British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Tried and failed! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/tried-failed-673594/)

Top Cat Jun 23rd 2010 1:17 am

Tried and failed!

So,

To cut a very long story short.. we moved to Calgary in March this year and embarked upon this life we had been planning for years.

Hubby got a job relatively early, which is good but it doesnt pay good and we are having to subsidise with our little pot of savings...

I have hit a brick wall regarding my work as a nurse.. Just No jobs, and no point in getting registered to work in Alberta as they dont have enough jobs for their own newly qualified nurses..:thumbdown:

Anyhow our children are little and I am enjoying spending time with them:thumbup: but boy am I lonely! I have tried mom and toddler groups and moms at the school, but I feel that Canadian moms keep to themselves.. ' a generalisation I know but true in my case'.

I have always prided myself on being a good communicator and able to make friens easily.. not here!

I know its still early days... but hubby feels the same!

I am not down about Canada as it is a wonderful country and a better place for children..I think..

We cannot survive here being so unhappy.. financially its crippling us!

All in all, we miss family so much and have decided to return to the UK:unsure: Im sure lots of you will say..'its early days stick at it' and ' didnt you know this before you moved'.

So......... if anyone is looking for a nice house to rent in Copperfield, Calgary from mid August let me know... oh and a Dodge caravan with low kms to buy...

send me a pm if anyone is interested.

No negative replies please as im pretty fed up already..

Regards Top Cat:)

fledermaus Jun 23rd 2010 1:20 am

Re: Tried and failed!

Originally Posted by Top Cat (Post 8650181)
So,

To cut a very long story short.. we moved to Calgary in March this year and embarked upon this life we had been planning for years.

Hubby got a job relatively early, which is good but it doesnt pay good and we are having to subsidise with our little pot of savings...

I have hit a brick wall regarding my work as a nurse.. Just No jobs, and no point in getting registered to work in Alberta as they dont have enough jobs for their own newly qualified nurses..:thumbdown:

Anyhow our children are little and I am enjoying spending time with them:thumbup: but boy am I lonely! I have tried mom and toddler groups and moms at the school, but I feel that Canadian moms keep to themselves.. ' a generalisation I know but true in my case'.

I have always prided myself on being a good communicator and able to make friens easily.. not here!

I am not down about Canada as it is a wonderful country and a better place for children..I think..

All in all, we miss family so much and have decided to return to the UK:unsure: Im sure lots of you will say..'its early days stick at it' and ' didnt you know this before you moved'.

So......... if anyone is looking for a nice house to rent in Copperfield, Calgary from mid August let me know... oh and a Dodge caravan with low kms to buy...

I think it's wise to know when to say enough is enough. The longer you leave it the harder it is to go back. You've tried and can see it won't work for you so I don't think you failed. It's just the wrong place and wrong time for you.

Good luck with your new plans

Eastbound Jun 23rd 2010 2:20 am

So,

Just wanted to add my best wishes these decsions are never easy and you have got to do whatever you all feel is right for you as a family only you know your circumstances and the limit of what you can endure . Just wondered if you had given any thought to maybe trying out a differant province , again I know its a long shot and more expense but another part of Canada may be a better fit for you
All the very best :)

The4BellsLondon Jun 23rd 2010 2:37 am

Good Luck TC - it can be hard - it has taken me nearly 2 years to find people that I can call friends - at 10 months in I was ready to leave, BUt having stuck it out I now like it. I still miss home and wouldnt say that I am here for life, but I am enjoying what the country has to offer at the moment!

BUT if you know its not for you then its not for you :)

Ikatita Jun 23rd 2010 2:40 am

all the best for the organization that goes into planning the return trip --
and for re-adjusting to life in the UK after the absence.

Piff Poff Jun 23rd 2010 2:44 am

It's sad when it doesn't work for whatever reason. It does sound as though your not leaving all thoughts of living in Canada completely if your renting your house out when you go. Maybe you feel you need to regroup and try another time?

Whatever you do decide to do I wish you the very best of luck, your incredibly brave for trying out a new country and just as brave admitting it might not be what you're looking for.:thumbsup:

Clematis Jun 23rd 2010 2:52 am

I think everyone has already said the best things.....
Good luck with whatever comes next for you and yours.

MR79 Jun 23rd 2010 3:54 am

Hey atleast you tried and gave it ur best shot..... Good luck with watever you do next....Its not easy here, no matter what people say to you negative or positive, its your decision at the end of the day and you need to do whats right for you and your family.....

MR79

ness101 Jun 23rd 2010 4:10 am

Best of luck in what ever you do, I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision :)

jericho Jun 23rd 2010 4:36 am

Sorry it's not worked out, but I suspect you'll regret packing it in in the near future. Three/four months is really no time at all to decide if something is/isnt going to work out.
Can you not arrange some meet ups with local English mums? Wifey here in Edmonton has a really good mix of English and Canadian friends, but I know there's a decent expat population in Calgary... lots of people in a similar situation to you.

Hope everything works out for the best, but I think going home after a couple of months is a bit hasty....
:thumbsup:

MrsDV Jun 23rd 2010 5:31 am

Sorry to hear you're fed up.

Whatever you do, please don't think you've failed. Even if you do go back to the UK in August, you tried something new and decided it wasn't for you.

In the meantime, I'm in Calgary so if you fancy a meet up drop me a PM - we could take the kids to one of the parks for a few hours.

Take care

MrsDV

Bellanova Jun 23rd 2010 11:03 am

So sorry to hear that things aren't working out for you guys. As previously said 3 months is such a short space of time to feel settled, we have been here 2 years in October and I can honestly say that I'm only just starting to feel settled and the homesickness has pretty much gone.
Maybe it might be a good idea to consider another province they are all SO different.
I really hope that things sort themselves out for you and that the move back is everthing you hope it will be, Good luck :):)

edmontron Jun 23rd 2010 12:07 pm

I don't think you can say you've "tried and failed", you are in the middle of trying and it's too early to reach a conclusion. Having gone through the immigration process myself I can say that changing countries like this is not easy. I don't know about your financial situation (one of you does earn an income?) and don't take this the wrong way but I think you should definitely give it more than just three months now that you are out there (in accommodation, with a car, etc) Maybe you could decide now that you are going back in a year if things don't change and this would make you feel more relaxed and maybe things would start to slowly change to the better the more you adapt.
Good luck whatever you do!

newkiwi Jun 23rd 2010 12:11 pm

So,

its not "tried and failed" its "tried and decided to return"...
its not a competition where you win if you stay and loose if you return.
some people just find that its better for them to go back to the uk, no failure there...

good luck :)

jamie677 Jun 23rd 2010 12:18 pm

So,

We did the same 2 yrs ago,returned to the uk after 3 mths ,our oldest didnt like it and i was home sick,but since being back in the uk we have decided to go back.
At least you can say you gave it ago,you have to do what makes you happy.
Good luck