Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tipping Protocol

Tipping Protocol

Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tipping Protocol

Originally Posted by el_richo
I didn't think you liked conforming to "rules"?
I don't like it but it's preferable to some chef doing a micheal winner in my soup.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

i dont see the point in tipping, it should be upto the restaurant to pay their staff higher wages.........
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR79
i dont see the point in tipping, it should be upto the restaurant to pay their staff higher wages.........
Then the food will cost more, and if we got lousy service there's not much we can do about it.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Then the food will cost more, and if we got lousy service there's not much we can do about it.
Margins are already very high. It is largely because it has always been this way and they can get away with it.
If you get lousy service, why would it be any different to any other store, you complain to the management, if they want to keep customers they do something about it, or you just go somewhere else.

Would retail stores give better service if you tipped the cashier or sales assistant?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Except not go back obviously. Nobody actually likes tipping, we do it cos it is the socially accepted norm.

(The Japanese have this right, no tipping and you pay at a till on the way out.)
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Would retail stores give better service if you tipped the cashier or sales assistant?
The liquor store near me has a tips jar. Cheeky gits - needless to say I never put anything in it (and nor does anyone else by the looks of it)
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The liquor store near me has a tips jar. Cheeky gits - needless to say I never put anything in it (and nor does anyone else by the looks of it)
Perhaps flight crews should start passing a a hat around as passengers disembark! Or maybe they would feel more generous before the flight takes off
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps flight crews should start passing a a hat around as passengers disembark! Or maybe they would feel more generous before the flight takes off
Isn't that Air Canada's new business model?

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 29th 2009 at 9:04 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Margins are already very high. It is largely because it has always been this way and they can get away with it.
I think the rule of thumb is 1/3rd for the food, 1/3rd for wages, and a 1/3rd for overheads. A 200% markup on food. That said, not many non-franchise restaurants make much profit. If they pay the staff more they will have to increase prices

If you get lousy service, why would it be any different to any other store, you complain to the management, if they want to keep customers they do something about it, or you just go somewhere else.

It is different to going shopping though. I go to nice restaurants to celebrate a special occasion, or to entertain friends or customers. I want a relaxing, enjoyable occasion and good service makes or breaks the event. I don't want to spend time arguing with the management when I should be enjoying myself.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

(The Japanese have this right, no tipping and you pay at a till on the way out.)
It is not a fair comparison. The Japanese approach comes from a code of manners that took hundreds of years to develop. Good luck in trying the get western yoof to behave in that way.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:12 pm

It is not a fair comparison. The Japanese approach comes from a code of manners that took hundreds of years to develop. Good luck in trying the get western yoof to behave in that way.
That's a very accusatory tone. Did somebody not tip your properly for your last set of accounts

I said they had it right, not that it would work here. North americans are too grasping for that.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

Did somebody not tip your properly for your last set of accounts
The only tip anyone has given me was to buy shares in a company that lost 90% of their value in the following six months. Fortunately, I am far too close to a dollar to risk money on speculation.

If a client wanted to give me a tip I would curse myself for not charging them enough.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:48 pm

It is not a fair comparison. The Japanese approach comes from a code of manners that took hundreds of years to develop.
So western cultures have not developed a code of manners yet?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

So western cultures have not developed a code of manners yet?
Of course they have, but it is a different one.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by el_richo
Balls.

Tipping wouldn’t be so objectionable if it weren’t for the expectation and the sense of entitlement by the server and the establishment no matter what level of service is provided.

Tips should start at zero. If a server does an extraordinary job, you give them a little something to show you liked the level of service.

It is unfortunate that servers don’t get paid more, but tipping could exacerbate the problem. Why would a restaurant owner pay more when the onus of a wage shortfall is picked up by the patron.
Spot on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.