Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car to get

What car to get

Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to get

Originally Posted by dbd33
Heated seats isn't an option I would have ordered but I confess to being hooked. It may be that one can't see out of the windows for the first thirty miles but it's nice to be warm while driving by braille. I haven't tried heated wipers and don't imagine they'd address the problem of the blades being frozen to the shape of the windscreen at the parked position. The Beetle wipers cut two little grooves through the snow for the first half hour of operation and only soften to the right shape after that. Can you leave them heating overnight?
Place sheets of newspaper over your windscreen before you retire for the night. With luck, the next morning, you'll simply be able to lift the snow/frost-covered newspaper off and drive away with a crystal-clear windscreen. If not, well, at least you'll have something to read on the way to work.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, I'm a preener
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Place sheets of newspaper over your windscreen before you retire for the night. With luck, the next morning, you'll simply be able to lift the snow/frost-covered newspaper off and drive away with a crystal-clear windscreen. If not, well, at least you'll have something to read on the way to work.
That may work in a dry Northern AB or Prairies environment but try it here and all you'll end up with is newspaper frozen to your windscreen!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Underground parking works better
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:12 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That may work in a dry Northern AB or Prairies environment but try it here and all you'll end up with is newspaper frozen to your windscreen!
Best I ever found was a reel of pallet stretch wrap film, put on at night, rip it off in the morning,
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:19 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's why I said dbd33 would have something to read on his way to work!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:18 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

This car is currently for sale in TO:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ325215669

I think it may be worth taking a look at. To understand why you should check out the additional pics (well, number 7 anyway).
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

I think it may be worth taking a look at. To understand why you should check out the additional pics (well, number 7 anyway).
Ooh, you dog!! <She's a student of mine, recognize her anywhere I would>
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

Well, the ad does describe the vehicle as "fully loaded", I just had no idea that the Jag option list covered the kind of high maintenance luxury item....
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, the ad does describe the vehicle as "fully loaded", I just had no idea that the Jag option list covered the kind of high maintenance luxury item....
That's the deluxe airbags option.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:23 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the deluxe airbags option.
Rather than the standard Old Bag option that my husband drives......