Uk Licence

Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Licence

Originally Posted by julie2
Is it legal to drive on a uk license in uk if you are not a resident there? other forums on this website are suggesting it isn't and if you get into an accident then your insurance may not cover you. Does anyone know?
You're not resident there, so prima facie you are misrepresenting yourself which is illegal but moreover really stupid because if you have paperwork only a resident can get, then HMRC may well consider you resident for tax purposes so you should ditch everything like that, licence, NHS card, bus pass, library card, the lot. Scare yourself by reading this: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr73/nr73-12e.pdf for example.

Moreover in BC and Alberta (and possibly some other provinces, but not Ontario, unless it is a US licence, or Saskatchewan) it is illegal to hold a licence from another jurisdiction simultaneously, so you are legally obliged to surrender your foreign licence.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:02 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone want or need 2 licences?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Duffer500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I arrived in Ontario last week.
I'm on a 1 year open work permit.

Can any one please advise me on how the driving license rules...

I've heard I have 3 months on my UK license and have to sit a written Canadian test to be granted a license at which point I must "surrender" my UK one?

Which seems strange since I've not got residency here and thus still a British Citizen.

Any advice appreciated.

thank you.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duffer500
Hi there,

I've heard I have 3 months on my UK license and have to sit a written Canadian test to be granted a license at which point I must "surrender" my UK one?

Which seems strange since I've not got residency here and thus still a British Citizen.

Any advice appreciated.

thank you.
Even if you were a Canadian resident or citizen...it would not change the fact that you are a British citizen.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duffer500
Hi there,

Any advice appreciated.

thank you.
You will need to exchange your UK Licence within 60 days of residing in Ontario. If you are on an IEC you are a resident - you hold an open work permit.

As to having to take tests, that really depends on how long you held your full licence (provisional is not counted) in the UK. If it was for less than 2 years then yes, you are going to have to sit tests and enter the graduated driving program.

If you have held it for more than 2 years then you can do an exchange after taking an eye examination.

The Knowledge Book is available online: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/ which you might find useful to know the 'rules of the road' in Canada.

You can read more about how to exchange your licence here: http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...rivers-licence

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 19th 2013 at 3:55 am.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Duffer500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah that's great thank you.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:09 am
Just Joined

steebie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question, I have a valid UK driver's license, however i failed to swap it for an Alberta license when i arrived, my visa has now expired and i am on imply status while i apply for permanent residency. Is there anyway i can get a license that allows me to drive legally? I was told by CAA that i can drive only for 1 year on an international license, it has been about 17 months. Is an international license different from my UK license? Am i able to apply for one now without a valid work permit for Canada...... Help!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steebie
I have a question, I have a valid UK driver's license, however i failed to swap it for an Alberta license when i arrived, my visa has now expired and i am on imply status while i apply for permanent residency. Is there anyway i can get a license that allows me to drive legally? I was told by CAA that i can drive only for 1 year on an international license, it has been about 17 months. Is an international license different from my UK license? Am i able to apply for one now without a valid work permit for Canada...... Help!
http://www.servicealberta.ca/1741.cfm

1) If you are visiting Alberta from outside the country, you must have your valid home jurisdiction drivers licence and an International Drivers Permit to drive on Alberta roads. You may drive in Alberta up to 1 year.

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1305.cfm

2) Proof of residency - In order to obtain an Alberta driver’s licence or identification card, you must provide proof that you are lawfully entitled to reside in Canada (i.e. Canadian birth certificate, Permanent Resident Card, Citizenship Card, Canadian Passport) and proof that you are an Alberta resident (i.e. utility bills or other statements mailed to your Alberta address).

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

3) Exchange foreign licence: Persons originating from countries that have signed a Reciprocal Licensing Agreement with Alberta can exchange their out-of-country driver’s licence for an Alberta driver's licence if they are lawfully entitled to be in Canada and have taken up residence in Alberta.

The driver must present proof of legal presence and residency in Alberta by providing federal travel authorization documents such as employment authorization and record of landing.

It is illegal in Alberta to hold any other driver’s licence and an Alberta driver’s licence at the same time.

Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Hydraman is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife was so obsessed with her UK drivers license that when she visited the UK she went and got it back straight away.

My understanding is, so long as you are still a British citizen you are entitled to what you are entitled to as British.

Getting your license back is very easy. My wife had her back within a week after she arrived in London, UK. What I haven't checked is if her license number is the same as the old one. However I have no reason to think the number would be different from the old license.

Also remember in the UK you don't have to carry your license on you when driving. Once you have an unexpired UK drivers license you can drive without carrying it on you.

If you can be a Canadian citizen and a British citizen at the same time and have passports from both countries, why can't you have a British license and a canadian license at the same time?

Before we came to Canada I asked Canada immigration if I can keep my UK passport and they said they don't care how many passports I carry. I can be a citizen of as many countries as I want and have their passports, they don't care.

Is there a specific law against having a drivers license from another country so long as you are not using it to drive in Canada? I don't think so!

I think the Canadian licensing authorities need to be convinced that you are an experienced driver and you actually have a Uk license. That is why they would want to take it from you and swap it with a canadian license. That is not to say you can never have a UK license again.

This is my thinking and I may be totally wrong but I think it is just common sense to think about it this way.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hydraman
My wife was so obsessed with her UK drivers license that when she visited the UK she went and got it back straight away.

My understanding is, so long as you are still a British citizen you are entitled to what you are entitled to as British.

Getting your license back is very easy. My wife had her back within a week after she arrived in London, UK. What I haven't checked is if her license number is the same as the old one. However I have no reason to think the number would be different from the old license.

Also remember in the UK you don't have to carry your license on you when driving. Once you have an unexpired UK drivers license you can drive without carrying it on you.

If you can be a Canadian citizen and a British citizen at the same time and have passports from both countries, why can't you have a British license and a canadian license at the same time?

Before we came to Canada I asked Canada immigration if I can keep my UK passport and they said they don't care how many passports I carry. I can be a citizen of as many countries as I want and have their passports, they don't care.

Is there a specific law against having a drivers license from another country so long as you are not using it to drive in Canada? I don't think so!

I think the Canadian licensing authorities need to be convinced that you are an experienced driver and you actually have a Uk license. That is why they would want to take it from you and swap it with a canadian license. That is not to say you can never have a UK license again.

This is my thinking and I may be totally wrong but I think it is just common sense to think about it this way.
You need to read the respective Provinces regulations regarding driving licences. Some clearly state you can only hold ONE licence and all other licences need to be handed over to them prior to them issuing a licence.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:29 pm
Banned

It has nothing to do with Canada needing to be convinced. It is to do with the mutual exchange agreement between Canada and the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Being a British citizen does not, in itself, entitle you to a driving licence from the DVLA. For example, British citizens living in Northern Ireland and the Crown Dependencies/Territories have different driving licences.

In the same way, a Canadian citizen is not entitled to demand a driving licence from any of the provinces/territories. They have to get a driving licence where they live. Canadian citizens living in other countries don't have Canadian driving licences, usually.

Getting your license back is very easy. My wife had her back within a week after she arrived in London, UK.
If she is claiming to live in London, doesn't that risk causing her to be deemed tax resident/domiciled in the United Kingdom?

Because driving licences are not passports.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:44 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

I took a photocopy of my UK Drivers License, both the paper and the card, and I just expected to be able to go back and show those to prove I have a clean UK license.