3-year residency rule

Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:29 am
Just Joined

nivlug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3-year residency rule

My son will have been in the UK for only 2 years prior to applying for a university place.

If we put down that we have been in the UK for 3 years, how carefully will the university actually check our information? Or better still, we could just say that we've been in the UK the whole time.

Do they run some kind of check on your passport or look into taxes paid?

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:44 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3-year residency rule

Are you all back living there or just your son? Has he just gone back for his education or is he "ordinarily resident?"

You might find this wiki page useful:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Gap year maybe?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Are you all back living there or just your son? Has he just gone back for his education or is he "ordinarily resident?"

You might find this wiki page useful:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule
Thanks for the link.

We are all living in the UK.

Do the universities really have the time and resources to check that everyone has been in the UK for more than three years? I would find it hard to believe that they check everyone's application with a fine tooth comb. If I say I've been there more than three years, surely they will accept that.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:10 am
Just Joined

We are all living in the UK. If I say that I have been in the UK for more than three years, will the university really have the time and resources to verify my information? I find it hard to believe they would check everyones application so carefully.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

His educational record will be a bit of a giveaway if he doesnt have GCSEs for example. I have heard from quite a few people now that the universities are waiving the 3 year thing if you can prove that you are back for good and not just for the education. Failing that, then a gap year would be the way to go I should think (and that's not a bad idea anyway)
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:10 am
Just Joined

In my experience the universities don't pay any attention to your GCSEs, simply your A Level results. Why would they need your GCSE results since they have no bearing on entry into university, it's all based on your post GCSE qualifications.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nivlug
In my experience the universities don't pay any attention to your GCSEs, simply your A Level results. Why would they need your GCSE results since they have no bearing on entry into university, it's all based on your post GCSE qualifications.
Try it and see, but as a university professional, I can't say I agree with you trying to cheat your way around the system.

Also, if you get caught, consider the possibility that you will probably lose any expectation of leniency down the road (e.g., after 2nd or 3rd year). You might consider negotiating with the university, maybe to pay international fees in Year 1 only.

I just fought a case for a stduent who had paid international fees for 6 years and if she hadn't done the right thing from Day 1, I expect she'd not have been given special dispensation. She now has Home Fees status for 4 years of postgrad studies.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
His educational record will be a bit of a giveaway if he doesnt have GCSEs for example. I have heard from quite a few people now that the universities are waiving the 3 year thing if you can prove that you are back for good and not just for the education. Failing that, then a gap year would be the way to go I should think (and that's not a bad idea anyway)
I'm not so sure this is the case. As far as I am aware there is no cap on the amount of international students a uni can enroll, but there is cap on the amount of students they enroll paying home rates. Therefore I'd imagine with the tight economy it would mean that universities will be looking toward International tuition to help bring some money into the system. Based on that, it makes sense to me that a university will be quite strict on checking that residency requirements are met. However maybe all uni's are not created equal and some may look at applications differently, it's hard to tell until one applies and knows for sure.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I'm not so sure this is the case. As far as I am aware there is no cap on the amount of international students a uni can enroll, but there is cap on the amount of students they enroll paying home rates. Therefore I'd imagine with the tight economy it would mean that universities will be looking toward International tuition to help bring some money into the system. Based on that, it makes sense to me that a university will be quite strict on checking that residency requirements are met. However maybe all uni's are not created equal and some may look at applications differently, it's hard to tell until one applies and knows for sure.
I suspect that the high status unis will be far more rigorous at investigating residence than perhaps the second tier unis. Most of the people who seem to have got around the residence rule that I have been in touch with, havent gone to Oxbridge

With respect to GCSEs - arent they required on the UCAS form these days? I thought they generally wanted all educational attainments, not just A levels. If they dont require A levels then that is a bonus for those who go back just to do A levels. I see from the UCAS site eligibility requirements, some subjects do demand prerequisite GCSEs. Not listing your GCSEs would be a dead giveaway that you havent been in the country for 3+years, so if you were trying to hide that fact, it wouldnt really work.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

I suspect that the high status unis will be far more rigorous at investigating residence than perhaps the second tier unis. Most of the people who seem to have got around the residence rule that I have been in touch with, havent gone to Oxbridge

With respect to GCSEs - arent they required on the UCAS form these days? I thought they generally wanted all educational attainments, not just A levels. If they dont require A levels then that is a bonus for those who go back just to do A levels. I see from the UCAS site eligibility requirements, some subjects do demand prerequisite GCSEs. Not listing your GCSEs would be a dead giveaway that you havent been in the country for 3+years, so if you were trying to hide that fact, it wouldnt really work.
I am with this one, my first born is getting to this stage and the courses he is looking at require x amount of UCAS points including A-levels in at least one Science subject and GCSE in English Lang and Maths at at least grade C. The points can be made up of both A and AS levels or BTECs.

Never having done the Uni thing myself its all a bit mind boggling.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I also think the financial situation at universities (which I have to tell you is already dire, and due to get a lot worse after tomorrow) will make them much more reluctant to take a drop in fees from £10k to £3k (or free in Scotland) by letting a potential "international" student have home fee status.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nivlug
Thanks for the link.

We are all living in the UK.

Do the universities really have the time and resources to check that everyone has been in the UK for more than three years? I would find it hard to believe that they check everyone's application with a fine tooth comb. If I say I've been there more than three years, surely they will accept that.
Universities have an office whose job it is to go through applications and check on residency status. You might get away with it, you might not. It depends on how observant everyone is. Your problem is that the application will go past many pairs of eyes before it is accepted/rejected - an admissions office, a fees team, admissions tutors, perhaps academic schools, etc., and in that journey the chances of someone noting a discrepancy with residency is high.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I also think the financial situation at universities (which I have to tell you is already dire, and due to get a lot worse after tomorrow) will make them much more reluctant to take a drop in fees from £10k to £3k (or free in Scotland) by letting a potential "international" student have home fee status.
500,000 public sector workers to get erased, according to some prat in government who let the figure get photographed by the press.

I imagine there's quite a bot of trouser-darkening going in at unis in the UK right now.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:32 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Seneca21
500,000 public sector workers to get erased, according to some prat in government who let the figure get photographed by the press.

I imagine there's quite a bot of trouser-darkening going in at unis in the UK right now.

Yes, we're all wearing Depends, just in case.

My university has actually pre-empted the looming cuts via huge-scale cuts over the past 2 years, including redundancies, early retirements and long-term postponement of their "asset register development" (I really don't understand why they don't just say "We're not going to build all those new buildings we promised").

Without giving too many clues, our academic staff numbers have gone down by almost two-thirds (mostly senior staff have been lost, so you can imagine we are now mostly younger, less experienced and with limited knowledge of the admin side), and we will shortly be moving to euphemistically-termed "temporary accomodation" for the next 5 years. That's not all of it, but I don't want to give too much away even though this is an "anonymous" community.

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 20th 2010 at 7:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.