Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car to get

What car to get

Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

carolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nice
Default Re: What car to get

Originally Posted by iaink
From what I read they reduce the octane ratings at the pumps at altitude too to prevent knocking, so its a double whammy. Maybe its just the US mountain states?
I wish this was the case. I was using the regular fuel for our car, after about 6 months the knocking started thought it was the exhaust or something and took it in to the dealer. They said use the premium gas from a reputable gas station (not Safeway/Co-op which I had been using). I changed at 10c more a litre and after a brief respite the problem is worse than ever. I think the gas stations are mixing their blends
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Novo has an estate car. At least, the Elantra Touring looks like an estate car to the naked eye. I wouldn't be seen dead in one but my vehicle choices are not much influenced by practicality. Few peoples' are or we'd all be snoring along in Fusions, Camrys and Civics.
I suppose you could describe it as an estate car, here of course it's referred to as a 5-door hatchback. Same thing I would say. It's a 2.5 l engine and I've been getting 7.0l/100 km.

And as to your not being seen dead in it, firstly fine with me and secondly, a bit rich given your current choice of wheels.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolyn_vdv
I wish this was the case. I was using the regular fuel for our car, after about 6 months the knocking started thought it was the exhaust or something and took it in to the dealer. They said use the premium gas from a reputable gas station (not Safeway/Co-op which I had been using). I changed at 10c more a litre and after a brief respite the problem is worse than ever. I think the gas stations are mixing their blends
Seems unrelated to me. The general gist is that a "premium only" vehicle can get away with using a lower octane level at altitude, so if there was a pinging/knocking issue then a lower octane would be one potential solution.

If the dealer is saying use higher octane is that because it should be on premium gas anyway and it wasnt? Modern engine management systems can adapt very quickly to variations in octane, but if its not designed to run on regular in the first place that would maybe explain.

The only difference really in the non name brand gasoline is the detergent mix, in fact often the different companies take fuel from the same depot before adding their proprietary blend of additives. Its maybe possible that cheap gas may need injectors etc cleaned more often, but in terms of octane etc it will be the same base fuel as the premium brands. I can only recall putting something other than "crappy tire" gas in my Civic once since I got it new in 2008, so if it sludges up I will know who to blame.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 26th 2011 at 8:07 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:59 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, we have a Dodge Journey which we love. It's comfy, quiet and roomy. It has the fold down seats 6 and 7 in the back. They're useful when people visit. It's true that when they're "up" the boot is pretty small - but then it's fine for day trips with the rellies.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:20 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

No, you arent getting it, I guess I didnt phrase it very well. Regular on the coast is 87, but in Colorado its 85. Super on the coast is 93, but in Colorado its 91 etc. WRX owners moan that they cant get super premium 94octane in the mountains, its different, lower octane fuel delivered at the pumps.

Maybe this is US only, I dont know, but that's how its reported to be there, the gas companies sell reduced octane ratings to prevent pinging in part due to the lower oxygen content and in part due to the effect of the reduced air pressures at altitude altering the effective compression ratios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_...nal_variations
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/high-a...de-octane.html
It might have something to do with oxygen content per unit volume of air at amospheric pressure, but it can't have anything to do with compression ratios. It's a ratio, innit: you're compressing the same volume by the same amount (so for a 4-cylinder, 2litre engine with a 10:1 compression ratio, every compression stroke takes 500cc of fuel/air mix and compresses it to 50cc). That 500cc of fuel/air mix will be a richer mix at high altitude (same amount of fuel, less oxygen), which would explain why you might want a lower octane fuel; in old-fashioned engines you'd just wind the mixture screw on the carb back a bit and carry on.

edit - just noticed your wikipedia link. The fount of all Internet knowledge is right, of course - there's a difference in absolute compression because you're starting from a lower pressure; but that still doesn't alter the ratio. There's just fewer molecules per litre of air.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Oct 26th 2011 at 10:27 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It might have something to do with oxygen content per unit volume of air at amospheric pressure, but it can't have anything to do with compression ratios. It's a ratio, innit: you're compressing the same volume by the same amount (so for a 4-cylinder, 2litre engine with a 10:1 compression ratio, every compression stroke takes 500cc of fuel/air mix and compresses it to 50cc). That 500cc of fuel/air mix will be a richer mix at high altitude (same amount of fuel, less oxygen), which would explain why you might want a lower octane fuel; in old-fashioned engines you'd just wind the mixture screw on the carb back a bit and carry on.

edit - just noticed your wikipedia link. The fount of all Internet knowledge is right, of course - there's a difference in absolute compression because you're starting from a lower pressure; but that still doesn't alter the ratio. There's just fewer molecules per litre of air.
Just to put some numbers into this game, the scale height of the atmosphere (the average interval over which pressure drops from surface pressure to 1/e of that value) is 7.64 km.

So, we can deduce the following table:

Altitude. Percent pressure reduction.

1 km 12%
2 km 22%
3 km 31%

I think that's high enough for most purposes.

Of course the same percent reductions apply to the absolute O2 concentrations.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a completely different attitude to car choice.

I value drive quality over economy.

So yes, I will be paying over the odds for gas, insurance and parts, but I feel it's justified when you're on the road.

I have no other vice's, so cars are my guilty pleasure, lol.

I should mention that I do all the work on my cars, so I can buy cheap parts on the net and not have to fork out hundreds every time I need a spark plug ;-)

When we move to Canada, I plan on having, for Ailsa, something small and sporty, or maybe an Impreza WRX, and for me, I will probably have a crew-cap pick-up, and some sort of project car on the go.

I have a bmw 740i sport at the moment, so I'm getting used to the low mpg figures, lol. Worth it for the heated seats alone

Wait and see, we'll end up having a honda Civic 1.4 or something between us

Hey, I'm still at the dreaming stage
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Worth it for the heated seats alone

My car is so equipped and I don't have to drive everywhere at 15mph preening.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm, what does preening mean?

And you missed my point, I don't drive at 15mph, I have 300 horses and I'm not afraid to use them. How much do you spend on beer?

I bet I spend less on petrol than the average bloke spends on memory loss alcohol. (I don't drink at all by the way, and stopped smoking three years ago.

I'm positively well off, lol.

My seats by the way, show us yours

Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm, what does preening mean?
It was a reference to the fact that BMW, like Buick and grey Toyota, is not a vehicle to choose to line up behind at the lights. The driver will dither, admiring his upholstery, rather than getting out of the way.

And you missed my point, I don't drive at 15mph, I have 300 horses and I'm not afraid to use them. How much do you spend on beer?
I've no idea how much I spend on beer (nor cheese or eggs). I attach a picture of one of my equines and wonder how one would cope with administering, and paying for, the farrier(s) for 300 of them.

I bet I spend less on petrol than the average bloke spends on memory loss alcohol. (I don't drink at all by the way, and stopped smoking three years ago.

I'm positively well off, lol.

My seats by the way, show us yours

http://www.carartz.com/other/740/11.jpg
I've never deliberately photographed my car seats (actually, no soft furnishings ever). I wonder if you might be better off with a hobby, going down the pub, for example.
Attached Thumbnails What car to get-donk8.jpg  
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My car is so equipped and I don't have to drive everywhere at 15mph preening.
Mine too. Heated seat are rapidly become the norm for canadian spec vehicles. the heated wipers on the sube are good too.

The reason I want 40mpg isnt the economy, its the environment. I actually give a shit.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 27th 2011 at 1:02 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Mine too. Heated seat are rapidly become the norm for canadian spec vehicles. the heated wipers on the sube are good too.

The reason I want 40mph isnt the economy, its the environment. I actually give a shit.
Heated seats isn't an option I would have ordered but I confess to being hooked. It may be that one can't see out of the windows for the first thirty miles but it's nice to be warm while driving by braille. I haven't tried heated wipers and don't imagine they'd address the problem of the blades being frozen to the shape of the windscreen at the parked position. The Beetle wipers cut two little grooves through the snow for the first half hour of operation and only soften to the right shape after that. Can you leave them heating overnight?

I assume that should be 40mpg, btw, even BMWs go at 40mph.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I haven't tried heated wipers and don't imagine they'd address the problem of the blades being frozen to the shape of the windscreen at the parked position.
Imagine again
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Imagine again
Well then that seems like the sort of thing a man of sixty some years might like for Christmas.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Well then that seems like the sort of thing a man of sixty some years might like for Christmas.
I imagine mail ordering a vehicle presents certain practical difficulties, and are Irish spec vehicles likely to have heated wipers anyway.

Or were you thinking of someone else... Springless blade type winter wipers might be more practical...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.