British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   too old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/too-old-710852/)

jack 66 Mar 25th 2011 5:56 pm

too old

thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.

singingringingtree Mar 25th 2011 6:00 pm

Re: too old

There are a lot of people older than you applying - we are two of them! Never crossed our minds we might be too old.

Stonedog Mar 25th 2011 6:12 pm

I was 34 and hubby was 44 when we applied. Now I'm 40 and he's 50 and we've been in NS for 7 months.

Never too old for adventure :thumbup:

Alan2005 Mar 25th 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by jack 66 (Post 9264425)
thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.

Lot's of people move in their late 30's early 40's. The upside is that people have normally built up some wealth/equity by then which they can then use to help get set up. The downside is that their "career" can be set back quite a bit as they start over.

Oink Mar 25th 2011 6:23 pm

Welcome to BE.

I'd think very hard about the financial cost to you. At your age it's difficult to make up for mistakes and you don't wan't to spend old age poor and have no security. Secondly, a holiday in Vancouver is fun but living here permanently is not all beer and skittles.

BristolUK Mar 25th 2011 6:29 pm

I was 47 when I married for the first time and then I moved over.:)

james.mc Mar 25th 2011 6:36 pm

53 years old and FSW application under way. Wife, at 34, is somewhat younger.

My father was 50 something when he moved to Canada.

I say move when you feel like it, not based on DOB.

immichaelcaine Mar 25th 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by james.mc (Post 9264482)
53 years old and FSW application under way. Wife, at 34, is somewhat younger.

May father was 50 something when he moved to Canada.

I say move when you feel like it, not based on DOB.

i wuz aboot 30 when i movin' 2 canada an i is now 16 in ny.

irishgirl33 Mar 25th 2011 6:54 pm

im 33 and hubby is 42 and in the process of moving.never too old.

Tangram Mar 25th 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine (Post 9264495)
i wuz aboot 30 when i movin' 2 canada an i is now 16 in ny.

Well put Charlie.

Oink Mar 25th 2011 7:03 pm

Sorry to sound too negative but I am going to anyway. When the novelty of frigid temperatures, the inordinate amount of snow, Tim Horton’s and shopping in the endless, endless strip-malls and the inane prattle about ice hockey wears thin and you look around to find that most of your financial security has been eroded and you haven’t seen your family in five years, remember that an interesting holiday may have been a better option to quench that thirst for adventure.

Tangram Mar 25th 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264523)
Sorry to sound too negative but I am going to anyway. When the novelty of frigid temperatures, the inordinate amount of snow, Tim Horton’s and shopping in the endless, endless strip-malls and the inane prattle about ice hockey wears thin and you look around to find that most of your financial security has been eroded and you haven’t seen your family in five years, remember that an interesting holiday may have been a better option to quench that thirst for adventure.

Does Vancouver have frigid temperatures ?

Oink Mar 25th 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9264537)
Does Vancouver have frigid temperatures ?

Who can afford to live in Vancouver? But I see your point. So when the endless fishing, sailing, hiking, year round golfing and picknics on the beach wear thin . . . ;)

You could still just come on holiday every year.

Tangram Mar 25th 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264547)
Who can afford to live in Vancouver? But I see your point. So when the endless fishing, sailing, hiking, year round golfing and picknics on the beach wear thin . . . ;)

You could still just come on holiday every year.

I only mentioned it as the OP was going there for his 2 weeks.

Oink Mar 25th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9264556)
I only mentioned it as the OP was going there for his 2 weeks.

And in my hast to offer advice I missed that critical factor. :o

britsnake Mar 25th 2011 7:35 pm

When I was in the UK I used to think that I was too old.

Since coming to Canada, I have met many active people in their 70s and 80s, many of them still working.

I am often called "young man" and to be honest I feel younger than I did in the UK.

I still intend to retire when I am 60, but many of these older people think I am crazy. They say if they stopped working they would not know what to do with themselves (I have more imagination I guess).

I admit that the novelty of frigid temperatures and inordinate amounts of snow in the winter and searing heat and blood thirsty insects in the summer has worn a bit thin (i didn't even go in the pool last summer as I knew the mozzies were just waiting for me).

There are still many other things to enjoy. Last year I made a friend who was fond of hiking up montains I went a few times. Thankfully he has moved away now.

Now it does not seem like an adventure anymore, it is just my life. And Canada is my home.

james.mc Mar 25th 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by britsnake (Post 9264570)
Last year I made a friend who was fond of hiking up montains I went a few times. Thankfully he has moved away now.

:rofl::rofl:

mandymoochops Mar 25th 2011 7:45 pm

yep I laughed at that bit too :rofl:

plca Mar 25th 2011 7:47 pm

me too - i just choked on my apple!

:rofl::rofl:

Oink Mar 25th 2011 8:04 pm

Given the amount of snow most of Canada gets and the need to shovel it from the drive and pavement, I wonder if it has a much higher percentage of senior citizens with broken hips? I couldn't find any data.

Novocastrian Mar 25th 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264602)
Given the amount of snow most of Canada gets and the need to shovel it from the drive and pavement, I wonder if it has a much higher percentage of senior citizens with broken hips? I couldn't find any data.

Only among those who don't have a snow blower.

james.mc Mar 25th 2011 8:48 pm

You can't get the actual data until after the snow melts ;)

Reidies Mar 25th 2011 8:51 pm

[QUOTE=jack 66;9264425]thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.[/QUOTE

We moved over last June on my hubbys 46th birthday, I was 50.
we both found jobs and have no regrets.

lindabey Mar 25th 2011 9:00 pm

Of course your not too old. We are in the process of moving out ourselves to Vancouver . My hubby is 52 and im 48 . good luck

retrobloke Mar 26th 2011 4:47 am

We moved to Vancouver Island last October, I am 57 and wife is a bit younger!!

Its not a cheap option but if you can afford it, go for it.

Cheers

RB

MarylandNed Mar 26th 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264523)

Where do you live? Are you sure you're "living the dream"?

MarylandNed Mar 26th 2011 6:00 am

Not mad at all. As others have said, you're never too old for adventure. Life is short and you only live once.

lizziem Mar 26th 2011 9:03 am

we are moving to (somewhere) in ontario in july i'm 47 and other half is 54, we have a 9 year old son to keep us young, it is now or never.

heading-west Mar 26th 2011 2:12 pm

We are 43 and 50 years old and totally crazy...but thats why it will work out for us. we are go get 'em kind of people here and intend to keep that up when we get to Canada.

so to the OP i say go for it if you've got the balls......:thumbup:

johnh009 Mar 26th 2011 2:18 pm

You need to take into account how long it will take to get Landed Immigrant status. It can take 4 to 5 years, unless you can come in by some other route.

swoops Mar 26th 2011 5:15 pm

I was 49 when we made the move last year...I did wonder at the time about my age and looking for work...been here a year now and its the best decision we've made...:thumbsup:

Steve_P Mar 26th 2011 5:56 pm

I would think that the broken hips would result from slips and falls when the snow is not shoveled. ;)

It is though a well known fact that heart attacks and reports of angina increase after a heavy snowfall.:ohmy:

bop53 Mar 27th 2011 5:30 pm

Hubby and I emigrated in our mid 50's too.

The only downside to age, is that from a psychological perspective, many of your values and ethics are quite fixed and it can be hard to adapt into a completely different culture.

And to echo what someone else said, if it all goes pear shaped, you have less working years to re-coup the high cost of immigration. We reckon our failed 'adventure' has cost in the region of £50k.

But going into something with your eyes wide open does help.

Good luck.

big ron Mar 27th 2011 5:32 pm

Hi All Grandpa here
Don't like to dwell on our age's but my wife is 64 me 65 and we can't wait to land in may.Looking forward to all those new places to see, people to meet ,food to enjoy,beer to drink.BRING IT ON !!!:rofl::thumbsup::beer:

Steve_P Mar 27th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by big ron (Post 9267805)
Hi All Grandpa here
Don't like to dwell on our age's but my wife is 64 me 65 and we can't wait to land in may.Looking forward to all those new places to see, people to meet ,food to enjoy,beer to drink.BRING IT ON !!!:rofl::thumbsup::beer:

From one Grandpa to another...HI!!

I hope that Canada is all that you wish it to be. :)

Me almost 64, Mrs_P almost 62. But I've been here since I was16. :D

tomtatew Mar 28th 2011 4:35 pm

We are older than you are, we are going in April this year. We are young at heart and willing to try new things. There are only two of us and our two dogs. I am 57 now, my wife is some other age but younger.:thumbup:

lindabey Mar 28th 2011 4:58 pm

:D:D:D

Originally Posted by tomtatew (Post 9269797)
We are older than you are, we are going in April this year. We are young at heart and willing to try new things. There are only two of us and our two dogs. I am 57 now, my wife is some other age but younger.:thumbup:

Hi what part of canada are going to. Have you sold your house yet.
who is the most nervous of you both. I must admit just a bit worried about the driving out there for myself.
will you be working out there . what will your wife be doing . im actually going back to college at the age of 48 dont laugh

tomtatew Mar 28th 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by lindabey (Post 9269836)
:D:D:D

Hi what part of canada are going to. Have you sold your house yet.
who is the most nervous of you both. I must admit just a bit worried about the driving out there for myself.
will you be working out there . what will your wife be doing . im actually going back to college at the age of 48 dont laugh

We are going to Moncton New Brunswick. We are both excited, my wife is worried about driving on the other side of the road but is going to take lessons to get used to it. We will be working and starting a dog grooming, kennel, doggy day care business along with other things.

We have a freind who is planning to go to college in Moncton next year, he is 41 when he gets there. Where are you going?

Tom

lindabey Mar 28th 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by tomtatew (Post 9269928)
We are going to Moncton New Brunswick. We are both excited, my wife is worried about driving on the other side of the road but is going to take lessons to get used to it. We will be working and starting a dog grooming, kennel, doggy day care business along with other things.

We have a freind who is planning to go to college in Moncton next year, he is 41 when he gets there. Where are you going?

Tom

Hi we are going to Vancouver in July/August. Im going to college to do an administrative course, my husband has to retake his hgv1 again to enable to him to get a job at a Mobile crane driver out there.
I may have to take a few lessons on driving myself before im let loose on canada.

tomtatew Mar 28th 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by lindabey (Post 9269976)
Hi we are going to Vancouver in July/August. Im going to college to do an administrative course, my husband has to retake his hgv1 again to enable to him to get a job at a Mobile crane driver out there.
I may have to take a few lessons on driving myself before im let loose on canada.

Wish you the best of luck, we have been to Alberta but not BC. I hear it is one of the best destinations. A bit expensive for us though. Hope you have a great life there.

Regards

Tom