Uk Licence

Old May 19th 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

vash2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Licence

I know many a thread has been posted on this topic,but I have a simple enquiry which I cannot find the answer to.
We are moving to Toronto fully in the next two weeks, I know i can excahnge my UK Licence for a Canadian one, but when I return to the Uk for Holidays etc.
How can I drive without a UK licence? wouldn't the DVLA have a record that I surrendered my Uk Licence?
Thanks
Old May 19th 2012, 10:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Licence

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+car+insurance http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758167 you should be aware that if you go to swap your Canadian licence for a UK one you will be issued an automatic licence unless you are able to prove that you have passed a test for a manual.. so keep your UK paper licence! Short answer is you can drive an automatic on your Ontario licence in the UK.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 19th 2012 at 10:31 am.
Old May 19th 2012, 12:51 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by siouxie
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+car+insurance http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758167 you should be aware that if you go to swap your Canadian licence for a UK one you will be issued an automatic licence unless you are able to prove that you have passed a test for a manual.. so keep your UK paper licence! Short answer is you can drive an automatic on your Ontario licence in the UK.

Hey Siouxie, I don't think that is the answer to the question the OP asked.

To OP, when your return to UK the hire car companies will recognize your Canadian licence and you can drive on that. If you want to drive a friend or family's car then they will have to inform their insurance company, some allow it at a cost and some don't. There is basically a reciprocal agreement which allows visitors to drive on their foreign licence for a set duration.
Old May 19th 2012, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Also, not related to the original question, but to the response - we had to surrender our paper licenses with the photocard to get our Canadian ones - keep photocopies and if you then return to the UK for any reason to live, they will reissue your license with all of the entitlements you had when you left. As per our own DVLA inquiry (DH lost his motorcycle entitlement when we moved to Canada, and I was also concerned about the automatic thing so we emailed and asked them).

As for driving on visits, yes rental car companies will accept a Canadian license, although might insist on a higher excess, and many insurers also do to drive family/friends cars.
Old May 19th 2012, 1:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
Hey Siouxie, I don't think that is the answer to the question the OP asked.

To OP, when your return to UK the hire car companies will recognize your Canadian licence and you can drive on that. If you want to drive a friend or family's car then they will have to inform their insurance company, some allow it at a cost and some don't. There is basically a reciprocal agreement which allows visitors to drive on their foreign licence for a set duration.
Actually, I think I did.

Originally Posted by siouxie
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+car+insurance **this refers to insurance**

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758167 you should be aware that if you go to swap your Canadian licence for a UK one you will be issued an automatic licence unless you are able to prove that you have passed a test for a manual.. so keep your UK paper licence!

Short answer is you can drive an automatic on your Ontario licence in the UK. **this directly answers the OP's question**

Old May 19th 2012, 2:00 pm
x 0 x

Your answer was more to do with swapping a Canadian licence to a UK one, not what was asked.

To clarify with a hirecar company (in my experience) they wont limit you to an automatic when you present a Canadian license.
Old May 19th 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

vash2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you all for the responses, no matter how varied,I took each one into account.Dashie did answer what I needed to know, as I was concerned about driving here without my UK licence, I ddn't know the canadian licence was recognised.
Someone had suggested that I request a replacement UK licence and swap one for the canadian licence and keep one for my return, but I figured, DVLA would have all their records anyway.
Thanks all
Old May 20th 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Saberek is an unknown quantity at this point

Wht about swap from UK to Canadian licence. How to prove my clean driving history in UK if they NOT accept NCB, are they accept clean Counter Part as a proof or I need some special letter/certificate from DVLA to get some Canadian Insurance discount ????
Old May 21st 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

julescg has a brilliant futurejulescg has a brilliant futurejulescg has a brilliant futurejulescg has a brilliant futurejulescg has a brilliant futurejulescg has a brilliant future

Someone suggested to me that I ask the DVLA for a duplicate (I moved house so updated my license and 'forgot' to send my old one back). I arrived in NS a couple of weeks ago and took my old license and swapped it for a NS license! When I return to the UK I'll still have a UK license!
Old May 21st 2012, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julescg
Someone suggested to me that I ask the DVLA for a duplicate (I moved house so updated my license and 'forgot' to send my old one back). I arrived in NS a couple of weeks ago and took my old license and swapped it for a NS license! When I return to the UK I'll still have a UK license!
But a) you dont need it, and b) you're technically breaking the law.

Sorry, I just dont *get* this weird compulsion that some seem to have to keep their UK license.
Old May 22nd 2012, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

I think some see driver's licences like citizenship .... where you don't really give up your British Citizenship when you come to Canada, simply that you become dual.

At some point I will return to Scotland for a period of time, so wonder how this situation works for me, as I left in 2002 with the old paper licence format ... so although carrying a valid Canadian Driver's Licence, would I have to apply for the new card/photo licence, or would my old paper licence still remain valid (to some degree as a visitor back in Scotland)

Clear as mud eh?

All the best.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:53 am
x 0 x

Originally Posted by Saberek
Wht about swap from UK to Canadian licence. How to prove my clean driving history in UK if they NOT accept NCB, are they accept clean Counter Part as a proof or I need some special letter/certificate from DVLA to get some Canadian Insurance discount ????
For Canadian insurances, you generally need two things. One is driver abstract, cost £5 from DVLA and secondly a specially worded letter from UK insurance company.

Dont be surprised if not all Canadian insurance companies accept UK NCB.
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:49 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

My BC licence doesn't differentiate between manual and automatic transmission anywhere on it. I learnt in a manual car in the UK and so had a full manual licence. I am still entitled to drive a manual car in the UK if I return.
Old May 25th 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

julie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nicejulie2 is just really nice

I exchanged my uk license for canadian one yesterday. The lady who processed my paperwork said they retain my uk license there and anytime I plan to go back to uk I can just pop in and exchange it back.

Is it legal to drive on a uk license in uk if you are not a resident there? other forums on this website are suggesting it isn't and if you get into an accident then your insurance may not cover you. Does anyone know?
Old May 25th 2012, 12:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julie2
Is it legal to drive on a uk license in uk if you are not a resident there? other forums on this website are suggesting it isn't and if you get into an accident then your insurance may not cover you. Does anyone know?
There is also a fine of £1000 if you are caught with a licence with an out of date address on as well. But you can drive on your Canadian licence in the UK no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.