Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:42 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Originally Posted by Oink
It may not be the quality of a Stella
Are you Mike Skinner?

This is the image I have of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbNM...eature=related
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The Border were all BBC standard.
Which is why I don't watch either one...
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I like that you can get proper sausages and bacon at the Canadian Superstore.
Can you? Can't get them at my local CSS. We have MacEwan's though, he sells bacon and sausages, pork pies too. I can get decent sausage rolls at CSS, I think they're made in Edmonton.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:31 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I hope you don't mind, but I might send this sentence to the folks back home. They could all do with a laugh at the minute and this will have them rolling on the floor.
You dont see it much anymore, thank gawd.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:45 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Are you Mike Skinner?

This is the image I have of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbNM...eature=related
Yeah, yeah mate.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:05 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, yeah mate.
The pub with Darts you mentioned, is it the Sailor Hagger in N Van? They have excellent beer in there as well, brewed out back.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by John_B
My local when I lived in Stratford (E15) had Star on tap.
I was chuffed when my local in N3 also had draft Starro. I remained happy even after my Czech-mates (geddit?) told me it was considered piss back home and that they wouldn't dream of paying half of what we did in Blighty!

Incidentally, i got sucked into a movie on AMC last night and fek me if the final hour of the damn thing wasn't at least 60% commercial breaks!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

We currently live 40mins north of Kingston, Ontario on 10 acres.

Best thing about Canada, my wife.
The lifestyle is great.
I like the cold so I enjoy winters.
The fact that buying a house with some land is an obtainable dream.
Lakes, rivers.
The fishing.
Spending the weekend at a cottage.
A bit like when I lived in Rutland, there was a tractor towing hay broken down the other day. 4 different guys in pickup's all stopped to help the guy.
Gardening, having land to grow vegetables on.
Being able to let the dogs of leash all day without worrying about them annoying the neighbours (although one of our dogs has decided that chasing cyclists down the road is fun).
Random cyclists stopping by for some water, and to ask directions (google has the name of the road we are on wrong so if we are outside it happens more often than not).
The fact that when google was doing it's street view, my mother in law was in the front garden bent over. She doesn't find it as funny as we do.
Hockey, I really enjoy watching it. Haven't been to a local game yet though.
Ice Rinks in the parks, fields, back of people's houses in the winter.
Ontario lamb tastes great.
The first snow, a big white blanket the muffles all the sounds.
Fall, what an amazing time of year. The trees are beautiful.
The fact I can watch football on TV without Tommy Smith commenting..also being able to listen to it on Sirius radio.
The fact that you can go to the pub to watch football, and there will be other people watching it as well.
Exploring the outdoors/camping.
I'm not to far away from the Rally of The Tall Pines in Bancroft.
Exploring the small towns.
Cheese curds from Wilton Cheese factory, I love they way they squeak in your mouth.
From Kingston I can hop on a train and go to Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal (I couldn't do this when I was living in Peterborough, Ontario).
Looking up at night and seeing all the stars.
Rogers Rocket Hub, being able to have high speed internet in the country!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:44 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
Another great place for music is npr http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=37 which is based in the US.
This has a great archive of recordings and podcasts.
Thank you for that link, you are a gent.

As for 6Music, as a station it IS John Peel writ large..
I listen to nothing else (other that Woman's Hour occasionally).

I look forward to poking about on the link you posted..

The vast majority of Canadian broadcast media is either a poor imitation of it's U.S. equivalents or an even poorer rip off of it's U.K. equivalents.
In short I've come to view it as the "Chinese knock off handbag" of broadcasting..
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
Oh, big +1 on that one, Id overlooked that one
Sadly Im in a not spot

{edit}, having read a review just now, maybe there is hope for me yet, gonna have to check that out as I can get one bar on my phone in one corner of my house...cheers!

Last edited by iaink; Jul 16th 2010 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

We currently live 40mins north of Kingston, Ontario on 10 acres.

Best thing about Canada, my wife.
The lifestyle is great.
I like the cold so I enjoy winters.
The fact that buying a house with some land is an obtainable dream.
Lakes, rivers.
The fishing.
Spending the weekend at a cottage.
A bit like when I lived in Rutland, there was a tractor towing hay broken down the other day. 4 different guys in pickup's all stopped to help the guy.
Gardening, having land to grow vegetables on.
Being able to let the dogs of leash all day without worrying about them annoying the neighbours (although one of our dogs has decided that chasing cyclists down the road is fun).
Random cyclists stopping by for some water, and to ask directions (google has the name of the road we are on wrong so if we are outside it happens more often than not).
The fact that when google was doing it's street view, my mother in law was in the front garden bent over. She doesn't find it as funny as we do.
Hockey, I really enjoy watching it. Haven't been to a local game yet though.
Ice Rinks in the parks, fields, back of people's houses in the winter.
Ontario lamb tastes great.
The first snow, a big white blanket the muffles all the sounds.
Fall, what an amazing time of year. The trees are beautiful.
The fact I can watch football on TV without Tommy Smith commenting..also being able to listen to it on Sirius radio.
The fact that you can go to the pub to watch football, and there will be other people watching it as well.
Exploring the outdoors/camping.
I'm not to far away from the Rally of The Tall Pines in Bancroft.
Exploring the small towns.
Cheese curds from Wilton Cheese factory, I love they way they squeak in your mouth.
From Kingston I can hop on a train and go to Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal (I couldn't do this when I was living in Peterborough, Ontario).
Did you like Peterborough? We lived there for 2 years and then moved 40km SE and like life much better here though we still go into Pbro to shop etc my experience of Canadian life was soured by the first few years there.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

I didn't like Ptbo at all.
My brother had done a year in the states and had given me his car, so I had US plates on when I arrived in Ptbo.
Stopped and asked directions on George Street (or is it Water up there) by the beer store, ended up getting beaten up by 5 guys because they thought I was American. The best part was there was a cop just watching, he did nothing.
Without going into more detail, Ptbo didn't get much better for me after that.
I try to avoid Peterborough, although had my Stag night there (I still have friends who live there).
Found out later there was a Brit beaten and killed by 4 guys in the parking lot on Hunter Street the Monday after my stag weekend. Poor guy was just on a fishing trip.

Kingston area is much nicer,
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

ended up getting beaten up by 5 guys because they thought I was American.
Are there many jihadists in Peterborough?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Tommy Smyth is on the Champions League games here on TSN (can't remember if they are carrying games this upcoming season or not...it may be Sportsnet and Setanta). He really is insufferable with his corny expressions. He was just hired for the accent.

What kind of bills are you getting for your rocket hub...I got quoted I think $10/month for one that could have 500 mb/month...I think.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't like Ptbo at all.
My brother had done a year in the states and had given me his car, so I had US plates on when I arrived in Ptbo.
Stopped and asked directions on George Street (or is it Water up there) by the beer store, ended up getting beaten up by 5 guys because they thought I was American. The best part was there was a cop just watching, he did nothing.
Without going into more detail, Ptbo didn't get much better for me after that.
I try to avoid Peterborough, although had my Stag night there (I still have friends who live there).
Found out later there was a Brit beaten and killed by 4 guys in the parking lot on Hunter Street the Monday after my stag weekend. Poor guy was just on a fishing trip.

Kingston area is much nicer,
Yes, I heard about that, though it was a pub fight rather than a random attack. Not that it makes being brayed around the head by a pipe any better.

It is rough downtown but that didn't really affect us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.