Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car to get

What car to get

Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:27 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to get

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
OH has just picked up some studded tyres for my '94 BMW 318i convertible off kijiji for a whole $80, but then he knows what he's looking for.
With due respect to your OH, buying used tires isn't really rocket science. I thorough inspection by the knowledgeable amateur works as well. I picked up a set of winter tires for my Suzuki SUV last year for $120. They'll be good for another winter at least.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
With due respect to your OH, buying used tires isn't really rocket science. I thorough inspection by the knowledgeable amateur works as well. I picked up a set of winter tires for my Suzuki SUV last year for $120. They'll be good for another winter at least.
Yep I know that, but lots of people will advertise tyres, not knowing what they are advertising - we have looked at tyres advertised as part worn only to find half the tread missing across the tyre, we have looked at cracked tyres, we have looked at tyres advertised as completely the wrong size, we have looked at odd sets of tyres, so for someone that knows nothing about cars apart from how to drive them, it could be a bit tricky, I for instance would have little idea whether a tyre is good or not and half the people that buy tyres off us are in the same boat. You can sometimes get away with slightly different sized tyres too, dunno how that works either Well I do but I can't put it into explainable words.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You can sometimes get away with slightly different sized tyres too, dunno how that works either Well I do but I can't put it into explainable words.
You put the bigger ones on the wheels you'll be using for the outside of the turns.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:55 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You put the bigger ones on the wheels you'll be using for the outside of the turns.
But you can go bigger all round with wheels and change the tyres too and you can have taller or wider as well.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You can sometimes get away with slightly different sized tyres too, dunno how that works either Well I do but I can't put it into explainable words.
You mean like swapping expensive 17 or 18" wheels with low profile tires for much cheaper 15 or 16s with deeper rubber sections?

Its explained in the wiki. As long as the rolling radius is the same and it clears the brakes its all good. As you know, I am the cheapest man alive*, so my winter rims are an inch smaller that the summer ones, and the tires 10pts larger. 205/45 R17 becomes 195/55 R16 etc. This saves several hundred bucks on new winter rubber.

*outside of New Brunswick

Last edited by iaink; Oct 25th 2011 at 2:12 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You mean like swapping expensive 17 or 18" wheels with low profile tires for much cheaper 15 or 16s with deeper rubber sections?

Its explained in the wiki. As long as the rolling radius is the same and it clears the brakes its all good. As you know, I am the cheapest man alive*, so my winter rims are an inch smaller that the summer ones, and the tires 10pts larger. 205/45 R17 becomes 195/55 R16 etc. This saves several hundred bucks on new winter rubber.

*outside of New Brunswick
Mine are the same, inch smaller than the summer ones 18" down to 17".

And I'm not the cheap one don'tcha know.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:46 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

My XL7 takes some obscure 235/65/16 tire size which was difficult to find in used snow tires. So I went with 225/70's which are used on Jeeps and Ford Escapes so much more readily found. Fit OK, a little taller, actually looks better on the vehicle.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:48 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon876
You also need to watch out for the driver immediately in front of the car behind you AND the driver immediately behind the car in front.
Him... I know him well, he's paranoid when driving in the winter, he's already changed his summer route to the bad weather route to work to avoid the mob
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:50 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Maybe like a Nissan Juke or something.
Fugly
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

busycouple is an unknown quantity at this point

any recommendations on any good mpg SUV's then?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busycouple
any recommendations on any good mpg SUV's then?
Suzuki Samuari?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Not really my ideal SUV but thanks, know of any more?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Thanks for the comments guys. I was thinking of getting a SUV before but now I think I will strongly consider a standard car. The low mpg's that are got with SUV's means there wont be much of a saving on fuel costs, and I will probably spend as much as I do back home.

Unless someone knows of dood priced version that gives decent mpg. Maybe like a Nissan Juke or something.
We picked up a 2007 Dodge Caliber which is AWD, its fuel economy is awesome, we average 7.8l/100km. We are picking up snow tyres and rims this weekend.
its a very nice car with plenty of room in it.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by heading-west
We picked up a 2007 Dodge Caliber which is AWD, its fuel economy is awesome, we average 7.8l/100km. We are picking up snow tyres and rims this weekend.
its a very nice car with plenty of room in it.
Looks good, what engine have you got and is it a auto or manual? And is it an SUV as it looks quite tall from the pictures.

Last edited by busycouple; Oct 26th 2011 at 11:25 am.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Looks good, what engine have you got and is it a auto or manual?
its automatic 2.4L. its not a racing engine but who wants to race around the country side in Canada anyway?
[reminds me of a joke about 'tear down dotted line']

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.