British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Vancouver Island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/vancouver-island-806033/)

keznjj Aug 14th 2013 8:10 pm

Vancouver Island

Hi

I am asking for a family member, could some of you folk let me know about work, housing, general information about Vancouver Island.

Is it worth a move, good jobs anything you can offer would be most appreciated :)

Almost Canadian Aug 14th 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by keznjj (Post 10851067)
Hi

I am asking for a family member, could some of you folk let me know about work, housing, general information about Vancouver Island.

Is it worth a move, good jobs anything you can offer would be most appreciated :)

What type of work will they be looking for? What type of housing are they after? What do they believe makes a move worth doing?

ExKiwilass Aug 14th 2013 9:23 pm

Do they like tie-dye? Do they have dreads? Do they believe Wi-Fi in schools causes cancer, and plan to homeschool instead?

Former Lancastrian Aug 14th 2013 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10851151)
Do they like tie-dye? Do they have dreads? Do they believe Wi-Fi in schools causes cancer, and plan to homeschool instead?

Victoria has wi-fi :lol: Are we suggesting that Vancouver Island is full of hippies, artists, granola crunchers, mother earth lovers etc etc. Salt Spring Island I believe is very modern with stunning modern architecture and living on the edge residents.

ExKiwilass Aug 14th 2013 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10851160)
Victoria has wi-fi :lol: Are we suggesting that Vancouver Island is full of hippies, artists, granola crunchers, mother earth lovers etc etc. Salt Spring Island I believe is very modern with stunning modern architecture and living on the edge residents.

maybe.

another question is: are your relatives over 65? Do they need a warmer climate because they can't hack the cold anymore? Are they not wealthy enough to go to Florida in winter?

If they are, VI is the place for them!

Siouxie Aug 14th 2013 10:06 pm

First question to be asked is do they have PR or a way of obtaining PR or a TWP?

:)

ExKiwilass Aug 14th 2013 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 10851207)
First question to be asked is do they have PR or a way of obtaining PR or a TWP?

:)

oh you. you and your sensible posts.

Siouxie Aug 14th 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10851215)
oh you. you and your sensible posts.

Well there isn't much point in giving advice about Vancouver if they can't go and live there, is there?

Duh....

:p

Shard Aug 14th 2013 11:40 pm

:rofl:

Jackandvictor Aug 15th 2013 12:17 am

We live on Vancouver Island and have neither tie dye or dreads! Yet! Maybe we need to be here longer. Been to Salt Spring...now there's a place for studios, arty type people and dreads! You only pay to go onto the island...once you get there you may never leave! You need to slow down your life to a crawl....kinda missed those architecturally designed homes along the way!
I work with lots of Ontario born staff. They seem to like it here. :thumbup:

james.mc Aug 15th 2013 3:33 pm

I guess by the above, tongue in cheek questions, ExKiwilass is hinting that the island is full of hippies with dreadlocks with all the kids being homeschooled.

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10851187)
maybe.
another question is: are your relatives over 65? Do they need a warmer climate because they can't hack the cold anymore? Are they not wealthy enough to go to Florida in winter?
If they are, VI is the place for them!

But not exactly useful to the OP eh? Especially if they don't know the island and are looking for genuine information.

That's like someone asking about Vancouver and me suggesting it's full of people from HongKong and nicknamed Hongcouver for a good reason ;)
Which of course, as we well know, is just not true.

ExKiwilass Aug 15th 2013 3:41 pm

Do your relatives have no sense of humour and are they a bit sanctimonious?

james.mc Aug 15th 2013 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by keznjj (Post 10851067)
Hi

I'll start the ball rolling..... Maybe 'Rivingtonpike' will chime in :)

Vancouver Island is about the size of England. The south end of the island has climate similar to West England. This summer daytime temperatures have been ranging around 22-29 deg. During winter it rarely freezes and when it does, it doesn't stay that way for long.
Head north beyond the Malahat range and you will start experiencing colder winter weather but still warm summers.

Victoria is the Capital of BC and is a city well loved by it's residents. Talk to island residents about moving to the mainland and they'll probably look at you like you are mentally ill. ;) Why anyone would want to live on the mainland beats me.

There are a reasonable supply of jobs around but, as is often the case in Canada, not enough skilled people to fill them. Schools vary in quality as they do in any country but there are plenty of good schools around.

Here are some threads on the area....

Places to Live and good schools in or near Victoria.
Where to live on Vancouver Island
Help!! Vancouver Island
Moving to Langford, Vancouver Island

It might be better if your family member joins the forum and asks questions directly here in the Canada section of BE.

james.mc Aug 15th 2013 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 10852306)
Do your relatives have no sense of humour and are they a bit sanctimonious?

Why are you asking about my family?
Aw heck.... Funny you should ask. One is a Vicar that puts on shows as a comedian ;)

ExKiwilass Aug 15th 2013 4:39 pm

defeated. i am defeated by james mc.