British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   too old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/too-old-710852/)

swoops Mar 26th 2011 5:15 pm

Re: too old

Originally Posted by jack 66 (Post 9264425)
thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.

I was 49 when we made the move last year...I did wonder at the time about my age and looking for work...been here a year now and its the best decision we've made...:thumbsup:

Steve_P Mar 26th 2011 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264602)
Given the amount of snow most of Canada gets and the need to shovel it from the drive and pavement, I wonder if it has a much higher percentage of senior citizens with broken hips? I couldn't find any data.

I would think that the broken hips would result from slips and falls when the snow is not shoveled. ;)

It is though a well known fact that heart attacks and reports of angina increase after a heavy snowfall.:ohmy:

bop53 Mar 27th 2011 5:30 pm

Hubby and I emigrated in our mid 50's too.

The only downside to age, is that from a psychological perspective, many of your values and ethics are quite fixed and it can be hard to adapt into a completely different culture.

And to echo what someone else said, if it all goes pear shaped, you have less working years to re-coup the high cost of immigration. We reckon our failed 'adventure' has cost in the region of £50k.

But going into something with your eyes wide open does help.

Good luck.

big ron Mar 27th 2011 5:32 pm

Hi All Grandpa here
Don't like to dwell on our age's but my wife is 64 me 65 and we can't wait to land in may.Looking forward to all those new places to see, people to meet ,food to enjoy,beer to drink.BRING IT ON !!!:rofl::thumbsup::beer:

Steve_P Mar 27th 2011 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by big ron (Post 9267805)
Hi All Grandpa here
Don't like to dwell on our age's but my wife is 64 me 65 and we can't wait to land in may.Looking forward to all those new places to see, people to meet ,food to enjoy,beer to drink.BRING IT ON !!!:rofl::thumbsup::beer:

From one Grandpa to another...HI!!

I hope that Canada is all that you wish it to be. :)

Me almost 64, Mrs_P almost 62. But I've been here since I was16. :D

tomtatew Mar 28th 2011 4:35 pm

We are older than you are, we are going in April this year. We are young at heart and willing to try new things. There are only two of us and our two dogs. I am 57 now, my wife is some other age but younger.:thumbup:

lindabey Mar 28th 2011 4:58 pm

:D:D:D

Originally Posted by tomtatew (Post 9269797)
We are older than you are, we are going in April this year. We are young at heart and willing to try new things. There are only two of us and our two dogs. I am 57 now, my wife is some other age but younger.:thumbup:

Hi what part of canada are going to. Have you sold your house yet.
who is the most nervous of you both. I must admit just a bit worried about the driving out there for myself.
will you be working out there . what will your wife be doing . im actually going back to college at the age of 48 dont laugh

tomtatew Mar 28th 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by lindabey (Post 9269836)
:D:D:D

Hi what part of canada are going to. Have you sold your house yet.
who is the most nervous of you both. I must admit just a bit worried about the driving out there for myself.
will you be working out there . what will your wife be doing . im actually going back to college at the age of 48 dont laugh

We are going to Moncton New Brunswick. We are both excited, my wife is worried about driving on the other side of the road but is going to take lessons to get used to it. We will be working and starting a dog grooming, kennel, doggy day care business along with other things.

We have a freind who is planning to go to college in Moncton next year, he is 41 when he gets there. Where are you going?

Tom

lindabey Mar 28th 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by tomtatew (Post 9269928)
We are going to Moncton New Brunswick. We are both excited, my wife is worried about driving on the other side of the road but is going to take lessons to get used to it. We will be working and starting a dog grooming, kennel, doggy day care business along with other things.

We have a freind who is planning to go to college in Moncton next year, he is 41 when he gets there. Where are you going?

Tom

Hi we are going to Vancouver in July/August. Im going to college to do an administrative course, my husband has to retake his hgv1 again to enable to him to get a job at a Mobile crane driver out there.
I may have to take a few lessons on driving myself before im let loose on canada.

tomtatew Mar 28th 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by lindabey (Post 9269976)
Hi we are going to Vancouver in July/August. Im going to college to do an administrative course, my husband has to retake his hgv1 again to enable to him to get a job at a Mobile crane driver out there.
I may have to take a few lessons on driving myself before im let loose on canada.

Wish you the best of luck, we have been to Alberta but not BC. I hear it is one of the best destinations. A bit expensive for us though. Hope you have a great life there.

Regards

Tom

lindabey Mar 28th 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by tomtatew (Post 9270015)
Wish you the best of luck, we have been to Alberta but not BC. I hear it is one of the best destinations. A bit expensive for us though. Hope you have a great life there.

Regards

Tom

Best of luck to you both as well