Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tipping Protocol

Tipping Protocol

Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tipping Protocol

Don't mind leaving a tip if I'm happy with the food/service. What does annoy me is if I pay in cash, the server invariably asks if I want change, even without looking to see how much I have handed over to pay the bill.

Kev
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbd33
Completely disagree. In deciding to eat in a restaurant or drink at a bar one does so knowing that the staff in that establishment need and expect 15% of the pre-tax bill to be added as a tip. That's the custom in Canada and people who do not wish to follow the custom should stay at home.
I couldn't agree with you more. Canadians have a saying "If you can't afford to tip then you can't afford to eat out".

Also remember that typically the waiter does not recieve the entire amount of the their tips. They often need to tip out 1 to 3 percent of their total sales to the kitchen and bussing staff. Therefore, if you choose not to tip then you are actually taking money away from the waiter.

Eating out is very reasonable in most parts of Canada. Tipping is expected and very much a part of the culture.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:51 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But surely the tip is compiled with the rest of the nights "takings" to be shared amongst all staff? So it shouldn't matter who serves the tight assed ingrates?
Not in MOST establishments in Calgary (AFAIK), as others have suggested EACH server is responsible for paying out the kitchen, bar, hostess and (in many cases) the 'house' Some servers (I know) can be left with as little 10-15% of their tips (so of that $10 you left THEM $1 goes in their pocket)
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

But surely the tip is compiled with the rest of the nights "takings" to be shared amongst all staff? So it shouldn't matter who serves the tight assed ingrates?
sorry , I forgot to mention that I don't work in a restaurant but as a tour guide, and our tips are not pooled but the customers tip you personally and directly, which in the case of a "tight ass" hurts more than in the other case
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Not in MOST establishments in Calgary (AFAIK), as others have suggested EACH server is responsible for paying out the kitchen, bar, hostess and (in many cases) the 'house' Some servers (I know) can be left with as little 10-15% of their tips (so of that $10 you left THEM $1 goes in their pocket)
That's interesting. Certainly gives another perspective on the poor bastards who have to work with that.

I've never worked in retail or a service related industry but is this practice the norm in the UK and US too?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:54 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. Certainly gives another perspective on the poor bastards who have to work with that.

I've never worked in retail or a service related industry but is this practice the norm in the UK and US too?
As far as I know Tips in the UK are pooled, the US operates a similar to Canada
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know Tips in the UK are pooled, the US operates a similar to Canada
From the way it's described here, the US and Canadian way seems reprehensible.

(I worked in a bar in the UK 20 years ago, I kept all my tips for myself - which wasn't that many. I remember my boss at the time saying he gave the choice between pooling or not and the men said yes and the women no, there were more women so that's they way it was when I started...)
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

QUOTE=Butch Cassidy;8136032]As far as I know Tips in the UK are pooled, the US operates a similar to Canada[/QUOTE]

Just an aside to annoy the Aussies. Cruises sold to Australian have the daily per diem included in the price to cover tips about $9.00 per day. As tipping doesn't seem to be a part of the culture, and on cruise all the wait staff and cabin attendants salary is tips.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan2005
From the way it's described here, the US and Canadian way seems reprehensible.

(I worked in a bar in the UK 20 years ago, I kept all my tips for myself - which wasn't that many. I remember my boss at the time saying he gave the choice between pooling or not and the men said yes and the women no, there were more women so that's they way it was when I started...)
AH now Bars (at least the ones I have 'inside' information on) in Calgary work differently. Bar'people' have a section to work (god help you if work anothers section), they are given 'x' amount of liquor at the start of the night (bottles of beer are counted, spirits are weighed-yes weighed) at the end of the night the amount of liquor is recounted. You are now responsible for paying (out of your takings) for the difference ANYTHING LEFT OVER IS YOURS. A GOOD Barperson will of course make a profit (dont forget most spirits are free poured ).

I'm talking about the people that actually stand behind the bar here, not the servers who may provide table service.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

AH now Bars (at least the ones I have 'inside' information on) in Calgary work differently. Bar'people' have a section to work (god help you if work anothers section), they are given 'x' amount of liquor at the start of the night (bottles of beer are counted, spirits are weighed-yes weighed) at the end of the night the amount of liquor is recounted. You are now responsible for paying (out of your takings) for the difference ANYTHING LEFT OVER IS YOURS. A GOOD Barperson will of course make a profit (dont forget most spirits are free poured ).

I'm talking about the people that actually stand behind the bar here, not the servers who may provide table service.
That seems kind of reptilian and cut-throat.

I tip the normal amounts when I go out and don't really think much about it (I don't really want to do it but I cringe like dbd does when people I'm out with don't tip properly). This thread has been a bit of an eye-opener to say the least.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That seems kind of reptilian and cut-throat.

I tip the normal amounts when I go out and don't really think much about it (I don't really want to do it but I cringe like dbd does when people I'm out with don't tip properly). This thread has been a bit of an eye-opener to say the least.
Although i said what i did about not agreeing with the whole concept, i do actually tip (quite well if the service is good) but knowing how the sharing of tips work now, i'll certainly look at it differently. I feel sorry for the front line staff in that situation.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 2:31 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Educational thread thanks

I usually leave 15% of the total bill as I had no idea it should be 15% of the pre tax ammount! Not that it matters too much when we're only there for 4 weeks a year at the mo
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Falcore

I usually leave 15% of the total bill as I had no idea it should be 15% of the pre tax ammount! Not that it matters too much when we're only there for 4 weeks a year at the mo
Most people I know pay the tip on the whole bill including taxes.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I did that when I first arrived; but quite a few Canadians have told me that I was being an idiot for doing so. I guess it don't make much difference if it's a few drinks for $50.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Falcore

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The difference between tips based on the pre-tax amount and the total bill doesn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.