Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario temp driving licence accepted in UK?

Ontario temp driving licence accepted in UK?

Old May 13th 2012, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Jon_b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ontario temp driving licence accepted in UK?

Hi Guys,

Due to rather poor forward planning, I decided to swap my UK driving licence for an Ontario one right before going on a holiday back to the UK. I did the swap last week, and leave for the UK in a weeks time, so it's possible the permanent one will have arrived by then but until then I just have the temporary slip of paper with my name on it.
If it hasn't though, what are the odds a UK car rental agency will accept the ontario temporary one? Obviously it has no photo or anything else on it.

I suspect that legally it would be fine, just wondered if I will have difficulty persuading the rental people to accept it.

Has anyone done similar?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by Jon_b; May 13th 2012 at 11:14 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 4:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario temp driving licence accepted in UK?

http://www.avis.co.uk/CustomerService

http://www.thrifty.co.uk/uk-booking-guide.htm

You might be able to use your old paper licence from the UK together with your passport in lieu of a photo-card licence... Thrifty appear to allow this but not Avis.

Otherwise I believe you may have a problem if you don't have a photo-card licence.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Jon_b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ontario temp driving licence accepted in UK?

Thanks siouxie. Just checked with the rental company green motion, and they say I should be ok as long as I bring a passport. Here's hoping the guy on the day says the same! No longer have any old uk licence paperwork unfortunately.