Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island

Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island

Why would anyone from Victoria drive to Nanaimo to get the ferry to Vancouver?
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:18 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JonboyE
And there also at least 2 car ferries from Victoria to the US.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
And there also at least 2 car ferries from Victoria to the US.
To Port Angeles as I recall, which is a long way from Seattle. Then you have to take another ferry or you're in for a long drive. You can only go direct as a foot passenger.

Mmm, I just banged it into Google Maps, 83 miles, two hours plus, and that's from Port Angeles, you've got to get there first.

Sorry I was remembering the signs at the ferry in North Vancouver, you can go to the ferry terminal by Point Roberts but it's not a casual trip is it, that was the point I was making. It's an hour and a half and then you've got to plough through the traffic on Hwy 99 to get to Vancouver and that doesn't include actually getting on the ferry in the first place, so two and a half hours to travel less than 50 miles? Rather you than me. And that assumes the tunnel isn't closed because of an accident or rammed.

Last edited by Steve_; Aug 19th 2013 at 11:38 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:20 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
To Port Angeles as I recall, which is a long way from Seattle. Then you have to take another ferry or you're in for a long drive. You can only go direct as a foot passenger.

Mmm, I just banged it into Google Maps, 83 miles, two hours plus, and that's from Port Angeles, you've got to get there first.

Sorry I was remembering the signs at the ferry in North Vancouver, you can go to the ferry terminal by Point Roberts but it's not a casual trip is it, that was the point I was making. It's an hour and a half and then you've got to plough through the traffic on Hwy 99 to get to Vancouver and that doesn't include actually getting on the ferry in the first place, so two and a half hours to travel less than 50 miles? Rather you than me. And that assumes the tunnel isn't closed because of an accident or rammed.
the ferry from Sidney (Schwartz Bay on the Island) to the mainland (Tsawwassen) takes 1hr 35mins. Then the drive into Vancouver takes about 45 minutes.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:12 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
GB, 230,000 sq km, Alberta, 660,000 sq km, so more like a third.

There are tons of threads on here about Victoria, transportation is the main problem, getting up to Nanaimo with your car and then driving down from N Vancouver is a royal PITA and there is only a foot passenger ferry to Seattle. You can take a seaplane to Vancouver, great, but you can't fit your car on a seaplane.

So you're trapped there and the economy suffers as a result. Plus the traffic on Hwy 17 in Victoria is really bad at rush hour due to a lack of overpasses.
Trapped?? Economy suffers? Don't quite get that, but then I do live in the island.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
the ferry from Sidney (Schwartz Bay on the Island) to the mainland (Tsawwassen) takes 1hr 35mins. Then the drive into Vancouver takes about 45 minutes.
Go by plane, forget this boat stuff, CYXX to CYYJ - 20 minute flight.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
maybe.

another question is: are your relatives over 65? Do they need a warmer climate because they can't hack the cold anymore? Are they not wealthy enough to go to Florida in winter?

If they are, VI is the place for them!
Coming from someone who lives in Burnaby that's quite insulting. We just moved to the Island and can afford to live on the Island and spend winter in Florida if we chose to. In fact we have just spent a month in Florida when we decided to move to the Island and have not looked back since. Early days yet but what we have experienced is much better than living in the LM. Quite frankly I am glad I have got my family away from the LM as it seems to be going down hill fast.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Coming from someone who lives in Burnaby that's quite insulting. We just moved to the Island and can afford to live on the Island and spend winter in Florida if we chose to. In fact we have just spent a month in Florida when we decided to move to the Island and have not looked back since. Early days yet but what we have experienced is much better than living in the LM. Quite frankly I am glad I have got my family away from the LM as it seems to be going down hill fast.
Will you be changing your name to "getoutoftheLMquick"?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Will you be changing your name to "getoutoftheLMquick"?
You still around??? Anything ever positive to say? I would say seeing a neighbour gunned down on his drive and killed, horrendous traffic, ridiculous prices, thefts common and a crumbling infrastructure was a good reason to move on. The one good thing about being an immigrant is we are not tied to family. If we don't like something we vote with our feet and move. Its called progression and freedom of choice. You remind me of a child.

Last edited by getoutofbritainquick; Aug 20th 2013 at 12:46 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
The one good thing about being an immigrant is we are not tied to family. If we don't like something we vote with our feet and move. Its called progression and freedom of choice. You remind me of a child.
I do like to think I retain a child-like innocence while avoiding tantrum driven panic actions.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 2:29 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

getoutofbritain was living in Surrey, we shouldn't be so hard on him. I'm sure Victoria is a breath of fresh air after that. All those old people are pretty harmless, they can't do much to you even if they wanted to.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

starting to enjoy this thread!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shard
starting to enjoy this thread!

I agree; it takes a while for you guys to get warmed up.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

jeeze, talk about pressure.

Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
jeeze, talk about pressure.

You were on a roll, but we need quickie to come back and make some more sarky comments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.