Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car to get

What car to get

Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

busycouple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What car to get

Moving to Calgary next year after February and wanted recommendations on the cars we should try to get. Is it best to go with a SUV for safety? as we are not very confortable driving in the snow and want to make sure we are safe. Also what cars do you guys have?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to get

Honda Civic, with winter tires. No one really "needs" more than that for the basics, unless you are a farmer, have a family of 7, or are frequently going to tow stuff. That's probably why its been Canadas top seller for 12 years in a row.

The laws for physics are the same in Canada as elsewhere, a big heavy SUV is just more momentum to have to try to stop and steer, and AWD/ 4x4 may help get you going when the traction is poor, but that just means you are going faster when you lose control. AWD/ 4x4 does nothing to help you stop, that comes down to the friction from your tires. Make sure they are good ones.

Really Canada drives on just fine in the winter, snow clearance is good, and we get lots of practice. What would you drive in the UK?

Anyway, Im sure there will be lots of replies, there always are in these threads.

My two vehicles are a 2008 Honda Civic (comfy, fun to drive, uber reliable and good on gas) and a 2007 Subaru Legacy (Its a reliable wagon with a smallish engine, good for toting kids and their stuff around). Used to have an SUV (Jeep), but I am so over that.

When I arrived I went out in the fresh snow and found a big empty parking lot and learned about driving on snow covered ground till I was more comfortable with it, but the reality for me is mostly the roads are cleared by the time I get on them. The biggest, simplest thing to remember is to slow down.

There is a good wiki article on winter driving.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 24th 2011 at 3:50 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busycouple
Moving to Calgary next year after February and wanted recommendations on the cars we should try to get. Is it best to go with a SUV for safety? as we are not very confortable driving in the snow and want to make sure we are safe. Also what cars do you guys have?
A snow brush, good winter tires and a quality battery seem to be the best bets for winter safety. Not all SUV's are created equal. Many SUV's end up in the ditch with so many over confident drivers speeding along in a less then adequate vehicles.

Have a Volvo S60T5 with winter tires on is fab. Have a Jeep that has the Goodyear Ultra Grips and Quadratrac II will go most places but like every other car the brakes are exactly the same.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sound good. Im driving a BM 320 at the moment, but as its rear wheel drive dont think it would be good over there. Shame I cant take it with me.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:18 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Sound good. Im driving a BM 320 at the moment, but as its rear wheel drive dont think it would be good over there. Shame I cant take it with me.
Ah you are one of those.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The police drive round in crown vics... V8 lump up front, rear wheel drive. And Goodyear Ultragrips.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
The police drive round in crown vics... V8 lump up front, rear wheel drive. And Goodyear Ultragrips.
Didnt know that, thanks.

How much do a set of 4 good winter tyres cost?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt know that, thanks.

$800 or thereabouts.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Didnt know that, thanks.

About a grand give or take for a bimmer. depends on rim size, brand name, etc.

Get them on a 2nd set of steel rims, its a lot more convenient that way, and it saves your alloys from salt and kerb damage.

You can often get them used on the kijiji classifieds, but its a bit of a lottery.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
4x4 does nothing to help you stop, that comes down to the friction from your tires. Make sure they are good ones.

Really Canada drives on just fine in the winter, snow clearance is good, and we get lots of practice.
I can't believe nobody has mentioned block heaters yet in the must have items for winter driving in Canada.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I can't believe nobody has mentioned block heaters yet in the must have items for winter driving in Canada.
Its in the wiki, which I mentioned.

must have? no, not really.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Not a bad price for them as it is for safety. The american and asian car makes are a lot cheaper so I might just go with one of those while were out there.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:36 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

My car manages just fine on winter tires too. I drive a Toyota Sienna. It's a typical mom car. Plenty of seats for when driving the kids and their friends about (not to mention all the visiting family from the UK!) but also plenty of space for the dogs too. I've not had a problem driving in winter conditions with it although the majority of my driving is local. If we intend to drive to the back of beyond during the winter, we do usually take the truck instead!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:44 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Out here in farming country B.C the edges of the road are not really marked and the ditches are deep, so to avoid ending up in a "salmon habitat" I prefer a car with some height in the driving position for snowy weather (and just generally, to be honest).

In the UK I lived in a rural area and had a Honda HRV and would have been VERY happy with the same thing here but there don't seem to be so many of those here.
It was extremely reliable, a good size for transporting stuff but not too big for the small village roads in the UK. I think it would do just as well here in Canada.

However, in the absence of that, we have a Ford Explorer, which is a bit bigger but not too much.
The back seats fold down to give tonnes of room.
I have been grateful for it recently when moving larger items of furniture and with the back seats down I can also get both the bikes in the back comfortably with still lots of room for other stuff.

Unlike my HRV, the back seat legroom is also enough for a passenger to sit behind me while I am driving (because at 6ft tall, I have the seat quite far back).

It is also elective 4WD, so I can drive 2 wheel and more economically normally and engage the 4WD if I need it.
There are LOADS of them round this area so I assume that lots of people like them and find them good to drive here. Jeep Grand Cherokee are also common and a very similar size.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I managed perfectly well for twenty odd years driving whatever was the more interesting car I could afford at the time. Examples were a 1973 Olds 98 and a TR6. I didn't have snow tyres as the first I heard of them was on this board. Few cars have snow tyres in Ontario (<20% of those in a nearby car park when I checked last winter).

Eventually I moved to the back of beyond, serious snow country. At that time I had a Mustang, RWD, no snow tyres as noted. In view of the likely conditions in the country I thought it prudent to get a car with FWD. I did that and managed quite well though eventually I caved and did buy snow tyres. I would say that, if you're going to driving a lot on farm tracks and gravel roads, FWD and snow tyres are prudent. I'm glad I switched to an appropriate vehicle. If you're mainly driving around town then anything will do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.