Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car to get

What car to get

Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to get

Originally Posted by busycouple
Im about 6'3 and a bit. I dont really want a mini van lol so I will stick to cars.
My buddy is 6'6". He drives a small Honda Insight hybrid in his car pool with grown ups behind him...

I suspect its not the most popular spot to get though.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 26th 2011 at 3:36 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

carolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nice

We moved to Calgary a year ago and went through the same thought process...OH was pregnant, we have a second young child, new to winter driving conditions etc and an SUV was what we set our sights on.

We ended up with an Acura MDX (which I think is a Honda basically) because it was the one the OH preferred. It met all our requirements:
1. Seems a popular car so potentially good resell
2. Has a 3rd row of seats (we thought this would be good to fit us and visitors in one car)
3. Others I spoke to who own one had good things to say
4. It is an SUV and we figured it would fare better in a fender bender than a regular car
We put winter tyres on before the first snow so I couldn't comment on whether its handling is any better, although a cradle relative who has driven on all seasons (in his coupe) for years tried winter tyres for the first time and said there was a remarkable difference.

Our fuel economy is around 12l/100km. Most engine sizes of SUV's I have seen are over 3l - the MDX is 3.6 or 3.7 (the Cherokee can come in a 5.6l), I think the fact the engines are generally larger may have something to do with the altitude?

The downside:
1. I like the MDX but it is a bit more expensive than other similar SUV's. If I had to start again I would probably have opted for a Hyundai (Santa Fe or Vera Cruz). To me they do the same and are cheaper.
2. The 3rd row of seats is a joke, you lose all your boot space when they are up, so really apart from being able to pile everyone in to go for a short trip with no luggage it is not that practical. There is no legroom in the 3rd row so only a child could possibly be comfortable. If you are looking for this extra space for the (possibly) odd time you have visitors I would go for a people carrier (Dodge Caravan, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey etc) which are very popular on the roads. Mazda also make a nice looking SUV (CX-7 and CX-9), the CX-9's third row of seats can be adjusted to give more space but you still have the boot space issue.
3. There are a lot of regular cars on the road, and as previous posters have mentioned the road clearance is good (apart from in the actual communities where it can be a bit hit and miss) so from a price, fuel consumption point of view a sedan will be our 2nd car when we get round to buying one.

Other than the MDX we considered the following SUV's:
Honda Pilot, Hyundai (as above), Kia Sorrento, Jeep Cherokee (I like the look of the new one, but pricy. It can alternate between 8 and 6 cylinders for better fuel economy, and has some funky offroad gadgets which would probably never get used). Mazda (as above), Ford (Edge/Escape)...basically each manufacturer has one.
I think there is little difference between all the crossover SUV's so it probably boils down to what you like the look of and its price...I imagine those that really know their stuff would probably stay clear of all these types of cars.

At the end of the day we would probably buy an SUV again as a primary car, as it does give some extra luggage capacity (2 prams and shopping quickly fill up the space), you have a sense of extra safety, the extra height is good too. There is also the potential towing capacity (for a small trailer/camper etc) which is also something we are considering when the kids get older.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 5:51 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolyn_vdv
Our fuel economy is around 12l/100km. Most engine sizes of SUV's I have seen are over 3l - the MDX is 3.6 or 3.7 (the Cherokee can come in a 5.6l), I think the fact the engines are generally larger may have something to do with the altitude?
Er, no. North America goes all the way down to sea level, especially at the edges, and they have the same engines.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its simply the "Aint no replacement for displacement" mentality.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

carolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Er, no. North America goes all the way down to sea level, especially at the edges, and they have the same engines.
Really, gosh I didn't know that. I thought Canada was all at +1000m above sea level. Just like we all live in igloo's

Okay, the engine size thing may be a misunderstanding on my part, but octane levels in petrol change from sea level to altitude...
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolyn_vdv
Really, gosh I didn't know that. I thought Canada was all at +1000m above sea level. Just like we all live in igloo's

Okay, the engine size thing may be a misunderstanding on my part, but octane levels in petrol change from sea level to altitude...
No they don't.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busycouple
Im about 6'3 and a bit. I dont really want a mini van lol so I will stick to cars.
My husband is 6'5". The worst things for space behind him when he's driving were SUVs.

You can never really tell until you sit in it. We had a Nissan Altima when we first arrived (sedan). It was massive inside.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

No they don't.
Octane ratings for premium, regular, super etc do change, they sell lower octane ratings at higher altitude locations. Something to do with compensating for the reduced amount of oxygen and relative compression ratings at altitude to prevent pinging or something.

Its something turbo car owners whine about as they get reduced HP from their "premium" fueled cars, premium at altitude is a couple of octane points lower than premium in say Ontario.

Not that that really has anything to do with picking a car...
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:00 pm
Lowering the tone

I know that the same fuel perfoms less efficiently at altitude, but as you say, that's to do with the air.

North American large engine sizes are down to preference, and a cultural misunderstanding that bigger = better.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I know that the same fuel perfoms less efficiently at altitude, but as you say, that's to do with the air.

North American large engine sizes are down to preference, and a cultural misunderstanding that bigger = better.
From what I read they reduce the octane ratings at the pumps at altitude too to prevent knocking, so its a double whammy. Maybe its just the US mountain states?

Last edited by iaink; Oct 26th 2011 at 7:10 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all

This is my favourite site for car research:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...rankings/cars/

It's an aggregate of many journalist reviews, which tends to minimize the individual bias of a single journalist. If they all agree that it's good, its probably worth looking at. It also takes into account safety ratings.

It's also a handy way of seeing all the competition in a specific category.

Last edited by Secam; Oct 26th 2011 at 7:15 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Secam
This is my favourite site for car research:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/

It's an aggregate of many journalist reviews, which tends to minimize the individual bias of a single journalist. If they all agree that it's good, its probably worth looking at.

It's also a handy way of seeing all the competition in a specific category.
Except that seems to be US market vehicles.

For canada specific info I like this, although the pricing on the older used car reviews does not keep "up to date" as far as I can see.
http://www.autos.ca/
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:17 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by iaink
From what I read they reduce the octane ratings at the pumps at altitude too to prevent knocking, so its a double whammy. Maybe its just the US mountain states?
How? What? The fuel is as delivered from the refinery. It can't be "reduced" at the pump?

Although (for example) 91 RON fuel might, at altitude, only perform to the equivalant of 87 RON due to the thinner air/reduced compression.

I don't know if refinery-produced 91 RON fuel would actually be labelled as 87 RON fuel at altitude. If so, I stand corrected.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

How? What? The fuel is as delivered from the refinery. It can't be "reduced" at the pump?

Although (for example) 91 RON fuel might, at altitude, only perform to the equivalant of 87 RON due to the thinner air/reduced compression.

I don't know if refinery-produced 91 RON fuel would actually be labelled as 87 RON fuel at altitude. If so, I stand corrected.
No, you arent getting it, I guess I didnt phrase it very well. Regular on the coast is 87, but in Colorado its 85. Super on the coast is 93, but in Colorado its 91 etc. WRX owners moan that they cant get super premium 94octane in the mountains, its different, lower octane fuel delivered at the pumps.

Maybe this is US only, I dont know, but that's how its reported to be there, the gas companies sell reduced octane ratings to prevent pinging in part due to the lower oxygen content and in part due to the effect of the reduced air pressures at altitude altering the effective compression ratios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_...nal_variations
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/high-a...de-octane.html

Last edited by iaink; Oct 26th 2011 at 7:32 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:31 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by iaink
No, you arent getting it, I guess I didnt phrase it very well. Regular on the coast is 87, but in Colorada its 85. Super on the coast is 93, but in Colorada its 91 etc. WRX owners moan that they cant get super premium 94octane in the mountains, its different, lower octane fuel delivered at the pumps.

Maybe this is US only, I dont know, but that's how its reported to be there, the gas companies sell reduced octane ratings to prevent pinging in part due to the lower oxygen content and in part due to the effect of the reduced air pressures at altitude altering the effective compression ratios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_...nal_variations
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/high-a...de-octane.html
Understood. Sounds like a bigger engine is the answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.