Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car to get

What car to get

Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to get

Originally Posted by dbd33
Last time we had this argument I went and counted not only in the car park but at the dump. What people drive to a dump in a part of the country rural enough not to have dustmen seems to me to be a good indictation of what's actual needed. Out there no one has snow tyres, they're as urban a phenomenon as SUVs.

I quite liked them because I didn't have to roll that stop sign but they're a long way done my list of essentials. I wouldn't, for example, switch to domestic beer to afford them.
The thing about truly rural driving is that you've usually got room to start or slow down or make changes in direction, without too many other vehicles on the road.

City driving means having to brake for traffic lights and morons every 50 yards - that's much easier to do with "good winter boots", as I believe the jargon goes.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

We have just changed to an SUV for safety, not too sure what the snow is like over in Calgary but going on the snow fall we had here in Ontario last year personally I wanted a bigger car. You can pick up a good bargain if you are good at haggling Hope this helps
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keznjj
We have just changed to an SUV for safety, not too sure what the snow is like over in Calgary but going on the snow fall we had here in Ontario last year personally I wanted a bigger car. You can pick up a good bargain if you are good at haggling Hope this helps
What did you have and what is safer about the new one?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary gets less snow on average than almost everywhere in Ontario...including Toronto...but it can get colder temps but also warmer temps in the winter (chinooks). In other words the winter in Calgary has more variation and more sunshine than an Ontario winter.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:13 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

We have just changed to an SUV for safety,
I changed from an SUV Ford escapewith 4x4 to a Ford Focus with winter tires after about three years driving here, stops much quicker, handles on snow and ice much better, great for the comute, and we keep the SUV for the forays to the ski hill and out to the provincal parks for the winter hikes where deep snow might be a real issue..

My only concern in the focus in the winter is being hit up the rear by a truck or SUV trying to use its 4x4 but with all seasons on!!!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
No, the rubber is the critical factor, everything else is entirely dependent on having grip. My Civic has ABS, but no traction or ESP, and to be honest ABS probably makes stopping in snow worse as it cuts in before the tread has cut through the snow, but at least I can steer while its doing it. If you need ESP, then simply put you are an idiot and you are driving way too fast for the conditions.

Ice and snow are not the only enemy, even on dry tarmac, when its -20 regular rubber is rock hard and wont grip worth a damn, and that wont be unusual in a Calgary winter.
Agreed.

We drive a 2006 VW Jetta TDi (Manual transmission). We swap our alloys for winter tyres and steel rims and drive around happily in London, Ontario all winter. Even when Mother nature deposits 1.5 metres of snow in 36 hours, we still manage to get around.

What makes us smile is the fact that the cold stuff arrives every year without fail and yet people still drive as if its the first time they have ever seen snow!
Intersection T-bones and hapless drivers wondering why they cannot stop on a dime are a constant source of amusement.

Remember that speed IS a factor in every collision (accident implies that no-one is to blame - Hot Fuzz)

Last winter, the Ontario Provincial Police closed the 402 Highway, yet drivers moved the barriers (incidentally this also invalidates your car insurance) and then wondered why they got stuck for 24 hours in dangerously cold conditions - one poor soul died within metres of a house.

No matter how short the journey, make sure you have a winter kit in the trunk. Warm clothing, water, food, flashlight, light sticks, etc. See: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...terdrive.shtml

If you want to stay in control, invest in snow tyres, a manual transmission and give yourself thinking and stopping time.

Oh, and watch out for the buggers who signal after they make the turn - oh, how we laugh!!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon876

Last winter, the Ontario Provincial Police closed the 402 Highway, yet drivers moved the barriers (incidentally this also invalidates your car insurance) and then wondered why they got stuck for 24 hours in dangerously cold conditions - one poor soul died within metres of a house.
I remember that early winter storm last year...but wasn't aware that people moved the barriers....its people like that who should be low priority when the rescue vehicles are searching for people.

Love your use of metric.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:31 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a set of winter tyres for the Jag. Should make all the difference when the supercharger kicks in
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I have a set of winter tyres for the Jag. Should make all the difference when the supercharger kicks in
Don't be silly. As soon as it gets damp/cold, the electrics will fail and it will sit on your drive. Or whereever it broke down. Lucas, prince of darkness and all that.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

... and don't forget to scrape the letterbox-sized viewing area on your windscreen...
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeUK
My only concern in the focus in the winter is being hit up the rear by a truck or SUV trying to use its 4x4 but with all seasons on!!!
You also need to watch out for the driver immediately in front of the car behind you AND the driver immediately behind the car in front.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:45 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Don't be silly. As soon as it gets damp/cold, the electrics will fail and it will sit on your drive. Or whereever it broke down. Lucas, prince of darkness and all that.
To its credit when it broke down last week it did so 50 feet from home I am actually in the process of trying to convince the OH that we should buy a rather nice X-type as a practical 4WD winter car. Her response involved John Prescott.....
Old Oct 25th 2011, 12:53 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

To its credit when it broke down last week it did so 50 feet from home I am actually in the process of trying to convince the OH that we should buy a rather nice X-type as a practical 4WD winter car. Her response involved John Prescott.....
Two jags. Like it. The X type was only 4wd because, being based on the Mondeo platform, it could only be FWD or 4wd. And of course, a FWD Jag just wouldn't do.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 3:44 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
About a grand give or take for a bimmer. depends on rim size, brand name, etc.

Get them on a 2nd set of steel rims, its a lot more convenient that way, and it saves your alloys from salt and kerb damage.

You can often get them used on the kijiji classifieds, but its a bit of a lottery.
OH has just picked up some studded tyres for my '94 BMW 318i convertible off kijiji for a whole $80, but then he knows what he's looking for.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

busycouple is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments guys. I was thinking of getting a SUV before but now I think I will strongly consider a standard car. The low mpg's that are got with SUV's means there wont be much of a saving on fuel costs, and I will probably spend as much as I do back home.

Unless someone knows of dood priced version that gives decent mpg. Maybe like a Nissan Juke or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.