Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

What do you like about living in your part of Canada?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:57 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about living in Canada?

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Not having to worry that you are completely up to date on the latest fashion because no-one gives a shit
Alright... keep ya Crocs on!

Took some serious wedge to get back to date when i left Canada though
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:45 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Finding my neighbours' kids (11 and 3) raiding my raspberry bushes. And not minding one little bit. I didn't have that attitude ten years ago.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I like....

Being able to cross the road without taking my life in my hands

Parking - cheap and plentiful.

Higher standard of customer service

The lack of traffic - driving is stress free compared to the UK

Being able to eat out more often - something we could not afford to do much in the UK

The slower pace of life

I can walk home from the pub late and not worry about being mugged

Crime does not seem to be as bad here - I went to Tim H's with a bloke from work the other week - very small NB town and he was amazed that I locked the car - something he never does even at home So if anyone wants a Ford pick up his address is.......

I can afford a nice house here detatched with three beds and two bathrooms - this is something we could have only dreamed of in the UK as for the same price we could have bought a two bed flat (in an area of town you would actually want to live)
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:02 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Finding my neighbours' kids (11 and 3) raiding my raspberry bushes. And not minding one little bit. I didn't have that attitude ten years ago.
That's another thing I really do like actually, where we live anyway, there are no fences around peoples gardens so you don't feel all enclosed in your own tiny little space.
The kids walk accross the gardens to go to school, and they are very respectful of other peoples property.
You can actually walk accross someones front garden without being shouted at and threatened with the police by the owner.

I also like that I live only 10 minutes for the sea and I work just down the road from it. It still freaks me out when I hear seagulls when I walk accross the road to get my lunch. I keep forgeting I'm so close to the ocean.

I like that even though it's a freezing cold day with snow on the ground, you look up and the sun is out and the sky is bright blue. It doesn't seem to rain much here in winter at all, so the kids can go out and play in the snow

Right, that's my lot, no more nice stuff about Canada
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:18 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully i'm not the only one but i find these threads very misleading for those who would gain the most from reading them.

The "likes" people are mentioning are often localised and certainly not transferable or generic throughout Canada.

If people are to create these questions, hopefully the'll localise it a touch more.

Harumph!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Hopefully i'm not the only one but i find these threads very misleading for those who would gain the most from reading them.

The "likes" people are mentioning are often localised and certainly not transferable or generic throughout Canada.

If people are to create these questions, hopefully the'll localise it a touch more.

Harumph!!
It seems to me that most of what people are commenting on is pretty generic actually, but its generic to life outside the major cities.

(Maybe not so much the ocean though, but I live near a big river and can substitute Ospreys for Seagulls...there was even allegedly a Pelican on the river last week, although I didnt see it. I grew up by the sea in England anyway, so that wouldnt be a big plus for me over the UK.)

Last edited by iaink; Jul 15th 2010 at 1:36 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
It seems to me that most of what people are commenting on is pretty generic actually, but its generic to life outside the major cities.
How far outside the major cities? Cos even far outside of Downtown Vancouver, the traffic can be a bitch, and i would certainly not keep my car door unlocked.

Even the major cities differ in their offerings of life, from what i understand.

Anyhoo, just a thought, purely because a person reading some of these "likes" who are looking to head to Vancouver or Toronto could easily be mislead.

Plus it's the old subjective rearing its head again
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How far outside the major cities? Cos even far outside of Downtown Vancouver, the traffic can be a bitch, and i would certainly not keep my car door unlocked.
Locking your car is such a suburban thing. When I lived downtown (in Toronto) I had a sign on the dash "Doors Unlocked, Please Do Not Break Glass". Kids would still break the windows every month.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:05 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by dbd33
Locking your car is such a suburban thing. When I lived downtown (in Toronto) I had a sign on the dash "Doors Unlocked, Please Do Not Break Glass". Kids would still break the windows every month.
Really? Thanks bonkers.

Edited: The only time i have ever had anything stolen was out in the boonies of Cranbrook, BC. We had our quad stolen off the back of a trailer.

Last edited by el_richo; Jul 15th 2010 at 2:08 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Thanks bonkers.
I got the idea for the sign from ones that were common at the time, they said "Doors Unlocked. No Radio. Do Not Break Glass". Not sure if that sort of thing provokes people to break the glass or if they'd do it anyway.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:26 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvy
And people claim that there are no gangs of unruly yobs in Canada.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
That's another thing I really do like actually, where we live anyway, there are no fences around peoples gardens so you don't feel all enclosed in your own tiny little space.
I've noticed that in Halifax there don't seem to be fences...there also don't seem to be a lot of brick homes.

In urban southern Ontario, fences and/or hedges especially in the back yards are quite common.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:28 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I did something similar in the secured parkade of my condo building in Kits. Break-ins were a major problem and as you say getting the glass fixed was a pain. Definitely an advantage of having a convertible..
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:30 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I like....

Being able to cross the road without taking my life in my hands

Parking - cheap and plentiful.

Higher standard of customer service

The lack of traffic - driving is stress free compared to the UK

Being able to eat out more often - something we could not afford to do much in the UK

The slower pace of life

I can walk home from the pub late and not worry about being mugged

Crime does not seem to be as bad here - I went to Tim H's with a bloke from work the other week - very small NB town and he was amazed that I locked the car - something he never does even at home So if anyone wants a Ford pick up his address is.......

I can afford a nice house here detatched with three beds and two bathrooms - this is something we could have only dreamed of in the UK as for the same price we could have bought a two bed flat (in an area of town you would actually want to live)
Apart from the parking (arguably unnecessary due to the ease of walking) I think pretty much all of the above applied to Norwich when I lived there.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
And people claim that there are no gangs of unruly yobs in Canada.
No gangs or organised crime in Vancouver! If anyone gets shot, it was probably an American and even then, just a mistake.

Incidentally, what's the deal with these fence free front gardens?
Are we allowed / welcomed to walk across them or are they fenceless becuase pedestrian respect is such, that we walk around them anyways?

Who are the good guys?

(I hasten to add that currently, i am the good guy but if the general rule is to stroll the lawn, i am more than happy to oblige!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.