Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about living in Canada?

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Apart from the parking (arguably unnecessary due to the ease of walking) I think pretty much all of the above applied to Norwich when I lived there.
Didnt apply to me, I had to drive across the city to work, past Carrow Road. Frequent gridlock as I recall

Couldnt afford a house there either

Did like Norwich though.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:55 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
No gangs or organised crime in Vancouver! If anyone gets shot, it was probably an American and even then, just a mistake.

Incidentally, what's the deal with these fence free front gardens?
Are we allowed / welcomed to walk across them or are they fenceless becuase pedestrian respect is such, that we walk around them anyways?

Who are the good guys?

(I hasten to add that currently, i am the good guy but if the general rule is to stroll the lawn, i am more than happy to oblige!)
I don't know!
When we first moved here the neighbours invited us round for a drink. They were standing outside the front and we started walking around the outside of their lawn to the driveway. They laughed at us and said 'you can walk accross the lawn if you like'. We were really nervous of doing that lol

We occasionally walk accross our neighbours back gardens to cut accross to the other side of the crescent. I always feel so awkward doing it though, like a naughty kid. They really don't mind here though. It's just such a different mentality!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

No gangs or organised crime in Vancouver! If anyone gets shot, it was probably an American and even then, just a mistake.

Incidentally, what's the deal with these fence free front gardens?
Are we allowed / welcomed to walk across them or are they fenceless becuase pedestrian respect is such, that we walk around them anyways?

Who are the good guys?

(I hasten to add that currently, i am the good guy but if the general rule is to stroll the lawn, i am more than happy to oblige!)
The meter readers, mail carriers will stroll across the lawn, we do if visiting next door. The kids from across the way will play there sometimes but a deliberate stroll across all the lawns would be frowned on. If you want to have a look at someone's tree or flower gardens then stroll on in.

No one seems to have mastered 3 point turns so reversing into someones driveway to turn around is common.

It took me a while to get used to but it does give a more open feeling. We took our fence down out the back too and that makes it seem as if it's all one park.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I don't know!
When we first moved here the neighbours invited us round for a drink. They were standing outside the front and we started walking around the outside of their lawn to the driveway. They laughed at us and said 'you can walk accross the lawn if you like'. We were really nervous of doing that lol

We occasionally walk accross our neighbours back gardens to cut accross to the other side of the crescent. I always feel so awkward doing it though, like a naughty kid. They really don't mind here though. It's just such a different mentality!
Honestly, I would have been laughing my ass off if I saw someone do that. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT ME PRECIOUS GRASS!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
How far outside the major cities? Cos even far outside of Downtown Vancouver, the traffic can be a bitch, and i would certainly not keep my car door unlocked.
Not a major city but you don't need to leave Moncton to see empty cars in parking lots with windows open (sometimes keys dangling from the ignition) and plenty of things left on seats.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I've noticed that in Halifax there don't seem to be fences...there also don't seem to be a lot of brick homes.
Same in NB. Very few fences around although I never see people walking between the houses though.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:25 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No gangs or organised crime in Vancouver!
I hope this is irony.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

It is interesting for me. I live in suburban Vancouver and so the grid block road pattern is in full effect.

Very few properties have their front gardens fenced in (although the newly built structures do tend to have walls and tree / bush lines.

The older houses though are still very open plan and those on the corner of intersections present a certain challenge to me, to not just walk on across.

Some home owners have planted strategically placed bushes on the outer most corner of their front lawn as a sort of cone or beacon for pedestrians to navigate around.

Because i will always walk on grass over concrete, my rule is this: if it is a single house dwelling, then walk around; if it is a building of mulitple occupancy, then haul on through.

Grass is natures carpet afterall!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I hope this is irony.
sarkasma (TM)
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:42 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I've noticed that in Halifax there don't seem to be fences...there also don't seem to be a lot of brick homes.

In urban southern Ontario, fences and/or hedges especially in the back yards are quite common.
OMG do NOT mention 'brick' homes. Steve will never let you live it down
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Honestly, I would have been laughing my ass off if I saw someone do that. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT ME PRECIOUS GRASS!
Grass, you have grass? the weeds and dandelions havent taken over??

jealous me
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

sarkasma (TM)
Yes it was obvious. Sorry, only been up five minutes.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not a major city but you don't need to leave Moncton to see empty cars in parking lots with windows open (sometimes keys dangling from the ignition) and plenty of things left on seats.
Same in different areas of BC. What i'm saying is that these threads paint a picture that isn't true throughout all of Canada.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Same in different areas of BC. What i'm saying is that these threads paint a picture that isn't true throughout all of Canada.
I fixed the thread title, happy now?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:12 pm

Not one of these 'crime' threads again. Per capita crime here isn't that much different to the UK.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
OMG do NOT mention 'brick' homes. Steve will never let you live it down
Most houses that appear to be brick in Canada are actually brick-faced, the only real brick houses I've seen are either pretty old or are in BC. Brick-faced houses seem to be popular in Ontario but in reality they're wood-framed.

The low R-value of brick was brought home to me once when I stayed at the Banff Springs hotel in winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.