of good musicians here. It's such a relief to turn on the radio and they're not playing boy/girl band manufactured crappo pop on most of the stations.

<reads twice>

<struggles to get head around it>

<hopes Steve_ is a Country and Western fan>

Steve_ Jul 14th 2010 5:35 pm

No I'm not a C&W fan. People think Calgary is all western, but it's not really, people just pretend during the Stampede. But they have people here who actually know how to play musical instruments and write music. It's a novel concept I know but it's true.

Elaine B. Jul 14th 2010 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8701592)
<reads twice>

<struggles to get head around it>

<hopes Steve_ is a Country and Western fan>

So I'm not the only one who was confused by that bit.

Anyway glad the OP is happy in Calgary:)

CanadaJimmy Jul 14th 2010 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 8701584)
Frankly rarely a day goes by when I don't think to myself: "Thank God I don't live in the UK anymore".

I was like that for the first few months living here, but now I rarely even think about the UK. The thought of not being able getting PR and having to go back to the UK terrifies me though, so I cannot wait until that is finally sorted out.

One thing I like about Canada is just the fact so much of it is new. For example if a building is beginning to get old and fall apart they knock it down and replace it. The UK has a habit of keeping old buildings, even ugly 60s concrete monstrosities, instead of getting rid of them. Keeping everything new keeps the quality of life better.

People are polite and also often willing to have a chat. There are some places in the UK where people are friendly, like in more rural communities, but in Canada even in the cities people are nicer. You could be right with your population density theory.

Shopping is more pleasant too at bigger supermarkets. Less ready meals and luxury food items, people complain about less choice but I prefer it. You can get nice fresh veg and make your own healthier food.

After a year though my memory of the UK is already going fuzzy. My life in Canada just is my life now, and I don't want to live anywhere else.

dbd33 Jul 14th 2010 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 8701604)
So I'm not the only one who was confused by that bit.

Anyway glad the OP is happy in Calgary:)

I hate the music. And all those ugly new buildings. What I like is official bilingualism and ethnic diversity, I actually enjoy having to point and smile in shops because Chinese food is sold by people who only speak Chinese and Greek food by people who only speak Greek.

zRichi Jul 14th 2010 5:47 pm

+1 - Not having N-Dubz as national idols

Elaine B. Jul 14th 2010 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8701611)
I hate the music. And all those ugly new buildings. What I like is official bilingualism and ethnic diversity, I actually enjoy having to point and smile in shops because Chinese food is sold by people who only speak Chinese and Greek food by people who only speak Greek.

I think the ethnic diversity is one of the few things I miss about Canada we don't exactly get that in Northern Ireland.

iaink Jul 14th 2010 5:50 pm

<Hoping to get thread back on topic before it goes off at tangent about music, architecture and what people DONT LIKE:sneaky:>

I love the sense of space

I love 4 real seasons, a hot summer, a snowy winter, beautiful fall...spring..meh, not so much

I love the lack of stress or the need to "keep up with the jonses"

I love the absence of petty crime and vandalism in my life.

I love not dealing with rush hour traffic.

I love that kids can be kids here for longer

I could add more, as I have in the countless other threads on this subject in the past, and Im prepared to accept that not all the above will apply to all people and places in Canada, so lets keep this thread on the positives you see, rather than arguing the toss if you dont mind.

Steve_ Jul 14th 2010 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy (Post 8701608)
I was like that for the first few months living here, but now I rarely even think about the UK.

I've been living here for years and it still goes through my mind all the time! :lol:

dbd33 Jul 14th 2010 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 8701623)
I think the ethnic diversity is one of the few things I miss about Canada we don't exactly get that in Northern Ireland.

Lots of people "who speak English (sort of)" though, or so I've heard.

Elaine B. Jul 14th 2010 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 8701633)
Lots of people "who speak English (sort of)" though, or so I've heard.

That sounds about right.:D

Lorry1 Jul 14th 2010 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8701626)
<Hoping to get thread back on topic before it goes off at tangent about music, architecture and what people DONT LIKE:sneaky:>

I love the sense of space

I love 4 real seasons, a hot summer, a snowy winter, beautiful fall...spring..meh, not so much

I love the lack of stress or the need to "keep up with the jonses"

I love the absence of petty crime and vandalism in my life.

I love not dealing with rush hour traffic.

I love that kids can be kids here for longer

I could add more, as I have in the countless other threads on this subject in the past, and Im prepared to accept that not all the above will apply to all people and places in Canada, so lets keep this thread on the positives you see, rather than arguing the toss if you dont mind.

I actually like Spring (particularly after a harsh winter), it means summers on its way :D
I like seeing motorbikes on the road again, it's kind of the first sign of summer like the flowers coming out lol
I like the snow melting and seeing the green grass again and the leaves growing back on the trees...everything coming back to life after a dead, baron winter.

OK..you got me started now...:sneaky:

I like the space, which is something I really appreciated after leaving London Gatwick and arriving in Halifax NS.

I like the fact that if you plan to do an hours car journey...it takes an hour.

I like that I can walk the dog along the trails, next to the huge lakes without fear that I'm going to get 'jumped' (except maybe by a bear :eek:)
There is definately less fear of petty crime here. People still leave their cars unlocked and some even still leave houses unlocked.

I like the fact that my kids can play out on the street without me keep checking they're OK every 10 seconds. The fact that they can go with friends and jump in the lakes during summer and skate on them during winter.

I'm sure there's more, but that's it for now :D

BristolUK Jul 14th 2010 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lorry1 (Post 8701802)
I actually like Spring (particularly after a harsh winter), it means summers on its way :D
I like seeing motorbikes on the road again, it's kind of the first sign of summer

Pah!
Wimpy bikers :p

I'm on my mountain bike the whole year round.:eek:

Lorry1 Jul 14th 2010 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 8701836)
Pah!
Wimpy bikers :p

I'm on my mountain bike the whole year round.:eek:

mhm and where do you live?