Tim Hortons

Old May 27th 2004, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

My sister in law works as a baker/supervisor at a tim hortons and she says they are officially nto allowed to give discounts to anyone but are expected to give them to cops and the mangers/company turn a blind eye. When she worked at the cash she felt sorry for the other services and gave discounts to paramedics and firemen etc as well. The coffee at tim hortons is ok but it's nothing special, actually has one of the lowest caffeine levels along with other doughnut places like dunkin' etc. Starbucks on the other hand has super high levels. Their coffee is much better along with Timothy's world of coffee and second cup. The reason more people go to Tim's is i think the price along with the tradition. I get a large triple triple every morning on the way to work and it costs $1.40. Occasionally if I want a treat I'll get a large(grande) starbuck's latte which sets me back like $3.80. 100% times nicer than a regular coffee from tim hortons but I'd go broke if I got a coffee there everyday.
Old May 27th 2004, 12:03 pm
mickj

UKjo.....you are more naughtier than i thought, gordon bennett :-) I didn't see that cummin' to be honest :-) Was this in a patrol car, by the side of the road, i mean...are you sure you weren't seeing things?

Women in police uniforms never did it for me personally, i have always been a nurse kind of man, the one's in that dress uniform :-) So what is it she had in her mouth, a whitsle?

Originally posted by ukjo
actually discovered one last year in an even more dodgy situation and it wasnt doughnuts she had in her mouth then!lol

Old May 27th 2004, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ukjo
we've heard around here that they are trying to prevent the cops from going into tims here. dont ask me why and i dont know how far true it is.

Thanks for giving me the lead for this groaner.

A policeman pulls a man over for speeding and asks him to get out of the car. After looking the man over he says, "Sir, I couldn't help but notice your eyes are bloodshot. Have you been drinking?"
The man gets really indignant and says, "Officer, I couldn't help but notice your eyes are glazed. Have you been eating doughnuts?"

Cops eating doughnuts are really following the procedure for restraining suspects . They just sit on em so they have to be heavy enough.
Old May 27th 2004, 2:33 pm
mickj

The most funniest thing to come out of the quinte region, how long has this been doing the rounds :-)

Originally posted by flashman
Thanks for giving me the lead for this groaner.

A policeman pulls a man over for speeding and asks him to get out of the car. After looking the man over he says, "Sir, I couldn't help but notice your eyes are bloodshot. Have you been drinking?"
The man gets really indignant and says, "Officer, I couldn't help but notice your eyes are glazed. Have you been eating doughnuts?"

Cops eating doughnuts are really following the procedure for restraining suspects . They just sit on em so they have to be heavy enough.

Old May 29th 2004, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm landing in Canada in a couple of weeks and I'm afraid to say that, in all my research of this great country, I didn't pay too much attention to Tim Hortons.

I did visit one, but honestly, the doughnuts didn't look that good - cold, dusty and sitting on a shelf. I left with just a coffee.

I'm used to doughnuts made to order by some gypo at a fairground, produced by a little machine that fires a hoop of dough into molten fat/lard/oil (I'm not sure, probably oil), then the aforementioned carnie pokes them with a wooden stick onto a small metal conveyorbelt that takes them out of the fat, plonking them down on a bed of sugar, rolls them around a bit, puts 4 or 6 in a brown paper bag and charges you 20p (it's probably gone up since my last time).

These are my questions,

Do Tom Horton's make doughnuts like this? So hot you have to wait 5 minutes or you'll burn your mouth.

If they don't, have you all forgotten about the 'fairground/end of pier' style back in the old country, or do you prefer the cold, dusty ones on the shelf?

My wife has told me about Beaver Tails and something about molten tree sap poured onto a table made of snow. These both seem immediate, fresh and hot - like our old doughnuts - why do Canadian's settle for cold doughnuts? I don't get it.

Thanks for listening
Old May 30th 2004, 12:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Dont knock it till you try it!

Iain

Originally posted by Sean Boxer
I'm landing in Canada in a couple of weeks and I'm afraid to say that, in all my research of this great country, I didn't pay too much attention to Tim Hortons.

I did visit one, but honestly, the doughnuts didn't look that good - cold, dusty and sitting on a shelf. I left with just a coffee.

I'm used to doughnuts made to order by some gypo at a fairground, produced by a little machine that fires a hoop of dough into molten fat/lard/oil (I'm not sure, probably oil), then the aforementioned carnie pokes them with a wooden stick onto a small metal conveyorbelt that takes them out of the fat, plonking them down on a bed of sugar, rolls them around a bit, puts 4 or 6 in a brown paper bag and charges you 20p (it's probably gone up since my last time).

These are my questions,

Do Tom Horton's make doughnuts like this? So hot you have to wait 5 minutes or you'll burn your mouth.

If they don't, have you all forgotten about the 'fairground/end of pier' style back in the old country, or do you prefer the cold, dusty ones on the shelf?

My wife has told me about Beaver Tails and something about molten tree sap poured onto a table made of snow. These both seem immediate, fresh and hot - like our old doughnuts - why do Canadian's settle for cold doughnuts? I don't get it.

Thanks for listening
Old May 30th 2004, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by iaink
I think the point is he looked and wasn't tempted into trying.
Old May 30th 2004, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by iaink

Iain
So they're not hot then?
Old May 30th 2004, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sean Boxer

i think you call that a dusting of sugar rather than dust!!!!
Old May 30th 2004, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

They used to bake them fresh but now they are delivered made and the bakers just basically put them in a giant microwave round the back and re-heat them.

If you want hot ones go to a Krispy-Kreme and outside every store that bakes them (rather than re-sells them like say Loblaws) you will see a large neo sign and they illuminate the sign everytime a fresh batch come out of the oven so you know they are still hot. If not all you need is like a coupl eof seconds in the microwave.
Old May 30th 2004, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

It is the same reason why brits settle for warm beer!!!

We like them that way!
Old May 30th 2004, 6:06 am
mickj

Its a matter of choice i think, we ( my wife and I ) and people we know, prefer the hot ones, and we are quite happy to pop down to the krispe creme store 10mins away, where you can see them being made through the glass, and on the conveyor belt.

Don't worry about the beer, how do you like your curry

Originally posted by Corky
why do Canadian's settle for cold doughnuts? I don't get it.
It is the same reason why brits settle for warm beer!!!

We like them that way!

Old May 30th 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Like my curry hot and spicey with lots of sauce..........and cold beer!
Old May 30th 2004, 7:13 am
mickj

Not a warm beer then Same here, nice hot curry, pilau rice, naan bread and all that. How i miss bricklane in london. Best curry we've had over here, was in Montreal, a buffet in the evening, all you can eat for less than $10

Originally posted by Corky
Like my curry hot and spicey with lots of sauce..........and cold beer!

Old May 30th 2004, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Blimey, some of you guys are almost hosstile.

Obviously I'm going to have to be careful when talking about doughnuts once I arrive.

Thanks for the coment about the neon sign, I'll keep a look out.

By the way, I haven't had a doughnut in over 10 years, I live in Hong Kong and we don't have them here, I'm hoping to make up for lost time.

See you all at Weight Watchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.