British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   too old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/too-old-710852/)

jack 66 Mar 25th 2011 5:56 pm

too old

thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.

singingringingtree Mar 25th 2011 6:00 pm

Re: too old

There are a lot of people older than you applying - we are two of them! Never crossed our minds we might be too old.

Stonedog Mar 25th 2011 6:12 pm

I was 34 and hubby was 44 when we applied. Now I'm 40 and he's 50 and we've been in NS for 7 months.

Never too old for adventure :thumbup:

Alan2005 Mar 25th 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by jack 66 (Post 9264425)
thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.

Lot's of people move in their late 30's early 40's. The upside is that people have normally built up some wealth/equity by then which they can then use to help get set up. The downside is that their "career" can be set back quite a bit as they start over.

Oink Mar 25th 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jack 66 (Post 9264425)

Welcome to BE.

I'd think very hard about the financial cost to you. At your age it's difficult to make up for mistakes and you don't wan't to spend old age poor and have no security. Secondly, a holiday in Vancouver is fun but living here permanently is not all beer and skittles.

BristolUK Mar 25th 2011 6:29 pm

I was 47 when I married for the first time and then I moved over.:)

james.mc Mar 25th 2011 6:36 pm

53 years old and FSW application under way. Wife, at 34, is somewhat younger.

My father was 50 something when he moved to Canada.

I say move when you feel like it, not based on DOB.

immichaelcaine Mar 25th 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 9264482)
53 years old and FSW application under way. Wife, at 34, is somewhat younger.

May father was 50 something when he moved to Canada.

I say move when you feel like it, not based on DOB.

i wuz aboot 30 when i movin' 2 canada an i is now 16 in ny.

irishgirl33 Mar 25th 2011 6:54 pm

im 33 and hubby is 42 and in the process of moving.never too old.

Tangram Mar 25th 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine (Post 9264495)
i wuz aboot 30 when i movin' 2 canada an i is now 16 in ny.

Well put Charlie.

Oink Mar 25th 2011 7:03 pm

Sorry to sound too negative but I am going to anyway. When the novelty of frigid temperatures, the inordinate amount of snow, Tim Horton’s and shopping in the endless, endless strip-malls and the inane prattle about ice hockey wears thin and you look around to find that most of your financial security has been eroded and you haven’t seen your family in five years, remember that an interesting holiday may have been a better option to quench that thirst for adventure.

Tangram Mar 25th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264523)
Sorry to sound too negative but I am going to anyway. When the novelty of frigid temperatures, the inordinate amount of snow, Tim Horton’s and shopping in the endless, endless strip-malls and the inane prattle about ice hockey wears thin and you look around to find that most of your financial security has been eroded and you haven’t seen your family in five years, remember that an interesting holiday may have been a better option to quench that thirst for adventure.

Does Vancouver have frigid temperatures ?

Oink Mar 25th 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9264537)
Does Vancouver have frigid temperatures ?

Who can afford to live in Vancouver? But I see your point. So when the endless fishing, sailing, hiking, year round golfing and picknics on the beach wear thin . . . ;)

You could still just come on holiday every year.

Tangram Mar 25th 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264547)
Who can afford to live in Vancouver? But I see your point. So when the endless fishing, sailing, hiking, year round golfing and picknics on the beach wear thin . . . ;)

You could still just come on holiday every year.

I only mentioned it as the OP was going there for his 2 weeks.

Oink Mar 25th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9264556)
I only mentioned it as the OP was going there for his 2 weeks.

And in my hast to offer advice I missed that critical factor. :o