Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island

Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:50 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island

Get out of britain,

You're incredibly irate about DBD's and my latest comments. How dare we put down Victoria etc. etc. You're frothing at the mouth and have plenty to say. don't hold back, yo.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
the ferry from Sidney (Schwartz Bay on the Island) to the mainland (Tsawwassen) takes 1hr 35mins. Then the drive into Vancouver takes about 45 minutes.
Isn't that what I said. You've got to get to the ferry first so two and a half hours.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Go by plane, forget this boat stuff, CYXX to CYYJ - 20 minute flight.
Yes but you can't fit your car onto a seaplane.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by james.mc
Trapped?? Economy suffers? Don't quite get that, but then I do live in the island.
The job market seems pretty dim there, I did have a look into it because of all the guff I kept hearing about companies in the US putting IT people there but it was mostly hot air. And then I kept meeting people from Victoria here who told me it was hot air.

Being able to buy fresh Roger's chocolates every day isn't helpful if you haven't got anything to buy them with.

Plus it's also a microcosm of Vancouver. I.e. people wedged in along Hwy 17 whereas on the mainland they're crammed into the Fraser Valley. I'm sure a lot of immigrants look at a map of BC and think the place is gigantic. I really was surprised just how bad the traffic was on Hwy 17.

Okay it's a retirement spot but if you're in the Okanagan you haven't got to take the ferry to get anywhere.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:30 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The job market seems pretty dim there, I did have a look into it because of all the guff I kept hearing about companies in the US putting IT people there but it was mostly hot air. And then I kept meeting people from Victoria here who told me it was hot air.

Being able to buy fresh Roger's chocolates every day isn't helpful if you haven't got anything to buy them with.

Plus it's also a microcosm of Vancouver. I.e. people wedged in along Hwy 17 whereas on the mainland they're crammed into the Fraser Valley. I'm sure a lot of immigrants look at a map of BC and think the place is gigantic. I really was surprised just how bad the traffic was on Hwy 17.

Okay it's a retirement spot but if you're in the Okanagan you haven't got to take the ferry to get anywhere.
I'm not retired. I live in East Sooke... hardly 'wedged in'.... I feel you have a limited outlook on Vancouver Island.

It's may be a no go area for you, due to your career choice, but 800,000 people can't all be 'trapped' in abject poverty on an island that could become Canada's 11th province.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
on an island that could become Canada's 11th province.
Is there talk of that...?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Get out of britain,

You're incredibly irate about DBD's and my latest comments. How dare we put down Victoria etc. etc. You're frothing at the mouth and have plenty to say. don't hold back, yo.
Hey, I haven't put down Victoria. Not yet anyway, I haven't been yet. I'm ok with Eastbourne, for a couple of days, so I should think Victoria will be alright.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shard
Is there talk of that...?

Only after 2 in the morning..
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin the cdn expat
Only after 2 in the morning..
Ah ok. I was thinking of what VI as an 11th province might be called, perhaps PPI - Prince Phillip Island to make a Canadian symmetry (demographically adjusted) with PEI.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok. I was thinking of what VI as an 11th province might be called, perhaps PPI - Prince Phillip Island to make a Canadian symmetry (demographically adjusted) with PEI.
Random trivia: Vancouver Island was originally a separate British colony from the mainland. It merged with British Columbia in 1866.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yes but you can't fit your car onto a seaplane.
Some you could, however I prefer landing on terra firma, so leave a car at the airport for when I get there. Then there are some places one lands where you could not use a car anyway, boat is the only useful form of transport.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:15 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Lychee
Random trivia: Vancouver Island was originally a separate British colony from the mainland. It merged with British Columbia in 1866.
That, I did not know. What was it called?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

That, I did not know. What was it called?
The colony of Vancouver Island:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_of_Vancouver_Island
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:17 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Lychee
A rather apt name.

Thanks.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
getoutofbritain was living in Surrey, we shouldn't be so hard on him. I'm sure Victoria is a breath of fresh air after that. All those old people are pretty harmless, they can't do much to you even if they wanted to.
I find your never ending comments about 'old people' in Victoria demeaning and insulting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.