British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   What do you dislike about living in Ontario? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-do-you-dislike-about-living-ontario-866527/)

Piff Poff Oct 17th 2015 5:35 pm

Re: What do you dislike about living in Ontario?

2003 Chev Malibu

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 17th 2015 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 11773849)
2003 Chev Malibu

I guess we just get ripped off in BC with ICBC... We paid 1,200 when we had a 1998 Sunfire..

I can't remember what I paid as a youngster, wasn't very much maybe 800/yr but I was in California back then.

alpine_swift Oct 18th 2015 1:52 am

I've only moved to Toronto for a few months and yet I'm still struggling to cope with the following below, and by no means I'm not bashing them, they are just what I have experienced thus far.
1. Milk and Cheese way overpriced due to the government policy.(Good for the farmers though)
2. Summer is scorching hot and winter just started as of today where it snowed in Toronto in October.
3. Around 70%-80% of the job information can be acquired by CONNECTION, which leads to corruption and mediocre workforce.
4. Canadian biscuits are simply crap and not many to choose from at all, there're imported McVitie's from the UK but very expensive, even the local cream crackers are abysmal.
5. No distinctive culture.

BristolUK Oct 18th 2015 2:23 am

Originally Posted by alpine_swift (Post 11773969)
4. Canadian biscuits are simply crap and not many to choose from at all, there're imported McVitie's from the UK but very expensive, even the local cream crackers are abysmal.

Try these when they're on sale - about $2 a pack. Make sure they're the ordinary oatmeal ones.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...08fc3e1ffb.jpg
If you close your eyes they pass for hobnobs.

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 18th 2015 3:42 am

#3 there and thats how one ends up with companies full of family members and difficult for outsiders to get in.

Its tough getting good jobs in Canada if you dont know people.

Why are cookies called biscuits?

I've only moved to Toronto for a few months and yet I'm still struggling to cope with the following below, and by no means I'm not bashing them, they are just what I have experienced thus far.
1. Milk and Cheese way overpriced due to the government policy.(Good for the farmers though)
2. Summer is scorching hot and winter just started as of today where it snowed in Toronto in October.
3. Around 70%-80% of the job information can be acquired by CONNECTION, which leads to corruption and mediocre workforce.

Siouxie Oct 18th 2015 6:25 am

Search Results for 'mcvitae' at Walmart.ca
Jacob's Cream Crackers | Walmart.ca
Products - Bulk Barn

:)

Shard Oct 18th 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11774004)
#3 there and thats how one ends up with companies full of family members and difficult for outsiders to get in.

Its tough getting good jobs in Canada if you dont know people.

The question should be the other way round. Biscuit comes from the French word, biscuit. Americans probably found cookie a more homely way of describing the same item. Cookie is now being used in the UK too.

Since we're on the topic folks, just discovered chocolate chip Hobnobs! Progress is sweet.

BristolUK Oct 18th 2015 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11774004)

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11774079)
The question should be the other way round. Biscuit comes from the French word, biscuit. Americans probably found cookie a more homely way of describing the same item. Cookie is now being used in the UK too.

Why are scones called tea biscuits here? ;)

magnumpi Oct 18th 2015 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11774177)
Why are scones called tea biscuits here? ;)

Lol wild n wacky ehh, some times it feels like we live in a foreign country, crazy world !!

BristolUK Oct 18th 2015 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11774218)
Lol wild n wacky ehh, some times it feels like we live in a foreign country, crazy world !!

But it's really not the same thing is it. It's not just something being called by a different name. You expect a foreign or different country to have a foreign or different name for something.

You don't necessarily expect a commonwealth country, sharing the same language and many other things to use a word already existing to be used for something different and to use a different word for something already known by the word you use for something else.

This can't be answered by reference to Canada's proximity to the USA because Canada does many things not the American way.

Shard Oct 18th 2015 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11774234)
This can't be answered by reference to Canada's proximity to the USA because Canada does many things not the American way.

If that were the case you'd be ordering chips with your burgers.

magnumpi Oct 18th 2015 4:34 pm

My spelling has never been the best but isn't Biscuit and Cookie two totally different words ?

Now tire and tyre they are the same words just spelt differently

And Fries is originally a French thing not USA

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 18th 2015 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11774252)
My spelling has never been the best but isn't Biscuit and Cookie two totally different words ?

Now tire and tyre they are the same words just spelt differently

And Fries is originally a French thing not USA

Biscuit and cookie are different words. Using the UK definition on oxford dictionary:

Cookie- North American A sweet biscuit.

Origin

Early 18th century: from Dutch koekje 'little cake', diminutive of koek.

Biscuit-

UK- British A small baked unleavened cake, typically crisp, flat, and sweet:
a chocolate biscuit

US/North America- North American A small, soft round cake like a scone.

Origin

Middle English: from Old French bescuit, based on Latin bis 'twice' + coctus, past participle of coquere 'to cook' (so named because originally biscuits were cooked in a twofold process: first baked and then dried out in a slow oven so that they would keep).

bats Oct 18th 2015 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11774079)

Since we're on the topic folks, just discovered chocolate chip Hobnobs! Progress is sweet.

Dcookies tend to be soft luxuriant things full of fruit and choccie and nuts. Biscuits are hard and until relatively recently the most excitement was a layer of gunk.

Novocastrian Oct 18th 2015 10:11 pm

The last page or so of this thread really takes the biscuit. I think you're all cookie.