Reload this Page >

UK Student Fees

UK Student Fees

Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

adgelong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Student Fees

Can anybody help.
We have lived in Canada for a number of years, but have to return to the UK due to unforeseen circumstances.
My daughter is due to graduate high school and will need to go to University in the UK.
She will still be 17 years old when we return.
Does anybody know any way around the rule that states we have to have been in the UK for 3 years for her to qualify as a home student and avoid the huge international student fees.
We were all born in the UK ans have UK passports. In addition, since I have lived in Canada, I have continued to pay UK income tax on a UK income that I receive.
Do any universities waive these rules at all ??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:23 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Student Fees

Originally Posted by adgelong
Can anybody help.
We have lived in Canada for a number of years, but have to return to the UK due to unforeseen circumstances.
My daughter is due to graduate high school and will need to go to University in the UK.
Does anybody know any way around the rule that states we have to have been in the UK for 3 years for her to qualify as a home student and avoid the huge international student fees.
We were all born in the UK ans have UK passports. In addition, since I have lived in Canada, I have continued to pay UK income tax on a UK income that I receive.
I am going through this process with my son currently. We live in the US and he wants to enroll in UK uni in the fall. As he has not been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to enrollment then he will have to pay international rates. There is a page about this in the wiki and wev'e got quite a few discussions about this in the Moving Back To The UK forum, so pop in that section as well.

Here are some recent discussions on this subject:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690093

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674660

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672934

Sue
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

adgelong is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sue,
Looks like it might be a little difficult, thanks though
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sue,
Looks like it might be a little difficult, thanks though
You're welcome. As we are going through the process ourselves I feel your pain
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody help.
This explains the rules.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/inf...p#tuition_fees

If you are able to characterise your absence as temporary that might allow you be considered ordinarily resident through the absence.

I used to work with someone whos daughter started Manchester University two years ago and told me they managed to do it on home fees in spite of living in Canada so there might be flexibility for individual universities to decide?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't see any way around the 3 year residency requirement. I looked into this myself recently as my daughter was thinking of going to uni in the UK later this year. She's a UK citizen, born in Canada but has lived in the US for most of her life. She has decided to go to uni in Canada instead. Canadian citizens are charged the lower domestic tuition fees regardless of where they went to high school. Unfortunately the UK does not work the same way. I'd be very interested to hear if you manage to find a way around the residency requirement. Good luck.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 25th 2011 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Canadian citizens are charged the lower domestic tuition fees regardless of where they went to high school.
Well, sort of, they can still be hit with out of province rates.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, sort of, they can still be hit with out of province rates.
I don't think we've encountered this although my daughter has only applied to universities in Ontario (where I believe we've only seen 2 types of rate - domestic and international). I know that Quebec students get even lower rates at Quebec universities. I'm not going to split hairs though - compared to here in the US, Canadian universities are a bargain.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

how would the university know that you were in canada for a bit?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:00 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by chanceUK
how would the university know that you were in canada for a bit?
The students previous schools would give it away. An applicant has to list the schools they attended prior to enrolling, and also what qualifications they had obtained.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
The students previous schools would give it away. An applicant has to list the schools they attended prior to enrolling, and also what qualifications they had obtained.
makes sense.