Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tried and failed!

Tried and failed!

Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tried and failed!

Originally Posted by Top Cat
So,

To cut a very long story short.. we moved to Calgary in March this year and embarked upon this life we had been planning for years.

Hubby got a job relatively early, which is good but it doesnt pay good and we are having to subsidise with our little pot of savings...

I have hit a brick wall regarding my work as a nurse.. Just No jobs, and no point in getting registered to work in Alberta as they dont have enough jobs for their own newly qualified nurses..

Anyhow our children are little and I am enjoying spending time with them but boy am I lonely! I have tried mom and toddler groups and moms at the school, but I feel that Canadian moms keep to themselves.. ' a generalisation I know but true in my case'.

I have always prided myself on being a good communicator and able to make friens easily.. not here!

I know its still early days... but hubby feels the same!

I am not down about Canada as it is a wonderful country and a better place for children..I think..

We cannot survive here being so unhappy.. financially its crippling us!

All in all, we miss family so much and have decided to return to the UK Im sure lots of you will say..'its early days stick at it' and ' didnt you know this before you moved'.

So......... if anyone is looking for a nice house to rent in Copperfield, Calgary from mid August let me know... oh and a Dodge caravan with low kms to buy...

send me a pm if anyone is interested.

No negative replies please as im pretty fed up already..

Regards Top Cat
This post has made me feel so sad for you guys. I'm so sorry that you feel this way so early in your emigration journey. I can totally identify with how you feel in some respects. I too felt wobbly at around the same time, job prospects were very tricky for us too and having left good, well paid jobs behind in the UK to come here we began to feel 'what have we done?'.

There is no doubt that financially, unless you come with pre-arranged employment, that it puts tremendous pressure on your lives. I dread to think how much of our savings we've poured into our new lives here so far. For so many of us who arrive with PR and no jobs, it's a huge risk. There have been times when we have seriously considered whether we could afford to stay here. I guess at the root of it all is a desperation on our part not to return to the UK, and finally, after 18 months, our financial situation is beginning to improve. We're still not nearly earning as much as we did before, but we're clawing our way back gradually!

I totally understand your desperation and worry, and if you feel that you must return to the UK to survive, then all I would say is DONT close the door on your dreams here. It sounds like you have many positive feelings about Canada and if you have PR, then you could still return, should jobs in your field become more plentiful in the next year or so. Maybe it's more a case of 'right place - wrong time' than 'wrong decision altogether'.

Keep positive, take care and good luck. Oh and we're just down the road in Okotoks if you fancy a cuppa and a shoulder......
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:20 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tried and failed!

Regarding nursing jobs, I know there was a complete freeze for a while and I realise that most if not all of the current postings, (and there at least a couple of hundred in Calgary at the moment), are for internal candidates only, but I do believe this will change.

We have seen it in physiotherapy. First the freeze lifts, then they advertise for internal candidates, and THEN they will HAVE to advertise externally for all thos ejobs they cannot fill with internal candidates. It IS what is happening in physio, and I'm CERTAIN it will be the same with nurses as there are just not enough people currently in the system to fill all the positions.

I guess what I am saying is a) I agree with folks that you've just "hit the wall" as regards immigration, and you need to give it longer to get over this hump, and b) the lack of nursing posts currently is not a good enough reason to throw it all away ... unless of course it's what you want to do, or you really cannot afford to stay, in which case good luck with your return.

However, I know a few people who would have returned several times over in their first year, had it been possible, but end up being well pleased that they stuck it out after all.