British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   too old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/too-old-710852/)

britsnake Mar 25th 2011 7:35 pm

Re: too old

When I was in the UK I used to think that I was too old.

Since coming to Canada, I have met many active people in their 70s and 80s, many of them still working.

I am often called "young man" and to be honest I feel younger than I did in the UK.

I still intend to retire when I am 60, but many of these older people think I am crazy. They say if they stopped working they would not know what to do with themselves (I have more imagination I guess).

I admit that the novelty of frigid temperatures and inordinate amounts of snow in the winter and searing heat and blood thirsty insects in the summer has worn a bit thin (i didn't even go in the pool last summer as I knew the mozzies were just waiting for me).

There are still many other things to enjoy. Last year I made a friend who was fond of hiking up montains I went a few times. Thankfully he has moved away now.

Now it does not seem like an adventure anymore, it is just my life. And Canada is my home.

james.mc Mar 25th 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by britsnake (Post 9264570)
Last year I made a friend who was fond of hiking up montains I went a few times. Thankfully he has moved away now.

:rofl::rofl:

mandymoochops Mar 25th 2011 7:45 pm

yep I laughed at that bit too :rofl:

plca Mar 25th 2011 7:47 pm

me too - i just choked on my apple!

:rofl::rofl:

Oink Mar 25th 2011 8:04 pm

Given the amount of snow most of Canada gets and the need to shovel it from the drive and pavement, I wonder if it has a much higher percentage of senior citizens with broken hips? I couldn't find any data.

Novocastrian Mar 25th 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264602)
Given the amount of snow most of Canada gets and the need to shovel it from the drive and pavement, I wonder if it has a much higher percentage of senior citizens with broken hips? I couldn't find any data.

Only among those who don't have a snow blower.

james.mc Mar 25th 2011 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264602)

You can't get the actual data until after the snow melts ;)

Reidies Mar 25th 2011 8:51 pm

[QUOTE=jack 66;9264425]thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.[/QUOTE

We moved over last June on my hubbys 46th birthday, I was 50.
we both found jobs and have no regrets.

lindabey Mar 25th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by jack 66 (Post 9264425)
thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.

Of course your not too old. We are in the process of moving out ourselves to Vancouver . My hubby is 52 and im 48 . good luck

retrobloke Mar 26th 2011 4:47 am

We moved to Vancouver Island last October, I am 57 and wife is a bit younger!!

Its not a cheap option but if you can afford it, go for it.

Cheers

RB

MarylandNed Mar 26th 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9264523)
Sorry to sound too negative but I am going to anyway. When the novelty of frigid temperatures, the inordinate amount of snow, Tim Horton’s and shopping in the endless, endless strip-malls and the inane prattle about ice hockey wears thin and you look around to find that most of your financial security has been eroded and you haven’t seen your family in five years, remember that an interesting holiday may have been a better option to quench that thirst for adventure.

Where do you live? Are you sure you're "living the dream"?

MarylandNed Mar 26th 2011 6:00 am

thinking of booking holiday in vancouver for 2weeks , with the view to moving for good . my wife is 35 and a nurse , I am 44 and a pipe welder with a two year old boy. Currently living in ireland , would rent house out for year or so , at my age am i mad.

Not mad at all. As others have said, you're never too old for adventure. Life is short and you only live once.

lizziem Mar 26th 2011 9:03 am

we are moving to (somewhere) in ontario in july i'm 47 and other half is 54, we have a 9 year old son to keep us young, it is now or never.

heading-west Mar 26th 2011 2:12 pm

We are 43 and 50 years old and totally crazy...but thats why it will work out for us. we are go get 'em kind of people here and intend to keep that up when we get to Canada.

so to the OP i say go for it if you've got the balls......:thumbup:

johnh009 Mar 26th 2011 2:18 pm

You need to take into account how long it will take to get Landed Immigrant status. It can take 4 to 5 years, unless you can come in by some other route.