Reload this Page >

Tried and failed!

Tried and failed!

Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tried and failed!

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Why is hubby not earning enough, ? did you not research before you came his earning potential? or are you just spending/renting to high ? And giving in after barely 3 months. I know you didn't want any negative replies and i dont meen to be hurtfull, but it seems to me that you only have yourselves to blame for your plight. I dont consider that you have tried and that you have just given up.
Thank you for your negative reply.

Firstly research, We spent 3 months in Calgary in 2007 conducting research, a further 3 weeks in Ontario in June last year and a further week in Oct last year researching our move. I think that question is now answered.

I have 14 years Nursing experience, with a degree, and I also have 8 years Policing experience. We fully researched work and sent e mails from the UK but were always faced with the same response, 'we are interested and would consider your application hawever not untill you land in Calgary and in a position to commit'.

Since landing the only work hubby has only been able to secure (with 10 years Police experience) is a $15 per hour Security position.
He was always willing to start at the bottom however after 4 months and no fresh opportunities coming up we are faced with the decision, stay and fund our stay spending a big portion of our savings, which we would need for a deposit on a home in the hope something comes up but with the risk of 12 month down the line being in rented, in the same working position but with no deposit for a home.. OR return back to the UK where we can start back working at the same place we left with good pay.

We came Canada in the hope of being able to secure jobs with an average pay that would pay enough to provide a home with enough left over to allow us enjoy some of the outdoor living. It just so happens that although it works out for many people it just hasn't for us.

If it was just myself and my OH then we would probably last out a little longer however we take being a parent and being able to provide for our family very seriously and with banks both in Canada and the UK now refusing to give morgages to people with less the 10% deposit, if I use up all our money then it could put buying a house back by 5 years or more. Not a position that i want to find myself in.

I know you mentioned research but moving over to Canada this did not happen over night. From the point that we evaluated everything and decided 100% to move it was a further 6 months after that when we landed.... alot happens in 6 months, the Pound lost even more strength against the Dollar and the forcast that work opportunities were about to open didnt and still have'nt happened.

I would never put anyone off coming over here and giving it a go. If i knew 6 months ago what i know now I would still have come over. I have met some great people and enjoyed all the challenges but when you find yourself every month using up more and more of your savings, you eventually are forced into making a decision.

Stay with big risks or go back, (Hubby was earning 3 times what he earns here), buy a house and come out to Canada every other year on holiday.
We love Canada and would prefer to leave Canada still loving the country rather then stay a little longer and risk leaving feeling bitter and dissapointed.

I do understand that we should give it longer.. as 4 months is no trial really.. but if your lonely, under financial pressure and you can see no light at the end the Uk is more promising for us in the current climate.

No doubt when I get back to the Uk and start work, dealing with sex offences and nasty assaults etc.. Seeing the worst of the Uk in all its glory !!I will wish that things worked out here..

I need stability for my family..

Thank you to all who have PM'd me.. as usual you are all a fantastic support and taking the time to read and reply to me.

Top Cat
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:43 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are burning your way through your savings then you have to throw the towel in at some point.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:23 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I scanned through this thread backwards (as I often do.) And I saw posts from someone called "Top Cat" with a user title "Life is an adventure!"

I know there are many threads from people who are homesick, or where Canada isn't living up to expectations, having a bad day, trouble integrating or employment is underpaid and/or money is running out. I think I've also seen mention here that there have been healthcare cuts in Alberta and there are often freezes on hiring medical staff (?)

Just a thought, but think about other provinces first. There are healthcare shortages elsewhere and, not that I'm suggesting eastern Canada as a solution, there are other locations, in Canada, where you might find that "Life is an adventure!"
Old Jun 24th 2010, 11:33 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I scanned through this thread backwards (as I often do.) And I saw posts from someone called "Top Cat" with a user title "Life is an adventure!"

I know there are many threads from people who are homesick, or where Canada isn't living up to expectations, having a bad day, trouble integrating or employment is underpaid and/or money is running out. I think I've also seen mention here that there have been healthcare cuts in Alberta and there are often freezes on hiring medical staff (?)

Just a thought, but think about other provinces first. There are healthcare shortages elsewhere and, not that I'm suggesting eastern Canada as a solution, there are other locations, in Canada, where you might find that "Life is an adventure!"
Having moved from one Province to another and finding them so very, very different to each other - I would agree with this. If you made the massive move once, what harm is making another little one before making the massive move back to the UK?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:02 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Having moved from one Province to another and finding them so very, very different to each other - I would agree with this. If you made the massive move once, what harm is making another little one before making the massive move back to the UK?
I would agree but since the OP has mentioned that they're burning through their savings rapidly, a transition to another province could be a large risk and would need careful financial planning.

One thing i am curious about. If the OP is burning through their savings due to their limited income, are there any cuts they can make in their daily lives to mitigate this, ensuring more financial stability for a longer term?

For example, does the OP have a new car, Cable TV, Mobile Phone etc? Some strategic shopping may also help. That said, they're probably already reducing their outgoings by looking at these things so i may be preaching to the converted.

Good luck, Topcat, with whatever you do.

If it's not right, it's not right.

Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

One advantage of going back so quickly is that it will be very easy to slot back into UK society. Once you've been away for a couple of years it is a different country you come back to!

To me this "tried and failed" experience is the result of a fundamental flaw in the immigration system. People are lead to immigrate based on points and demand etc so they expect a future (I assume this is the case here) and people make themselves available to the foreign labour market at great personal expense and then surprisingly there are no jobs out there. Happens in Australia, highly educated people driving taxis for example because the points and demand system is out of sync. I don't have a solution, I reckon immigrants should be given a welcome grant for coming to a foreign country to work!
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:16 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fledermaus
obnoxious git
My sentiments entirely.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
I reckon immigrants should be given a welcome grant for coming to a foreign country to work!

Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edmontron
Happens in Australia, highly educated people driving taxis for example because the points and demand system is out of sync. I don't have a solution
Firstly, I don't think going back is failure, if the OP is happier in the UK then that's how it is, no failure there. Secondly, I agree that three months isn't long enough to know.

Now to the digression. I suggest that an effective immigration policy is none at all. The government cannot effective choose immigrants, it will be always be out of step with the job market and cause misery for immigrants recruited on the basis of what workers were needed last year. Not allowing immigration based of skills will result in only determined and valuable immigrants arriving; living illegally in a foreign country requires commitment, an ability to stay out of trouble with the law and a skill that can be instantly traded for cash. The government should just close the skilled worker categories allowing only family, working holiday and refugee immigration classes. Skilled workers will still come if there's work for them, regardless of there being work permits, and they'll go away when there's no work; that's how the building industry in Toronto and the computer business in Silicon Valley operate so efficiently.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Firstly, I don't think going back is failure, if the OP is happier in the UK then that's how it is, no failure there. Secondly, I agree that three months isn't long enough to know.

Now to the digression. I suggest that an effective immigration policy is none at all. The government cannot effective choose immigrants, it will be always be out of step with the job market and cause misery for immigrants recruited on the basis of what workers were needed last year. Not allowing immigration based of skills will result in only determined and valuable immigrants arriving; living illegally in a foreign country requires commitment, an ability to stay out of trouble with the law and a skill that can be instantly traded for cash. The government should just close the skilled worker categories allowing only family, working holiday and refugee immigration classes. Skilled workers will still come if there's work for them, regardless of there being work permits, and they'll go away when there's no work; that's how the building industry in Toronto and the computer business in Silicon Valley operate so efficiently.
Interesting point. If your policy was implemented, one wonders how many immigrants from relatively affluent countries would come, is it worth giving up the security of the NHS etc., to live as part of an underclass?
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Interesting point. If your policy was implemented, one wonders how many immigrants from relatively affluent countries would come, is it worth giving up the security of the NHS etc., to live as part of an underclass?
I know of a dozen or so from London and two from Ireland. What they have in common is that, at the time of arriving, they were relatively young, skilled, and without partners or children. Ideal immigrants, some would say.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:08 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a dozen or so from London and two from Ireland. What they have in common is that, at the time of arriving, they were relatively young, skilled, and without partners or children. Ideal immigrants, some would say.
That was me 41 years ago !
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
My sentiments entirely.
+1
Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Agree completely, perfect immigrants. Ones who will actually leave the country for greener pastures as soon as the skilled work dries up.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 4:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Agree entirely with these two sentences.

However, I don't agree with the rest. The ideal immigrants are the ones who will settle down here and have lots of Canadian children, and grandchildren. The country needs to address it's aging population and it's long-term labour shortages more than the short-term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.