British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What do you dislike about living in Ontario? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-do-you-dislike-about-living-ontario-866527/)

Pizzawheel Oct 19th 2015 8:27 pm

Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11774891)
Is freeze-thaw really much of an issue to infrastructure outside of Alberta :rofl:

It's only in Alberta where it's not a problem. Freezing is quite OK when there's no thaw :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Siouxie Oct 19th 2015 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11774842)
It is, of course, true. It was tried many years ago but quickly abandoned because of the damage done to the highway.

How many cats eyes do you think would be left after this snow plowing exercise.

http://youtu.be/lUds1pWKMjs

Was it just me, or did anyone else want to shout out "Oy! Excuse me! You missed a bit...."

:lol:

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 19th 2015 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11774842)
It is, of course, true. It was tried many years ago but quickly abandoned because of the damage done to the highway.

How many cats eyes do you think would be left after this snow plowing exercise.

http://youtu.be/lUds1pWKMjs

Funny how the US manages to use snow plows and the reflectors in the road, there is a technique used where the plows can plow and not rip them up.

orly Oct 19th 2015 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 11774866)
a quick look at Plasticcanuck's video and you get an inkling why car insurance is high.

We have to pay for snow ploughs?

magnumpi Oct 20th 2015 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11775059)
Funny how the US manages to use snow plows and the reflectors in the road, there is a technique used where the plows can plow and not rip them up.

They adopt a safe ploughing system they use rubber tip ploughs ;)

Pizzawheel Oct 20th 2015 3:17 pm

New answer inspired by Magnumpi- the Ontario Liberal Party.

Pine Cone Oct 22nd 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11771095)
I can only give you three

1. at my age its the climate, that for 9 months a year totally sucks

2. Property taxes that are way too high.

3. Utilities, which are way too high

yes, all three. Plan is within [hopefully] the next 24 months when my 96 year old FIL pops his clogs - the sooner the better

Mind me asking where you are planning on going to next? Are your reasons common ones for people to leave Canada eventually?

Pizzawheel Oct 22nd 2015 2:12 pm

1. at my age its the climate, that for 9 months a year totally sucks
No doubt the cold does ache the joints compared to a warm, humid climate. I my years in Nigeria I never had one joint ache, it's like living in a sauna. You do get shot occasionally so I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

allycat231 Oct 22nd 2015 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11775059)

In PEI cats eyes are sunken into the road, allowing the snow plough to pass over.

Novocastrian Oct 22nd 2015 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pine Cone (Post 11777121)
Mind me asking where you are planning on going to next? Are your reasons common ones for people to leave Canada eventually?

I think so.

The winters in Canada (OK I speak of Toronto in particular, which is very far from the worst place in this respect) are abominable for older folk.

There is a time for everyone when digging 3-4 feet of overnight snowfall becomes tedious in the extreme and eventually life threatening.

Don't do it..

Siouxie Oct 23rd 2015 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11777484)
I think so.

The winters in Canada (OK I speak of Toronto in particular, which is very far from the worst place in this respect) are abominable for older folk.

There is a time for everyone when digging 3-4 feet of overnight snowfall becomes tedious in the extreme and eventually life threatening.

Don't do it..

The gentleman who owned my house died when shovelling snow. It happens more often than people think - in one storm last winter, 3 died in Hamilton alone. Three men die of heart attacks while shovelling snow

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11777610)
The gentleman who owned my house died when shovelling snow. It happens more often than people think - in one storm last winter, 3 died in Hamilton alone. Three men die of heart attacks while shovelling snow

Every winter the newspaper here has some sort of feature/advice on it.

I'm careful. Sometimes I just look at what's there and say sod that!

I do the steps so Mr Plow can get to the door for his $25 and then a bit of tidying up around the edges after he's gone.

plasticcanuck Oct 23rd 2015 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11777484)
I think so.

Don't do it..

The chances of getting 3-4 feel of overnight snowfall in Toronto and environs is slim to none. 3-4 inches is much more likely and not too frequently.

BristolUK Oct 23rd 2015 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11777848)
The chances of getting 3-4 feel of overnight snowfall in Toronto and environs is slim to none. 3-4 inches is much more likely and not too frequently.

Drifting?

I know we get more snow here but blowing/drifting snow frequently puts a greater depth of snow on our steps and across the drive (not just in patches) than official snowfall figures.

Not to mention the snow that has fallen being plowed into a ridge across the front of the drive.

I assume that happens in Toronto too.

dbd33 Oct 23rd 2015 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11777862)

Not to mention the snow that has fallen being plowed into a ridge across the front of the drive.

I assume that happens in Toronto too.

It does happen but the deepest drift I've seen in Toronto was about a foot. I believe there are deeper drifts elsewhere in Canada.