Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about living in Canada?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Pah!
Wimpy bikers

I'm on my mountain bike the whole year round.
Your arse must be sore
Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:45 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Your arse must be sore
Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

I guess it is all a matter of perspective, but i thought it almost unfortunate that the OP seemed to derive satisfaction from Canada not due to what it offered but instead, due to it NOT being the UK.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter, but it did make me 'count my blessings' even more, as i realised that i love living in Canada so damn much, that i haven't given the 30+ years of living in the UK a second's thought since i arrived (whether good, bad or indifferent!)
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
I guess it is all a matter of perspective, but i thought it almost unfortunate that the OP seemed to derive satisfaction from Canada not due to what it offered but instead, due to it NOT being the UK.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter, but it did make me 'count my blessings' even more, as i realised that i love living in Canada so damn much, that i haven't given the 30+ years of living in the UK a second's thought since i arrived (whether good, bad or indifferent!)
Erm, so rather than have a go at the OP why not tell us what you like about it...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
mhm and where do you live?
Moncton
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Your arse must be sore
I asked for that.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

B91212 is on a distinguished road

I asked for that.
Which goes to show that you should be careful what you ask for.....
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

B91212 is on a distinguished road

The open space and general vastness
More outdoor lifestyle
Greater respect in kids
The weather (agree with IainK about spring though)
Sunny days, even when it's -30'c. I feel miserable now if we have two overcast days in a row
Bigger house (when I was in the UK a media room was where the dummies in school went to sit out the real lessons)

There are more but they tend to be about what I don't like as much in the UK compared to Canada

Last edited by B91212; Jul 14th 2010 at 8:40 pm. Reason: Poor grammar
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Pah!
Wimpy bikers

I'm on my mountain bike the whole year round.
Originally Posted by Lorry1
mhm and where do you live?
Moncton
You must have a tow truck driver on speed dial in the winter.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
You must have a tow truck driver on speed dial in the winter.
For a mountain bike?

What's speed dial?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Erm, so rather than have a go at the OP why not tell us what you like about it...
Have a go?

I started off with the caveat that perspective is key;
that any negative connotation from the original attitude was only 'almost';
and then i concluded by stating that my perception of the initial post doesn't really matter, but was nevertheless something i appreciated!

Of course I could've churned out a shopping list of those things I like, but instead I tried to be concise through the insinuation that i love everything to the extent that a mere, few months of living in Canada had eclipsed any memory (good / bad / indifferent) of several decades spent else where.

I shall try to be less contentious in future. My apologies.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:39 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
That sounds about right.
Fella from NI rang me on Thursday about buying my cab. I actually thought it was a mate taking the pee. Was funny.

Ooh'eye shurlee.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:40 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I was like that for the first few months living here, but now I rarely even think about the UK. The thought of not being able getting PR and having to go back to the UK terrifies me though, so I cannot wait until that is finally sorted out.

One thing I like about Canada is just the fact so much of it is new. For example if a building is beginning to get old and fall apart they knock it down and replace it. The UK has a habit of keeping old buildings, even ugly 60s concrete monstrosities, instead of getting rid of them. Keeping everything new keeps the quality of life better.

People are polite and also often willing to have a chat. There are some places in the UK where people are friendly, like in more rural communities, but in Canada even in the cities people are nicer. You could be right with your population density theory.

Shopping is more pleasant too at bigger supermarkets. Less ready meals and luxury food items, people complain about less choice but I prefer it. You can get nice fresh veg and make your own healthier food.

After a year though my memory of the UK is already going fuzzy. My life in Canada just is my life now, and I don't want to live anywhere else.
Give you chaps 4 years and you'll both be in the MBTTUK forum
Old Jul 15th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Fella from NI rang me on Thursday about buying my cab. I actually thought it was a mate taking the pee. Was funny.

Ooh'eye shurlee.
it's amazing the difference in accents within a few miles, I'm thankful that after a few years living in Canada mine has been toned down a little but I can't figure out why our little daughter sounds english
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:24 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Iain's "not keeping up with the jones's"

Not having to worry that you are completely up to date on the latest fashion because no-one gives a shit

Not having to MOT your car every year

The sense of community

The space to do your thing

The fact that people find you interesting because you're either Australian, Kiwi or British

The get togethers

The feeling that everyone mucks in to help each other

Kids do seem to be kids for longer

Camping

The fact that its not just posh people that keep horses

The small towns and there lovely 1930's square fronted buildings.

Seeing Hutterites walking down the street

Theres loads and loads ............................

oh yeah my Canadian husband

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.